The new AS level bio exams.... Watch

The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
are cancerous, the old spec papers were easier compared to the papers we have to do this year, after looking at some new spec exam papers it doesn't even look like Biology anymore, the questions papers are full of graphs, data, mathematical and practical questions, barely any questions from the content. Just how am I supposed to prepare in order to score top grades in these exam? There aren't enough of these new spec past papers.
rrhr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
practise the old papers...
rrhr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
that's how the rest of us are doing it.../have done it.....

i get what u r saying and it's true but its just how it is...
rrhr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it's about application now and specificity..know ur content inside out.
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The RAR)
are cancerous, the old spec papers were easier compared to the papers we have to do this year, after looking at some new spec exam papers it doesn't even look like Biology anymore, the questions papers are full of graphs, data, mathematical and practical questions, barely any questions from the content. Just how am I supposed to prepare in order to score top grades in these exam? There aren't enough of these new spec past papers.
I am so sick of people moaning that there aren't enough past papers for new specifications. Do all the old spec papers because 90% or more of the content is exactly the same.

The laws of science haven't changed because the exam boards changed the specifications. A small number of the old questions obviously won't be relevant but most of the content, facts and what you need to know is exactly the same. Plants haven't started using robots to make energy just because the exam specifications have changed. The old papers aren't perfect but they're still incredibly useful.
k.n.h.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rrhr)
practise the old papers...
The OP just said the old papers are easier than the current exams, so revising from the old papers won't help from what I see here..
rrhr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
kataali mate, read the response above u...
HeadHoncho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kataali)
The OP just said the old papers are easier than the current exams, so revising from the old papers won't help from what I see here..
Yet many have gotten A* in the new a level using old spec papers and less new resources ...

They are still helpful
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Past papers help you memorise content: most of them were mainly just writing down what you knew and maybe some basic application.

Take a look at the questions listed on... what was it... er... RIGHT! http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...l-wjec-eduqas/
Bio Factsheet. Most of the questions are application, and can get difficult if you go down the rabbit hole and do enough of them to find the hard ones. That site also has Physics and Maths (per the name) and other nonsense too, if you care for that.

I can guarantee that if you memorise your textbook(s), reading it/them over at least ten times and learning every page word for word, and doing all of those questions, you'll get an A*.
rrhr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
and if those old papers don't help what do u want us to do? other people will be on the same boat then surely too?
rrhr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ur still bloody lucky...look at the 2 years above u that only had barely any spec papers to revise from for the new a level..u had the new gcse, they the new a level..and we all know which is tougher...........u have 2 sets of AS papers to revise from plus spec and locked papers.
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by rrhr)
and if those old papers don't help what do u want us to do? other people will be on the same boat then surely too?
The old spec papers are still useful, is just that the new exams have more mathematical questions and questions related to development of practicals that the old spec papers don't have enough of
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My year was the first year to do the new AS and A Level biology exams and all we had was the old spec past papers and 3 sets of specimens. Still came out with an A*, so it's possible, I assure you - especially considering you now have the real 2017 papers to look at.
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
My year was the first year to do the new AS and A Level biology exams and all we had was the old spec past papers and 3 sets of specimens. Still came out with an A*, so it's possible, I assure you - especially considering you now have the real 2017 papers to look at.
Did they also help you tackle those heavy maths based and practical based questions?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Did they also help you tackle those heavy maths based and practical based questions?
The specimens did, yes and the old past papers to some extent. The maths isn't difficult though, it's just understanding how to use the equations given which is what your teachers are there for surely...

Also your textbook should have some examples if your exam board is decent.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know how you feel - I was in the first year to do the new economics AS level, and the type of questions being asked were not only far harder, but also structured completely differently, than the old papers. I did loads of old papers, but they didn't prepare me for the new ones.

What you have to remember though, is that grades are allocated over a bell curve, so even if you think you did worse on a new paper compared to an old paper, it's likely you will still get the same grade you would have got under the old specification. I thought my AS Econ exam went terribly, but I still ended up getting an A.
MezmorisedPotato
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's why they lower grade boundaries, because it's slightly harder, they'll accommodate for it.
For example in June 2017 AQA AS exams, 78/150 equates to an A which is 52%. In June 2016, 88/150 was an A which is roughly 59%.
However, as the third batch to sit it, you have so much more resources than people who sat it the first and second times.
Also, I personally felt there isn't a major change in difficulty of the papers, the content is relatively the same.
Yes, there's slightly more mathematical content, but not too difficult and ones which can be done with basic knowledge of formulaes and GCSE level maths.
I suggest you use other exam boards new specification papers to get better practise of new specification provided they're of similar type.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (56)
15.47%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (32)
8.84%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.89%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (53)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
11.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
30.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed