what do you do if you hit a dog Watch

ellietheelephant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
so hopefully it wont happen but what do you have to do if you hit a dog? if its dead i suppose there isnt really anything you can do but also if it was still alive i wouldnt know where to take it anyway. but then i would feel nasty just driving off and not doing anything. i remember hearing you have to tell the police or something if its a dog but not cat but this seems a bit extreme.
YAP
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If I recall, it depends on the type of animal: if they have cloven hooves (like dogs) one has to stop, do nothing, then drive off. Cats, on the other hand, one has no obligation to stop.

And there's another rule: if you want to eat anything you yourself have driven into (e.g. a deer, yes I've had to dodge deer in the past) you cannot, but the next person along can pick it up and have it .
sauce
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
so wierd
bella127
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
...since when have dogs had hooves?

If you hit a dog, you do have to report it to the police - they are notifiable animals. It's also common decency to stop, check for identification, perhaps enquire at nearby houses, and certainly inform the nearest/your vets.
joeydeacon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
any half decent human being would pull over and see if the animal is ok, regardless of whether it's a cat or a dog, then call the RSPCA or check their collar for the owners tel no. I have pulled over to help cats in the road that I personally haven't even hit.
Jangrafess
Badges: 18
Report 11 years ago
It's because cats are roaming animals, and dogs aren't.

Nothing to do with ye famous cloven hoof of the dog. (:hmmmm:)
lincs_b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends on your morals. If you felt bad you'd stop and get it to the nearest vets. If not then just lie to yourself "I thought it was a fox it doesn't matter" It would really depend if it were safe to stop.
Cj-Tj
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If its still alive I would be inclined to kill it depending on injuries. If you do admit to it and its still living then there could be one hell of a vets bill to pay.....

Any why are foxes any less worth stopping for than dogs? Dont get me wrong, I hate foxes, but as with all blood sports at least make a clean kill. Guns who cant hit a barn door at 20 paces are just a pain in the arse when someone with skill could have hit the same thing and killed it with 1 shot rather than 3 or 4. Meh... im going to stop now before I go off on one about foxhunting and stupid laws....
jawads
Report 11 years ago
im sure the law says u hav 2 stop for anything u hit if u notice it. Otherwise ur breaking the law, but then why wouldnt u stop, u cant just hit an animal and leave it there.
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
i thaught it was law that you stop and check dogs? i know you have to tell the police but im not certain about leaving the scene. :hmmmm:
Y'anami!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My dad hit a pigeon before.. and we drove on. Is that bad?

This is actually a pretty interesting thread..lol
Llamaaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if I hit a dog I would pull over, look to see if it had a collar on, if so phone the number on the collar. If not, I would go to the nearest house and ask if they know the dog. If it were still alive I would move it out of the path of future cars...actually I'd do the same if it were dead.

With the deer thing, you are not ever supposed to eat the deer or take it- you are supposed to phone the local authority. The rule about the next person picking it up is only applicable to game birds- so pheasants and so forth.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by YAP)
If I recall, it depends on the type of animal: if they have cloven hooves (like dogs) one has to stop, do nothing, then drive off. Cats, on the other hand, one has no obligation to stop.

And there's another rule: if you want to eat anything you yourself have driven into (e.g. a deer, yes I've had to dodge deer in the past) you cannot, but the next person along can pick it up and have it .
Dogs don't have 'cloven hooves'! They have paws and claws.

I thought you had to tell the police if you ran over a dog...
shell_xx
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I seem to remember a story of a guy who got arrested because he hit a cat, and instead of stopping he ran over it again to put it out of it's misery...
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, if I were to hit a dog, the first thing I would do is to inspect the MG for damage look at the name tag to find out where it lived, throw the corpse into the undergrowth at the side of the road and walk back and tell the owners where to collect their pet.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My mum hit a dog, it got stuck in the wheel arch and you could hear it dying in the wheel arch. Was pretty horrific. We informed the police but apparently it was a stray so, meh.

Couldn't do anything else by but drive on and hope that it died quicker.
Lantick
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Check you car has no damage, and keep on rolling baby!

Dogs should be on leads!
sauce
Report 11 years ago
if it was safe then I would pull over and try and find the dog(if it ran away that is) but not go too near it in case it wasn't friendly. if it was hurt but quite tame I would probably go a bit closer to it see if it had any injuries/how severe said injuries were and then check it's collar for any tags. If there was a number/address I'd phone the number and take it from there if I got through.
If it was a vicious guttersnipe I'd back way off even if it was hurt BUT conscious/walking around as I don't wanna get hurt. Unless it was a small dog :p: then I'd just grab it by the scruff/collar and look quickly before it side gnawed me.
If the dog was dead/dying/severely hurt so can't move and I think it's dead, I'd cry for a bit then get back in my car, check for a tag and try and get hold of owner while crying I'd feel so awful...
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ellietheelephant)
so hopefully it wont happen but what do you have to do if you hit a dog? if its dead i suppose there isnt really anything you can do but also if it was still alive i wouldnt know where to take it anyway. but then i would feel nasty just driving off and not doing anything. i remember hearing you have to tell the police or something if its a dog but not cat but this seems a bit extreme.
If I hit a dog in my car, i'd call home and tell them to get the BBQ on the go.

Yummy.
wisden14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Right for the whole legal situation, Road Traffic Act says:

You only have a duty to stop if you injure an animal; where “animal” means horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog.

Additionally though with the Protection of Badgers Act, it is worth notifying the police of any injury to a badger.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.82%
No (135)
74.18%

Watched Threads