German GCSE Higher (9-1) Watch

Michelle Parks
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone know how to actually PASS german. I am…STURUGGLING to do it. And it doesnt help native speakers are also taking the test and the grade boundaries are so high. In class when were practicing i would about 6 grade but we we recently did our mocks and im not even at a passing level and i acctually put it effort. Does anyone know how to get better or if you do speak german or toke it for GCSE's how can i improve?? xx
Krokodilo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How many years have you had German so far, and when will your exams be (and what exam board)? Where do you have your problems / what were your difficulties in what kind of task in the tests? Could you spontaneously write a simple paragraph about your day without using a dictionary/vocab list? What learning materials/books do you use and how often do you revise? Do you revise without any results, or do you actually have moments of understanding and ? Did you receive feedback/advice from the teacher or anyone?
Michelle Parks
Rep:
?
So german is a two year course and i started it in year 10 and im in year 11 so almost 2 years. our exam board is AQA and im doing higher. my problem is honestly..i just understand it. the vocab, the english (like which order to place it in) and when i do understand it everything just goes out when i do exams like the techniques. 9-1 doesnt give you a vocab list, thats the thing, if they did it would be much easier. you honestly have to be german to get this. i can write a paragraphs spontaneously with some errors cause i dont know all the words in german. we use CGP and OXFORD AQA GCSE HIGHER. i dont really revise because i dont understand so why waste time when i know i cant do it and there are some moments when i do understand but that wll go away very quickly
SophieEliz37
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay... so I did GCSE German on the old spec last time around. I couldnt speak a word of it and tell you what it mean, but i still managed to get a C and som B's in my controlled tasks. I dont know what the new spec is like, but we basically had a written and spoken exam which was the COURSE WORK and then for the FINAL EXAM we had a listeneing and a reading paper. We knew to topics on all of the papers before hand so we could learn vocab before, and write and memorise the writing and speaking before hand. If yours is anything like mine, my tips would be:

1. make sure your teacher is amazing! mine would suggest lines and different vocab to put into my pieces.
2.if you learn the essays or speeches off by heart then you dont even need to know how to put the language together.
3. vocab is your best friend if you do have to put things together on the spot. once you learn the sentence structure and how to form sentences that make sense, go away and learn as much vocab as possible. the quizlet app was good for games that your teacher can put together for learning vocab for the whole class, and its free for the school to use. have a vocab book where you have english on one side and the german on the other. make cards with english on one half and turn it over to see the german. just get as much fancy vocab as the harder the word the higher the mark, same with sentenc structure; the more complex the structure is the higher the mark.

Ill try and find my german stuff and upload photos of example for you!
SophieEliz37
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SophieEliz37)
Okay... so I did GCSE German on the old spec last time around. I couldnt speak a word of it and tell you what it mean, but i still managed to get a C and som B's in my controlled tasks. I dont know what the new spec is like, but we basically had a written and spoken exam which was the COURSE WORK and then for the FINAL EXAM we had a listeneing and a reading paper. We knew to topics on all of the papers before hand so we could learn vocab before, and write and memorise the writing and speaking before hand. If yours is anything like mine, my tips would be:

1. make sure your teacher is amazing! mine would suggest lines and different vocab to put into my pieces.
2.if you learn the essays or speeches off by heart then you dont even need to know how to put the language together.
3. vocab is your best friend if you do have to put things together on the spot. once you learn the sentence structure and how to form sentences that make sense, go away and learn as much vocab as possible. the quizlet app was good for games that your teacher can put together for learning vocab for the whole class, and its free for the school to use. have a vocab book where you have english on one side and the german on the other. make cards with english on one half and turn it over to see the german. just get as much fancy vocab as the harder the word the higher the mark, same with sentenc structure; the more complex the structure is the higher the mark.

Ill try and find my german stuff and upload photos of example for you!
do excuse my poor spelling and grammer, my fake nails makes it hard to type lol
SophieEliz37
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so ill intsert some photos of things that i found helpful...
test yourself at least once or twice a week on vocab. i revised mine over the weekend, then tested monday, then learnt more over the week and tested on friday. i found the two guides there also useful. i may be selling them as i never wrote in them i only used the questions. past paper questions are especially important. right now i would be doing a few in class or your revision sessions, maybe a set from a paper a week or so. during the 6 weeks before the exam, past paper questions and exam style questions would be my main source of revision. i know they will be limited as its a whole new gcse style, but even the old style gcse papers will come in use a lot. Name:  german 1.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  508.4 KB
Attached files
SophieEliz37
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
also even though i was not very smart when it came to german, i still took higher tier. i dont know about the new spec but on the old spec it was a lot easier toget a C on the higher than it was on the foundation, as on higher listening paper you only needed something like 25 out of 40 to get a C and on foundation it was 34 out of 40 for a C. yeah, higher content is harder, but you get used to the sort of language that they use and the questions to the point where you learn how to pick out the key words in texts and questions. i did edexcel by the way, which is one of the easier exam boards when it comes to german, but this advise applies to all exam boards on the old spec at least, and im hoping that transfers over to the new spec. hope this has all helped!
Michelle Parks
Rep:
?
Thank u so much for the tips and pictures xx
Angel_Chen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Michelle Parks)
So german is a two year course and i started it in year 10 and im in year 11 so almost 2 years. our exam board is AQA and im doing higher. my problem is honestly..i just understand it. the vocab, the english (like which order to place it in) and when i do understand it everything just goes out when i do exams like the techniques. 9-1 doesnt give you a vocab list, thats the thing, if they did it would be much easier. you honestly have to be german to get this. i can write a paragraphs spontaneously with some errors cause i dont know all the words in german. we use CGP and OXFORD AQA GCSE HIGHER. i dont really revise because i dont understand so why waste time when i know i cant do it and there are some moments when i do understand but that wll go away very quickly
I'm in the same position and only started learning German in Y10. There is a vocab list on the AQA website, but there are ridiculous amounts to learn that I've not bothered, as not all the vocab will be on the tests. Good luck
Michelle Parks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angel_Chen)
I'm in the same position and only started learning German in Y10. There is a vocab list on the AQA website, but there are ridiculous amounts to learn that I've not bothered, as not all the vocab will be on the tests. Good luck
Oh really?! Thank u
Krokodilo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1rH3pPBmQ
cj_sS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thank god i took spanish - german seems hellish
Michelle Parks
Rep:
?
(Original post by cj_sS)
thank god i took spanish - german seems hellish
it is ngl lol
Michelle Parks
Rep:
?
hi sorry do u have a pic cause i really cant see the vocab
Angel_Chen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi sorry do u have a pic cause i really cant see the vocab
Here is the link
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/lang...ent/vocabulary
Michelle Parks
Rep:
?
Thank you sooo much x
Angel_Chen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you sooo much x
np, I would send it to you but it's like 50 pages :lol:
MontyZuma
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Biggest piece of advice - make yourself an account on the website Quizlet. Search 'GCSE German vocab' and start learning the vocab. This is the best way to do well by learning vocab.

You also need to practise writing and speaking for the exams. Come up with a list of all the different topics (e.g. Holidays, school, family, chores, days out, my region) and just try to write 30 words or so spontaneously on each one (if anyone does this for French or German I will be very happy to correct their passages). You will of course at first need to use a dictionary and notes etc. but if you do it enough you will hopefully have enough in your head you can say.

Do a similar thing for speaking. Think of the different topics and try to construct sentences in your head using vocab. Maybe find a partner also doing German and try saying these out loud to them.

Make sure you have properly revised basic points of grammar. This needs to include as a minimum:

Nominative case
Accusative case
Present tense
Perfect tense (with haben or sein)
Future tense (with werden)
Separable verbs
Conjunctions (e.g Weil and dass with verb to end)

But if you want a higher grade you will certainly need to know the Dative, "conditional", modal verbs and reflexive verbs.

(Those aiming for a grade 9 should aim to learn some extra grammar points e.g. The 1st subjunctive, the passive, conditional perfect, future perfect).

If you need any help with this please ask.

Many people struggle with languages as opposed to their other subjects and to an extent it's true that many find them harder and others just get them. I can assure you however that by putting the work in, I.e. Learning vocab and practising your speaking and writing, you will get a higher grade. You cannot expect to get the same grade as in other subjects if you put the same amount of work in as to them.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Michelle Parks
Rep:
?
np, I would send it to you but it's like 50 pages :lol:
Trust and they acc expect people that dont speak german to learn all hundreds of them
Michelle Parks
Rep:
?
(Original post by MontyZuma)
Hi,

Biggest piece of advice - make yourself an account on the website Quizlet. Search 'GCSE German vocab' and start learning the vocab. This is the best way to do well by learning vocab.

You also need to practise writing and speaking for the exams. Come up with a list of all the different topics (e.g. Holidays, school, family, chores, days out, my region) and just try to write 30 words or so spontaneously on each one (if anyone does this for French or German I will be very happy to correct their passages). You will of course at first need to use a dictionary and notes etc. but if you do it enough you will hopefully have enough in your head you can say.

Do a similar thing for speaking. Think of the different topics and try to construct sentences in your head using vocab. Maybe find a partner also doing German and try saying these out loud to them.

Make sure you have properly revised basic points of grammar. This needs to include as a minimum:

Nominative case
Accusative case
Present tense
Perfect tense (with haben or sein)
Future tense (with werden)
Separable verbs
Conjunctions (e.g Weil and dass with verb to end)

But if you want a higher grade you will certainly need to know the Dative, "conditional", modal verbs and reflexive verbs.

(Those aiming for a grade 9 should aim to learn some extra grammar points e.g. The 1st subjunctive, the passive, conditional perfect, future perfect).

If you need any help with this please ask.

Many people struggle with languages as opposed to their other subjects and to an extent it's true that many find them harder and others just get them. I can assure you however that by putting the work in, I.e. Learning vocab and practising your speaking and writing, you will get a higher grade. You cannot expect to get the same grade as in other subjects if you put the same amount of work in as to them.
Thank you for this. I will try and put in more effort that possible but with native speakers doing the test and the boundaries for german being really high, more higher than french or spanish it really does lower you down
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads