A level choices and Uni courses Watch

Jih
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I didn't take chemistry at A level because at the time i was choosing my subjects i hadn't thought about going into medicine, but for the last few weeks I've been really interested in dermatology and want to pursue a career in it. However, you first have to go into medical school and to do that, chemistry A level is required. I am taking biology, sociology and English Lit.

I spoke to my career advisor who told me that the best chance i have now is to first study a scientific degree such as Microbiology then i can go into Med school without chemistry. I was reading further into it and saw that there is a Medical microbiology degree that some universities offer and i don't need chemistry for it.

Also, becoming a dermatologist takes approximatly 12 years but while i was browsing through the internet i found a couple of websites that said that with a scientific degree, i could take a 'fast track' and study medicine for only 4 years instead of 5-6. Is this true? Does anyone have any advise?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jih)
I didn't take chemistry at A level because at the time i was choosing my subjects i hadn't thought about going into medicine, but for the last few weeks I've been really interested in dermatology and want to pursue a career in it. However, you first have to go into medical school and to do that, chemistry A level is required. I am taking biology, sociology and English Lit.

I spoke to my career advisor who told me that the best chance i have now is to first study a scientific degree such as Microbiology then i can go into Med school without chemistry. I was reading further into it and saw that there is a Medical microbiology degree that some universities offer and i don't need chemistry for it.

Also, becoming a dermatologist takes approximatly 12 years but while i was browsing through the internet i found a couple of websites that said that with a scientific degree, i could take a 'fast track' and study medicine for only 4 years instead of 5-6. Is this true? Does anyone have any advise?
You could do a four year graduate entry medical degree after a BSc in microbiology yes. Do bear in mind the graduate entry courses are more competitive and have fewer places, so you will need to build a strong application throughout your degree. More info here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dicine-a-guide

You may also be eligible for some medical foundation degrees:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...icine_Programs

I would also add that dermatology is a small and relatively niche medical specialty - you probably won't get much exposure to it during medical school, your first two years as a doctor (the foundation programme) or even the first two years of general internal medicine training (currently known as core medical training which you have to do before starting dermatology specialty training). In other words, you will have to go through many years of studying and working in areas which have very little direct relevance to dermatology, so before you commit to a microbiology degree, make sure that you're firstly interested in medicine and being a doctor in general, and not just in one particular area. I would suggest some general medical work experience (in a GP practice or on a hospital ward) so you can see more about what the job is like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

What are your favourite crisps?