Hughcifer
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Please could I get some help with the following question:

A 1300kg car travels at a steady speed, covering 75m in 5.0 seconds. Frictional forces are constant and are 450N in total. Work out the power output of the engine, assuming 100% efficiency.

Here is my attempt:

Ke = 1/2mv^2 1/2*1300*(75/5)^2 = 146250J
w=fd 450*75 = 33750J
146250 + 33250 = 180,000J
p = e/t 180,000/5 = 36000W
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
if you take the velocity to be positive then you must take the frictional force to be negative.
Hughcifer
Rep:
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
if you take the velocity to be positive then you must take the frictional force to be negative.
Thanks, but I have tried this and:

146250-33750 = 112500 J
112500/5 = 23000 W

Comes up as incorrect, am I still doing it wrong?
BTAnonymous
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
the frictional force = -450 and the distance covered by that constant force is 75m. work out the work done by the frictional force and then subtract it from the kinetic energy of the car. then divide this new energy by the change in time.
BTAnonymous
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hughcifer)
Thanks, but I have tried this and:

146250-33750 = 112500 J
112500/5 = 23000 W

Comes up as incorrect, am I still doing it wrong?
what should the answer be?
Hughcifer
Rep:
what should the answer be?
I don't know, that's why i'm asking Student Room.
BTAnonymous
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I don't know, that's why i'm asking Student Room.
so how do you know 23000W is incorrect? I got 22500W but I'm assuming you rounded up.
Hughcifer
Rep:
so how do you know 23000W is incorrect? I got 22500W but I'm assuming you rounded up.
This question is from Isaac Physics, they tell you whether your answer is right or not, but don't tell you the answer or how to get it.
BTAnonymous
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
This question is from Isaac Physics, they tell you whether your answer is right or not, but don't tell you the answer or how to get it.
oh right. have you tried 65,250? if it's correct, I'll work through it.
Hughcifer
Rep:
oh right. have you tried 65,250? if it's correct, I'll work through it.
No sorry, Isaac Physics says it is incorrect.
BTAnonymous
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No sorry, Isaac Physics says it is incorrect.
last answer, 58500W
Hughcifer
Rep:
last answer, 58500W
Sorry, but they say that's wrong too.
BTAnonymous
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Sorry, but they say that's wrong too.
lol, no idea then.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Power = Work done / time

Work done = Force * distance

---
in one second the car travels 75/5 meters against a constant force of 450N
so what is the work done per second (i.e. power)?
Hughcifer
Rep:
(Original post by Joinedup)
Power = Work done / time

Work done = Force * distance

---
in one second the car travels 75/5 meters against a constant force of 450N
so what is the work done per second (i.e. power)?
6800N, thanks!
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
6800N, thanks!
Watts! :facepalm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (118)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (94)
27.01%
No (92)
26.44%
I'm not sure (44)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise