WWEKANE
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
it says this sentence in the cgp boom

composites are made of materials embedded in another. fibres and fragments of a material (known as the reinforcement) are surrounded by a matrix acting as a binder

i really dont understand this sentence and this is the first introduction

i understand composites are a material together other i think i dont understand fibres/fragments and i really dont understand the matrix acting as a binder i dont even know what a matrix is please help
ChemistryWebsite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Think of carbon fibre composite as an example.

There is a weave of carbon fibres "fabric" within a "plastic" matrix. Together these are the composite material we know as carbon fibre.
The plastic is usually polyurethane which is a condensation polymer.

The raw carbon fibre fabric , which is a flexible woven material, is placed into a mould.
The uncured monomer(s) are added to the mould and this is cured into polyurethane in a special vacuum press. This results in a solid polyurethane matrix containing the carbon fibre weave within.

The woven carbon fibre is the reinforcement and the cured polyurethane is the matrix.

(Sometimes you will hear the mould referred to as the "tool".)

Other plastic mouldings are often composites. Frequently a quantity of glass fibres are included within moulded polyamide or polypropylene mouldings. Fibreglass is also (flexible) glass fibre, often woven, within a polymer matrix, usually polyurethane.
WWEKANE
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
thank you 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.04%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.35%
I need help with my personal statement (86)
41.55%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
25.12%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads