Where can a 14 year old get a job in UK?

Watch this thread
lucyaquinn03
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys, does anybody know any kind of local places that would hire a 14 year old? I live near to Glasgow, Scotland. I have asked lots of retail shops and all say 15/16. It would be really helpful if anyone knew anything? I have also checked on the governments website and you can work at weekends for maximum of 4 hours once you are 13. Hope someone can help. Thanks x
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lucyaquinn03)
Hi guys, does anybody know any kind of local places that would hire a 14 year old? I live near to Glasgow, Scotland. I have asked lots of retail shops and all say 15/16. It would be really helpful if anyone knew anything? I have also checked on the governments website and you can work at weekends for maximum of 4 hours once you are 13. Hope someone can help. Thanks x
As every 14 year old who asks this question is told you won’t be able to get a proper job as such until you are 16 with most places and even if they do employ you you have no minimum wage so you can be paid literally anything.

Best options are a paper round. Or try asking neighbours and family etc if they want any help with babysitting, dog walking car cleaning etc.
shadowdweller
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Snoozinghamster)
As every 14 year old who asks this question is told you won’t be able to get a proper job as such until you are 16 with most places and even if they do employ you you have no minimum wage so you can be paid literally anything.

Best options are a paper round. Or try asking neighbours and family etc if they want any help with babysitting, dog walking car cleaning etc.
Pretty much this really - a paper round/babysitting etc can be an okay amount of money though, so it's definitely worth looking into
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Like has been said in a lot of other threads- Pretty much everywhere wont take on under 16's. A) because of all the rules that surround employing school kids and B) you dont have a national insurance number until you are nearly 16.
A paper round is probably your best bet.
Bubbles950
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi I am looking for a job too! And I have looked at so many websites I can't find one I live in the UK so It's best to get a permit and CV first then you can maybe go ask hairdressers if you can work there. I have tried it and it works!
lucyaquinn03
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles950)
Hi I am looking for a job too! And I have looked at so many websites I can't find one I live in the UK so It's best to get a permit and CV first then you can maybe go ask hairdressers if you can work there. I have tried it and it works!
hey! thanks for replying...
What do you mean by a permit? x
Runescapian
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
They probably mean a work permit. You apply via your local council. I can only find a link for England and Wales though.

https://www.gov.uk/child-work-permit-england-wales
Doones
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles950)
(Original post by Runescapian)
They probably mean a work permit. You apply via your local council. I can only find a link for England and Wales though.

https://www.gov.uk/child-work-permit-england-wales
Only if -13, and it's the employer that needs to get this not the worker.
Taybahhusnain
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So can I baby sit for any company or do I have to do it privately with friends or family etc??
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey! The only thing i can think of is a paperround maybe?
Hope this helps!
Sophia
Hollieslaterrx
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I’m 14 and some restaurants hire 14 year olds as bussers (washing dishes and refilling drinks etc) If you ring up certain restaurants they might hire you
zavina xo
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
hey there, could you give some examples of restaurants that I could ring up because I have no clue who to call I need help 😭.looking for jobs at 14 is not easy😂x
Last edited by zavina xo; 2 years ago
lucyaquinn03
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by zavina xo)
hey there, could you give some examples of restaurants that I could ring up because I have no clue who to call I need help 😭.looking for jobs at 14 is not easy😂x
Hiya, I'm now 16 and have had 2 jobs since I made this thread... Try out local cafes(when they re-open of course) and for right now try places such as takeaways, chinese, indian, chip shops. In the meantime try selling old things online such as ebay and depop and vinted to make some extra pennies...

Hope this helps
Heebafatima01
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi , I’m heeba and I’m 14 looking for a job a job as a cashier , local shops or restaurants etc is fine just need good pay no experience
lucy_quinnn
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi Heeba! You’re really really going to struggle to find a job - never mind one with good pay. This is a difficult task even for someone of working age! I managed to get a job in a cafe age 14, however I was paid £4 an hour for 3-4hours on Saturday. It wasn’t very good. With you desiring that good wage Id advise against cafes/restaurants just now, especially considering the current COVID19 situation they’re not a reliable job to have just now. The best advice I can offer you for your age and for the current situation is to sell on online platforms - ebay, vinted, depop for instance! This is very easy to do and I have been doing it since I was your age with success. You can start just by clearing out and getting rid of belongings you don’t need anymore (think old clothes, things that don’t fit or you don’t wear, toys from childhood you may not use anymore, miscellaneous items, if you have younger siblings ask your parents if you can sell their old clothing/toys too)! It’s money you can make from home, whenever you want. If you have any questions about that let me know )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (44)
30.56%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (64)
44.44%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (35)
24.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.69%

Watched Threads