The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
helllo!! it is my first post in this forum:smile:

I got an offer for a studentship to do PhD after a department interview, then I sent off my applications for college for the mid-March gathered field. However, I have not heard anything from them yet - is it something to worry about??

Please advice:smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
mercuryz
helllo!! it is my first post in this forum:smile:

I got an offer for a studentship to do PhD after a department interview, then I sent off my applications for college for the mid-March gathered field. However, I have not heard anything from them yet - is it something to worry about??

Please advice:smile:

Nope, college offers take a long while to sort out so I wouldn't worry. You'll hear something eventually so I'm afraid it's just a case of wait 'n' see. Sorry I can't help you any more than that but there's no way of speeding them up!
Reply 262
oriel historian
Green is nice. It's up by S[cummer]ville [sorry Somerville, Oxford parlance] and is home to the Radcliffe Observatory. Well cool. I think Green is dominated by medics but not exclusively, it's definitely science-ey though.

Butting in here: haven't Green and Templeton merged to be one college (Green-Templeton, I think, how imaginative...) fairly recently?

Also, in defence of Wolfson: it's closer the centre than Wadham's postgrad accom, and it's out of the Oxford bubble (in a nice way - no road noise, can't see the dreaming spires, and it has a nature reserve...) :smile:

Anyone know when the next post grad prospectus comes out? I want to start thinking about DPhil stuff (I'm not staying at Wadham if I can help it).
Reply 263
Athena

Butting in here: haven't Green and Templeton merged to be one college (Green-Templeton, I think, how imaginative...) fairly recently?

Sort of. The merger is still underway, though, I think, so at this point they're probably still two separate colleges.
Anyone know when the next post grad prospectus comes out? I want to start thinking about DPhil stuff (I'm not staying at Wadham if I can help it).

Probably after the last gathered field for 2008, i.e. July/August(ish). Possibly a bit later. You can just have a look at this year's prospectus, though - they don't actually change that much.
Hi,

I've just received an offer for a Masters at Oxford. Does anyone know how rigid they tend to be with requirements for certain degree marks/classification on your UG course?

Also, how long on average does it take people to hear from a College after being accepted?

Thanks
Reply 265
Lord Fisher
Hi,

I've just received an offer for a Masters at Oxford. Does anyone know how rigid they tend to be with requirements for certain degree marks/classification on your UG course?

It might depend on the course and your individual circumstances, but as far as I know they tend to be pretty strict, and for what it's worth, the university website states that "if a conditional offer is made and the conditions cannot be met, the offer by the University will be withdrawn." So if your offer is conditional on your getting a first, you'd better try to get one...:s-smilie:
Also, how long on average does it take people to hear from a College after being accepted?

It depends. There's no way of telling, really.
I got into Balliol for MPhil Economics!:smile:
It's totally unexpected, because it was my second choice and I didn't know popular colleges like Balliol take in 2nd-choice people!
Lord Fisher
Hi,

Thanks

For me, I got the Keble offer 10 days after the department offer.
As for my 2nd application, the Balliol offer came around 50 days after the department offer.
It varies a lot from college to college...
Reply 268
Why isn't there a thread for Cambridge graduates? *grumps*
Reply 269
Ad-Alta
Why isn't there a thread for Cambridge graduates? *grumps*

There is one, actually - it just never caught on for some reason.:p:

Technically you're not a graduate, though, are you?
Reply 270
hobnob
There is one, actually - it just never caught on for some reason.:p:
Technically you're not a graduate, though, are you?

'Technically' I won't be, no :p:
But I will be 'post' my first undergraduate degree... :biggrin:
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm going to attend Oxford for postgrad studies, and have not as yet been placed at a college (my 'gathered field' was Jan. 18). Now, after much badgering of my faculty, I found out that I was rejected from my first choice (Balliol) and apparently my second (Trinity) was still deciding.

Anyway, today I get an email from the faculty stating that my application had gone to the 'university offices clearing house for college applications.' My question is, what does this mean? Has Trinity passed on me as well, and now I have to wait once more? Or does this mean I have been accepted (somewhere) finally?

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Reply 272
Universeman
I was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm going to attend Oxford for postgrad studies, and have not as yet been placed at a college (my 'gathered field' was Jan. 18). Now, after much badgering of my faculty, I found out that I was rejected from my first choice (Balliol) and apparently my second (Trinity) was still deciding.

Anyway, today I get an email from the faculty stating that my application had gone to the 'university offices clearing house for college applications.' My question is, what does this mean? Has Trinity passed on me as well, and now I have to wait once more? Or does this mean I have been accepted (somewhere) finally?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Sounds to me like they're currently trying to find a college for you (other than Trinity), so yes, you'll probably have to wait a bit longer.:frown:
Same with me. Rejected from both St. John's and New. I don't really understand the criteria of the colleges, as they say admission is on the basis of merit which is pretty much the same as the admission criteria of the faculty. Either way, I called the university and asked them to make sure I'm not allocated to Wolfson, lol...They said they would put it down on my file. As far as I understand, every graduate rejected from the preferred colleges either gets allocated to Wolfson or St. Cross? St. Antony seems to be pretty popular and apparently even rejects people who put it down as their first choice.
dubistokay
Either way, I called the university and asked them to make sure I'm not allocated to Wolfson, lol...

I would certainly be curious as to why you are loath to joining Wolfson?
The college's "modern" architecture and the perceived distance from town seem to be the most common reasons I keep hearing. I can't see why these reasons alone would drive you away.
Yeah, nether Wolfson nor St. Cross is particularly appealing to me, Wolfson less so, however. I wish they would provide a reason as to why I was rejected from my first two choices, but I guess that's wishful thinking. It would also be nice if the process were faster, as I have loans and a visa to apply for (international student) before I move in the summer, and I've now been waiting over 3 months for a placement.

Dubistokay, whom did you call to tell that you didn't want Wolfson?
Reply 276
Don't you think you're making a little to much out of this, perhaps? So Wolfson's a bit lacking in terms of dreaming spiry-ness, but surely that wasn't the reason why you applied?:confused: From all I've heard, it's actually quite a nice college.

Just wait for your letters. You may be making a big fuss about nothing.
Reply 277
Won't you have been rejected from Balliol and Trinity simply because they're popular colleges who will have filled their places with those who heard the results of their applications earlier?
Reply 278
Athena
Won't you have been rejected from Balliol and Trinity simply because they're popular colleges who will have filled their places with those who heard the results of their applications earlier?

:ditto:
Well, I suppose they'll try to maintain a certain subject balance (as opposed to filling half their places with, say, engineers because their results were out earliest), but nevertheless they won't actually have all that many places for any given subject. Especially a tiny college like Trinity, which only has 35 graduate places per year in total.
Reply 279
Also, specific colleges may have particular scholarships or awards attached to them (eg, even though Lincoln rejected my college mother's application on the grounds they were "full", she then got a scholarship that's only tenable at Lincoln, so they're going to have to take her now anyway!)

Latest

Trending

Trending