• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Is history important to you? Why/why not?

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed my history classes at secondary school; learning about the past made me feel more of a complete individual.

'knowledge is power'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Some more than others, i’m all ears to hear about ancient Rome but if it’s about ww2 i’ve heard enough to last a life time. Not interested in wars, very interested in the spartan cheese game.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yes - I love understanding why the world is the way it is today. "If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree."

ReputationRep:
    History should be important to everyone. It helps you understand how things are now and why because of History.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I find modern (19th and 20th centuries) more interesting than like Ancient Greece or what not

ReputationRep:
    All the best and most important lessons are learned from mistakes. The best mistakes to learn from for any individual are those of someone else. The study of history enables us to learn from what has gone before as well as to understand how we got to where we are now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    History should be important to everyone. It helps you understand how things are now and why because of History.
    I was going to say exactly the same thing myself. Everything from the clothes we wear, to the words we speak, to the ancestry of each and every one of us, all owes itself to history, and we should all, therefore, be fascinated by it and have a natural inclination to learn about it. Unfortunately, though, not all of us do.

It's exactly the same thing with science, which annoys me greatly. Science permeates every aspect of our lives and has the potential to advance us as a species (in much the same way that history does), and yet not everyone finds it interesting.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Context means decisions about the future are informed.

I'd recommend Tosh's Why History Matters if anyone's interested deeply on the topic.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I'd recommend Tosh's Why History Matters if anyone's interested deeply on the topic.
    Can you imagine the schoolroom sniggers when the teacher tells the pupils to read their Tosh?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Can you imagine the schoolroom sniggers when the teacher tells the pupils to read their Tosh?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    It's what I am going to study at University, so I hope so .

I just love history, I love learning. I think the most important thing about History is enjoying it, and that will make you a much better thinker of History. Secondly, I think the lessons learned in History can be applied to everyday life,philiosphy,politics,economi cs
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    It's what I am going to study at University, so I hope so .

I just love history, I love learning. I think the most important thing about History is enjoying it, and that will make you a much better thinker of History. Secondly, I think the lessons learned in History can be applied to everyday life,philiosphy,politics,economi cs
    Is there any particular era of history that interests you the most?

ReputationRep:
    'if you don't know history, you are condemned to repeat it' (or a similar quote that seemed to be in every history classroom I've entered 😛 )
    I really like medieval and ancient history, more culture and historical anthropology really, how people lived their lives I find it fascinating. modern history depends. It's less culture and more world wars, which don't interest me and I've learnt about five times anyway 🙄 civil rights/ apartheid were important though.
    I think history, including wars, should definitely be taught, the reasons behind them, their consequences, and how they absolutely shouldn't happen again, but it doesn't need to be so all encompassing in the curriculum. also zero eastern history is covered 😶

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rinofthemill)
    'if you don't know history, you are condemned to repeat it' (or a similar quote that seemed to be in every history classroom I've entered 😛 )
    I really like medieval and ancient history, more culture and historical anthropology really, how people lived their lives I find it fascinating. modern history depends. It's less culture and more world wars, which don't interest me and I've learnt about five times anyway 🙄 civil rights/ apartheid were important though.
    I think history, including wars, should definitely be taught, the reasons behind them, their consequences, and how they absolutely shouldn't happen again, but it doesn't need to be so all encompassing in the curriculum. also zero eastern history is covered 😶
    Ironic that history always repeats despite all those studies

My interest in history pure academic - I don't judge or try to find some moral justification in the past - I just learn how the world was developing, evolved and so on. I would like to investigate Chinese history but it's simply unfathomable:afraid:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    To find out the cultural origins and the establishments of civilizations, an interest in history is very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    To find out the cultural origins and the establishments of civilizations, an interest in history is very helpful.
    wow

very clean my guy

ReputationRep:
    No. Don’t need to haggle over dead people.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dodo0099)
    wow

very clean my guy
    I just know why I appreciate a good book for histories. Another reason to read is to get a picture about the living conditions and circumstances for people in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I just know why I appreciate a good book for histories. Another reason to read is to get a picture about the living conditions and circumstances for people in the past.
    Whoah my dude.

I too like socio-economic history.

#socioeconomicgang

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.