The Student Room Group
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website

Free languages courses and software available to students

Hi, I was wondering if the university offers and free language courses that I would be able to take along side my degree?
Also, I wanted to know if there is any free software available to students such as Microsoft word etc?
If your lucky your university may have a deal with Microsoft and use the DreamSpark platform where you can download whatever tools you may need, Adobe do a student discount on all of their products like Flash, Photoshop what have you... As for learning I think you can still get a 90 day free trial of plural sight along with DreamSpark, if yo don't have that then I'm sure you can find another e-Learning site that does a standard student discount like Udemy, Lynda, ect. But the best e-Learning in my opinion (if you want to do it alongside a degree course) is to find a 4-12 week type of online course made by a world-leading university, these are usually free to everyone! You can find these on the university's website or on a site like Coursera, here's a course about Machine Learning by a Professor from Stanford University https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning Another good site like that is Udacity, really interesting stuff especially with Python. Udacity offers a 'Nanodegree' qualification, not sure if Employers rate that highly but it's better than nothing I guess... Also Microsoft do online certification courses for stuff like C# and the Windows platform in general that are probably more meaningful however not so popular here like they are in America
(edited 6 years ago)
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website
Thanks so much for this info! what is Lynda by the way? I've seen a few unis offer that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending