Spike4848
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
What do we think?

http://education.guardian.co.uk/scho...244868,00.html

- the government wants to introduce compulsory cooking classes in schools!
h82think
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Maybe the class could be split in two (A-H and I-Z) and one half of the year one group does cooking and then swaps over to something else (such as design technology).
SBP
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Well cooking was basically compulsary in my school in year 8 and 9, only for one term though.

I think they just want to gear up young folk for university at an early age; you never know when that cottage pie could come in handy!
SBP
Report 11 years ago
Wait, one thought:

How are they supposed to cram in another lesson i.e. cooking when there's enough subjects in the week to get through with in the first place?
DJW
Report 11 years ago
Other schools manage it.
Ours had the year split into two groups of 4 forms for timetabling anyway, then put the 4 forms into 3 groups and rotated them between doing cooking, textiles and something else I can't for the life of me remember.
You'd do one for a term then next term do another one.

They should probably look at what you actually cook though, all we ever seemed to do was pizza, rock cakes and bread which is completely useless.
SuperSam_Fantastiche
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it's a good idea, if they teach you healthy stuff to do. Then the more experience you get with preparing healthy meals, the less of a chore it is when you get home, making you less likely to cheat and have a pot noodle instead :p:
Eien
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Compulsory

I'll post what I posted in the "Have your say" thread:

I think if the teaching is not too controlled, where the students can use their own creativity to make their own (hopefully) healthy dishes, then I believe it can only do good for attitude towards eating, since I find people tend to appreciate food a lot more after knowing how to make it - just as people can appreciate music in a different way after learning to produce it.
My 'food technology' course was pretty good - we made Burgers from scratch (far better than any other burgers I've eaten) and ANYTHING based on Spanish Cuisine, and my dish, Sea Bream with some kind of garlic and vegetable garnish (can't remember it precisely now) generated a 'marmite' reaction of absolute like and dislike.
While there is the possibility of it not having a huge effect, I can't see it having a majorly negative effect, so I would tend to agree with the thinking behind the idea, if the costs are not exorbitant.
It's also a good step towards balancing practical skills with the theoretical - I think education has verged a little too far away from developing practical skills such as cooking, homemaking, etc. While academia and ICT should take priority in today's world, it wouldn't hurt to not leave students uneducated about general skills once they leave home, which may prove invaluable. While one can say it is the responsibility of the parents for this, it may not be always possible for them to provide it completely.
SBP
Report 11 years ago
This is a tad off topic, but that Lord's Prayer is brilliant!
Lizzielizard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by h82think)
Maybe the class could be split in two (A-H and I-Z) and one half of the year one group does cooking and then swaps over to something else (such as design technology).

We had to do that in S1-2 (year 8-9 I think, in English terms?). Half of the year do cooking first and then swap with the other group for Design and Technology. It was great, wish we still had cooking lessons.
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We had that anyway at my secondary school, until we got to year 10 and then we had the option to drop it. We would do Food tech for a term, Woodwork (or resistant materials I think they called it) Graphics, and textiles all spread out through the year in years 7, 8 and 9.

To be honest it was a waste of time because all we ever got taught to make was Cakes, & pizza which lets be fair wont do the kids of today any good.

If it turns out to be like what I was taught (junk food basically) its pointless.

To be honest, I think they should stop forcing kids to do things like this which in my experience most people didnt enjoy anyway, and didnt really learn anything from.
Of course, it all depends how its executed though, might be alot different to my experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
7%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.12%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.34%
It might lead to more bullying (93)
36.19%
There's nothing they could do (78)
30.35%

Watched Threads