Gtpod
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey, I have a question about UCAS points... I got the following offer from Cardiff a couple of weeks ago:

"A minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points from three GCE Advanced Level subjects"

So I am wondering, if 120 points is an A, and I were to get two As (almost surely going to happen), that would mean I'd have 240/300 points? And so, considering I got a B for my other A-level subject at AS, those 50 points count towards the A-level, so I actually have 290/300 points right now? Does this mean I only need to get 10 points in this third subject this year?

Please put my mind at ease for these evil, evil English exams...
wackysparkle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yes it would actually - These are your full a level grades that they are counting mind you, which I gather you knew already really.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
They want 300 points from full A levels not AS Levels so you will need to get AAC/BBB
2^1/2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A b at AS = U at A2 so it is worthless at the moment, for your offer however if you get up to a D overall at A2 in your lesser subject this will total 300 (120+120+60).
arsenalfan.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If the offer says "BBB"

But say I get ABC, is it okay?
βored
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ No, of course not.

You'll have missed your offer by one grade and your firm choice is likely to reject you.
miss_bojangles
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ooo i'm confused - so do they not add the points from the AS? Does it all have to be the final A-level?
Jhawkins
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think that in saying "A minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points from three GCE Advanced Level subjects", that that means, as others have said, you need to get the points from your A2 Levels. So yeh... BBB or ABC or AAD... maybe lol.
βored
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by miss_bojangles)
ooo i'm confused - so do they not add the points from the AS? Does it all have to be the final A-level?
It depends on the wording of the offer. If they just say 300 points then you can include the dropped AS, if they say 300 points from 3 A-levels then you can't.
Callipygian
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The only add the points from the AS if it says, "from three a levels and 1 AS" or " x points in total"
shinzeX16
Report 11 years ago
Your offer stipulates that the 300 points has to be obtained from 3 full A levels (or A2's). Your AS doesnt count towards your offer.
Henerz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"A minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points from three GCE Advanced Level subjects"

^^ It has to be from full A2 levels. Spot the subtle difference between that and my offer from Sheffield "A minimum of 300 UCAS Tariff points from a maximum of 12 units"

Here, they would count an AS as 3 units, so in theory I could get in with 6 AS levels, but that is not vaild for the OP.
Midnight-Soul
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by arsenalfan.)
If the offer says "BBB"

But say I get ABC, is it okay?
^ No, of course not.

You'll have missed your offer by one grade and your firm choice is likely to reject you.

Erm I thought that was ok, since the extra points for the A cancels out the lost points for the C...isn't that right?

One of my offers was ABB (or AAC), I presume that applies to other offers too even those that don't explicitly write it, that as long as the grades add up to the same, they are equivalent in value and should still be accepted?
βored
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Midnight-Soul)
Erm I thought that was ok, since the extra points for the A cancels out the lost points for the C...isn't that right?

One of my offers was ABB (or AAC), I presume that applies to other offers too even those that don't explicitly write it, that as long as the grades add up to the same, they are equivalent in value and should still be accepted?
No. If they specify grades then you HAVE to get those grades to get in. If they specify points then yes AAC will equal ABB, but if they actually ask for BBB, you HAVE to get BBB or you won't get in.
arsenalfan.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Okay, so if my offer is say 320 pts, then AAC instead of ABB will be fine?
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Unless they require a specific grade in a particular subject, yes.
βored
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yup.
arsenalfan.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
okay thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads