The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm not taking a TV as the license fee is a bit steep considering the amount of money I'm going to have and all the other expenses (I do have a TV card but you still have to pay the fee with them). I think my accommodation is flat style with several people sharing a flat so hopefully someone in mine will bring a TV I can watch if I need to.
Reply 21
jkthorp
im not taking mine, because i think that the tv licensing authority are profiteering b@stards. how can they justify charging each individual student under one roof, probably taking up less space than in an average house, when in a house i could have 500 TVs on one license! (probably)

Ouch. Bet you read the daily mail don'tcha
Fishcat
Ouch. Bet you read the daily mail don'tcha

No, that would be "How can they justify charging 500 students the same amount of money for their licences as 500 immigrants ?"
Reply 23
slowjamz
Hehe, I know, it'll just be us sitting alone in the bar whilst everyone else is glued to their TVs! :tongue: (What block are you in btw?)

I'm in UVW. I had a look through the window at the weekend, the rooms look quite nice compared to other student rooms i've seen, but have hideous curtains. where are you?
nicki04
I did have a look around for similar posts on this subject but could only find stuff about TV licensing. Basically, I was planning on not taking a TV to uni because I didn't want to have to pay for a license and I didn't know how much I'd use it. But I was at the pub with my friends the other day and we got talking about it and literally ALL of them are taking a TV. I asked them why and they said for lazy saturdays/sundays and not to miss favourite shows. My hall only has one TV room for 220-ish people and now I'm wondering whether to take one. The other option is to leave it and take one up at christmas if i decide i want one!! How much do ppl at uni watch tv? Also, if ure crammed into those tiny lil rooms, is there even room for one? I could take it up, see if theres room and if not send it back home with my parents.

Don't take a TV. If you are taking your PC then all you have to do is make sure you have an empty slot on your motherboard for a TV CARD.

Loads people watch TV on their computer but then if the TV Licnesing guy comes round you say you never watch it and it came pre installed with the PC that you bought on sale on a special offer or something.

TV Cards are great. You can record to AVI or Click on the VCD button and make a VCD of the program. You can schedule with it too, some of the better upmarket ones come with a infra red remote control.
Reply 25
i can't actually get any reception in my room so if i'd bought a t.v. license before i got here i'd be really annoyed so you might want to check out what kind of reception you get first of all. we've put one in the lounge of our flat and it's good because everyone can sit around watching it and talking at the same time.
Reply 26
You have to take a tv so you can watch daytime television - specifically Countdown.
Reply 27
I didn't bring up a TV, however one of my flatmates donated his (putting it in the living room) and we bought the license between us. If you're living in a flat with a communal area than that's probably your best bet.

I tried to convince myself I wouldn't want need one beforehand, but I think I'd start to miss not having a TV.

Latest

Trending

Trending