The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) Accommodation discussion thread.

*** If you have questions about accommodation you can ask below or ring - 0330 024 6390 *** :biggrin:*

** From December 2018, Accommodation is now OPEN! You can apply for accommodation with us once you've made your firm choices **

Hello everyone,

We wanted to create this thread so you can ask any questions you have about the accommodation you're applying to, as it can be hard to know which place to choose or you will enjoy the most.

Please leave your questions below for us to answer :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi @SHUGURU and @hallamstudents

Are you both from Sheffield? I just want to know what was is like moving away from home? Just indecisive about ,moving away from home thats all...
:colondollar:
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
If there is a Facebook chat can I be added pls Mario magonya
Original post by Pickle_Rick

Are you both from Sheffield? I just want to know what was is like moving away from home? Just indecisive about ,moving away from home thats all...

Hello!
I am from Chelmsford, Essex which is quite a long way from Sheffield. At the beginning it was a bit strange being so far from home, but very quickly you start to mix with other freshers from all around the country/world who are in a similar situation as you which will settle you down. Sheffield is a very friendly city, everything you need from food to education is close by and you'll soon get comfortable with you surroundings.

Marcus
Hi everyone,

Welcome to our live Q&A, we have Adam who can answer any general questions about Accommodation.

To start this off, did you know that all accommodation is to a high standard, within walking distances to both campuses and there is access to the local amenities and transport links.

Any questions?

Adam
Original post by Pickle_Rick

Hey!

I'm actually from Lincoln, which is about an hour and a half journey on the train. It's a pretty good distance for me because it can be easy and cheap to get home whenever I want to, but I still have a high level of independence which is what I was looking forward to when I decided to move away.

It really depends on what your home life is like already, but I found it both exciting and scary moving away from home! The good thing about Sheffield is how friendly it is like Marcus has said, and how many support services are available at Hallam. Because there's so much going on here, and so many different types of events and activities to get involved in, there will definitely be ways for you to make yourself at home here! For me societies have been a great way to make friends and join in with events that have been fun, friendly and have helped me to create my own new life here. You'll definitely be able to find your own way by looking for opportunities to do the things you love - you'll find new friends and places that make you never want to leave!

I remember telling somebody that I was coming to Sheffield and her saying "you'll never come back then!" I didn't really know what she meant at the time but I definitely do now - Sheffield really feels like my home.

What is it that you feel indecisive about in particular? By the way - love your username!

Ellie :smile:
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi everyone,

Welcome to our live Q&A, we have Adam who can answer any general questions about Accommodation.

To start this off, did you know that all accommodation is to a high standard, within walking distances to both campuses and there is access to the local amenities and transport links.

Any questions?

Adam

Hello,

Roughly how much would accomodation cost me in Sheffield for an en suite room in halls?

Marcus
Original post by hallamstudents
Hello,

Roughly how much would accomodation cost me in Sheffield for an en suite room in halls?

Marcus

You can pay from £100+ depending on the halls of residence and it's location and facilities (room & bed size). For up to date prices, take a look at our website. The rents for September will be updated in the next few weeks.

Adam
Hi everyone,

Any questions?

Adam

I remember when I was applying, I didn't really know a thing about accommodation in Sheffield! Although I could see the names and photos online, I couldn't really grasp what it would be like to actually live in each place when I made my choice.

Are there any ways to look around accommodation even when there isn't an open day on?
You can pay from £100+ depending on the halls of residence and it's location and facilities (room & bed size). For up to date prices, take a look at our website. The rents for September will be updated in the next few weeks.

Adam

Thanks Adam I will take a look.

Also, I have a friend looking to go to the same university as me and it would be great if we can be placed in the same flat in halls. Is this possible?

Marcus
Original post by SHUGURU
I remember when I was applying, I didn't really know a thing about accommodation in Sheffield! Although I could see the names and photos online, I couldn't really grasp what it would be like to actually live in each place when I made my choice.

Are there any ways to look around accommodation even when there isn't an open day on?

Yes, we have student led tours every Wednesday, we have a few open days that are happening in the next few weeks, where you can see a select few halls.

You can contact us 0114 225 5555 and ask for 'Accommodation' if you want to see a specific halls and we can help arrange a viewing for you.

Adam
Hi,
I was just wondering if we would be able to choose who we want to be in a flat with.
Also I was looking at cavendish house and I want to know how many people I would have to share a bathroom with.
Thanks
Thanks Adam I will take a look.

Also, I have a friend looking to go to the same university as me and it would be great if we can be placed in the same flat in halls. Is this possible?

Marcus

When you both submit your application, please use the note section to make any friendship requests and we'll try our best to put you in the same halls and that way you can make more friends whilst your at uni.

Adam
Original post by Jesty Sojan
Hi,
I was just wondering if we would be able to choose who we want to be in a flat with.
Also I was looking at cavendish house and I want to know how many people I would have to share a bathroom with.
Thanks

@Jesty Sojan

When you submit your application, please use the note section to make any friendship requests.

For your Cavendish house question, there are enough bathroom facilities to ensure there aren't any queues in the morning.

Adam
When you both submit your application, please use the note section to make any friendship requests and we'll try our best to put you in the same halls and that way you can make more friends whilst your at uni.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Are there any halls which are located in a quieter area of Sheffield?
For those who are wanting to live in halls, it is what you make it. You have to understand that it will be a different social environment to how you are use to when you are back home but it will be great fun. You will make lots of friends and meet a variety of people from all over the world.

Don't worry, moving away can be a daunting experience but we're here to help you settle in :smile:

Adam
A good time to ask this, too -

Would I be able to live in student halls as a postgraduate student? Are there any halls specifically for mature students, too?
Original post by SHUGURU
A good time to ask this, too -

Would I be able to live in student halls as a postgraduate student? Are there any halls specifically for mature students, too?

Of course, we have many postgrads living in halls. There are no specific halls as each postgraduate will have different requirements or budget. However, halls are predominantly made up of first year undergraduates and although we will try to group you together in postgrad/mature flats you need to bear this in mind when applying. If you decide that halls aren't for you we can also help you find private housing :smile:

Adam
Hi Adam,

Are there any halls which are located in a quieter area of Sheffield?

We have over 20 halls of residence located between both campuses. some of the halls are just on the outskirts of the city centre closer to more residential areas. To view the location of all our halls take a look at our website

Adam
We have over 20 halls of residence located between both campuses. some of the halls are just on the outskirts of the city centre closer to more residential areas. To view the location of all our halls take a look at our website

Adam

Hi again Adam,

Does it ever get over crowded at the halls facilities? e.g. Washing, games room etc.

Marcus

Quick Reply

Latest