Thoughts on LGBT+ representation within the media? Watch

MediaMelon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just wondering whether anyone on here has any opinions on the issue regarding the portrayal of minorities by the media, particularly of the LGBT+ community. I'm putting together a small documentary for my MEST 4 Media Studies production coursework and wanted to gain additional opinions from students outside of my college's population. It doesn't matter where you're from in the world or how you identify - everyone can have a say. I'm open to both good and bad perspectives, it's a neutral discussion after all.

If you could also give me your first name and where you're from that would be fantastic!

You don't have to answer all of these, it could just be one that sticks out/hits close to home for you (Disclaimer: when I refer to "media", it encompasses everything from film, TV, news, streaming, etc.):

1. How do you feel about current LGBT+ representation within the media?
2. How do you feel about the historical portrayal of the LGBT+ community through the media?
3. What tropes/stereotypes come to mind when you think of LGBT representation?
4. Do you feel the community is portrayed in a predominantly positive or negative light? (An example to support your answer would be perfect).
5. Have you watched 'In a Heartbeat'? What was your initial reaction and do you think this is the right way forward in light of representation for universal audiences?
6. Do you feel that there is an impact on how society treats/perceives members of the LGBT+ community from their media portrayal? (Examples to support your opinion would be perfect)

Thanks for your time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads