peteruk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
How did you guys find it?

I found it pretty easy - wasn't a single question I missed out or didn't know.

Did you also get the meaning of the algorithm at the end? Would take the input of a base 10 positive integer (N) and output it in base B.
thereddevil
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are you sure its AQA?
peteruk
(Original post by thereddevil)
Are you sure its AQA?
My mistake, meant OCR, changed now.
seanw
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didnt do this paper, but everyone I spoke to said they found it easy, except the last question.
LethalBizzle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hey I took the paper, found it ok. Can you explain your thinking for the last question? I just put this it would output the digits of the input in reverse order..
D90
Report 11 years ago
Found it alright. But I was unsure with linear programming when putting it on the graph
Lili!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Found it ok. Was bamboozled by the second question though! I think it was the second.. The one with that 3 by 3 grid with numbers 1 to 9 in it. How did everyone draw the graph?

AND! Which route did people get for Dijsktra's? Via the airport or her friends' house? I thought I'd done it right but then my friend (who normally gets most questions right :p:), got a different answer. So yeah, that worried me a bit.
LethalBizzle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Graph for question two was quite simple, think of a window with 4 panes. It was neither eulerian or semi-eulerian as it had 4 odd nodes.

Djisktras I went via the airport, came out to 275 I think. Anyone else think that was a ridculous question? Giving marks away for being able to read.

Anyone else get a really small feasible region on question 5 I think it was?
Lili!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I got a small feasible region

I got the same for you on the graph question too, phew!

Didn't for Dijsktra's though, grr. I thought I might have made a mistake but didn't have time to check. Man, how annoying.
theshape
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I thought it quite an easy paper. The only bit i didn't get was the last question - i was rushed for time so i missed out the last part and i didn't really understand what the purpose of the algorithm was.
peteruk
(Original post by samson89)
Hey I took the paper, found it ok. Can you explain your thinking for the last question? I just put this it would output the digits of the input in reverse order..
Nope - the first input was N=5, B=2, that output 101 which when you reverse it (yes,I know it's a palindrome) is 5 in binary (base 2).

Hence why putting any integer in as N and having B=10 would output the number in reverse.

You can test my theory, if you get the original paper and put N=18, B=2 it outputs 01001 which reversed is 10010 which is 18 in binary (base 2).

Also makes sense that N stands for Number and B stands for Base.
peteruk
The Graph for question two was quite simple, think of a window with 4 panes. It was neither eulerian or semi-eulerian as it had 4 odd nodes.

Djisktras I went via the airport, came out to 275 I think. Anyone else think that was a ridculous question? Giving marks away for being able to read.

Anyone else get a really small feasible region on question 5 I think it was?
I got 275 via the airport as well, and I also got a small feasible region. It's amazing how many people missed tha question out in my college from the amount of graph paper they took back in!
LethalBizzle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by peteruk)
Nope - the first input was N=5, B=2, that output 101 which when you reverse it (yes,I know it's a palindrome) is 5 in binary (base 2).

Hence why putting any integer in as N and having B=10 would output the number in reverse.

You can test my theory, if you get the original paper and put N=18, B=2 it outputs 01001 which reversed is 10010 which is 18 in binary (base 2).

Also makes sense that N stands for Number and B stands for Base.
Are you sure they will expect us to know about binary and bases etc? I don't think so. In decision you get the marks for stating the obvious, even in the hardest questions.

"Hence why putting any integer in as N and having B=10 would output the number in reverse."

The question was specifically to do with having B=10, where the numbers are output in reverse order. Surely stating this is where the marks are?

Part ii) confused me. I wrote that the algorithm would never stop as N does not reach 0, couldn't see where the 4 makrs were though
peteruk
Are you sure they will expect us to know about binary and bases etc? I don't think so. In decision you get the marks for stating the obvious, even in the hardest questions.

"Hence why putting any integer in as N and having B=10 would output the number in reverse."

The question was specifically to do with having B=10, where the numbers are output in reverse order. Surely stating this is where the marks are?

Part ii) confused me. I wrote that the algorithm would never stop as N does not reach 0, couldn't see where the 4 makrs were though
No you won't know that I was just asking if anyone had realised what the algorithm actually did. I expect saying that it will print the numbers backwards when B = 10 would get you all of the needed marks.

I also got that the algorithm would never stop because N never equals 0, it always stays as -1.
LethalBizzle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by peteruk)
No you won't know that I was just asking if anyone had realised what the algorithm actually did. I expect saying that it will print the numbers backwards when B = 10 would get you all of the needed marks.

I also got that the algorithm would never stop because N never equals 0, it always stays as -1.
Ah ok. Well nice one for realizing that - I knew it was something to do with binary but decided to check my answers thoroughly rather than investigate the algorithm! :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise