Help! Am I going blind?

Watch
legallyblind
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
As you can probably see from my username, i’m getting very worried about my eyesight. I’m not even 17 yet, and my vision’s -500 on both eyes ( and counting). I’m worried that i’ll be blind at like 30- what can i do to stop this? I’m trying to cut down on my electronic device usage, but with many years of inevitable staring at screens for school and work to come, i don’t know what i’ll do
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by legallyblind)
As you can probably see from my username, i’m getting very worried about my eyesight. I’m not even 17 yet, and my vision’s -500 on both eyes ( and counting). I’m worried that i’ll be blind at like 30- what can i do to stop this? I’m trying to cut down on my electronic device usage, but with many years of inevitable staring at screens for school and work to come, i don’t know what i’ll do
You can't be -500. You wouldn't be able to see if you supposedly were.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by legallyblind)
-500. I wonder just what that many diopters looks like.
Lord Nutter
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have a serious conversation with a doctor as I doubt anyone on TSR is qualified enough to give you proper answers
legallyblind
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
You can't be -500. You wouldn't be able to see if you supposedly were.
We measure it in hundreds where I live. I suppose most people would call my power-5.0?
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you Asian?
In many asian counties optometrists and doctors ignore the dot and count the power as 5.00 instrad of -5.00.

Your power is not even considered high.

It is complicated to answer your question. There are several methods of myopia control and vision improvement.
Some studies showed that using bi-focal lenses can help stopping the myopia progress, others shows the opposite.
There is a method of using special contacts at night that can help in some cases (it is called OrthoK).
Active Focus and Bates method helped me improving my eyesight a bit (by about 1 diopter), I also use progressive lenses. I am not sure how it is helpful for others though, but I heard a lot of stories.
legallyblind
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kathy89)
Are you Asian?
In many asian counties optometrists and doctors ignore the dot and count the power as 5.00 instrad of -5.00.

Your power is not even considered high.

It is complicated to answer your question. There are several methods of myopia control and vision improvement.
Some studies showed that using bi-focal lenses can help stopping the myopia progress, others shows the opposite.
There is a method of using special contacts at night that can help in some cases (it is called OrthoK).
Active Focus and Bates method helped me improving my eyesight a bit (by about 1 diopter), I also use progressive lenses. I am not sure how it is helpful for others though, but I heard a lot of stories.
do you know what power is considered high?
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
above 6
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads