The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Worries

Hi, firstly a bit of background: I have an Animal Science degree (2:1) and have applied to vet school (Oct 2017) but was unsuccessful because I don't have chemistry A-level. I am currently thinking of doing a chemistry A-level distance learning course, and applying again in October 2018 with a predicted grade (and doing those chem exams may/june 2019).

I have doubts about vet school, because I'm not a high-flying 'type A' student which is usually associated with the profession, I put a lot of pressure on myself and I struggle with self doubt and (undiagnosed) anxiety/depression which hits me periodically. My university tutor advised me not to pursue vet school because I am not as strong in exams as I am in written assignments (which I agree with but I do think I vastly improved in 3rd year because I would not have achieved a 2:1 without it).

I tend to over think vet school and being a vet: I imagine scenarios where I get things completely wrong, or struggle to cope with the stress and end up having a massive breakdown, or worse.
I want to be a vet more than anything. I have done plenty of work experience to see what the profession is like and saw the highs and the lows, and came away from every stint feeling more and more motivated. I want to work with animals and to potentially go into research in the future. I am particularly interested in one health, zoonoses, infectious diseases, gastrointestinal disorders, welfare and conservation. I want to help with spaying programmes in third world countries where stray dog populations are out of control and rabies programmes to help protect both people and animals. I did my dissertation on canine oral health and was so obsessively passionate about it. I feel that a vet degree would be the best route to take in order to follow and achieve these interests, and I want the job title of veterinarian. I just have so many doubts, and if I am so doubtful then does it mean I am not up to scratch? I am not cut out for the rigour? I have thought about vet nursing, I have huge respect for the job, but I just don't think it would be for me. I am open to further study (MSc, PhD) but am so unsure about the career I can have, I think I just know that a vet degree can lead to a solid vocation/job title - maybe I'm being narrow minded.

I think my main issue is that I have cold feet. I'm scared to commit to chemistry a-level only to end up not getting a place when I could have been applying for other jobs and starting my career. I s'pose that's the risk I would have to take, I'd still have an extra a-level even if I didn't get a place. I just keep convincing myself to go ahead with it and then start to freak out and talk myself out of it again - how is this such a difficult decision!!

Anyway, to get to the point, if you have ever experience a similar dilemma, I'd really like to hear how you coped, if you pursued vet school, and/or any advise you have for me please. I get that you need to be passionate and enthusiastic and everything to be a vet and get a place on the course. Don't get me wrong, I am. I love science, I am extremely interested in the health and welfare of animals (and people), and the farming and food industry. Its just all the other emo stuff that comes with it that scares me, especially when I know I am prone to letting stress get the better of me. Is anyone else effected by stress at vet school? Has anyone had to overcome social anxiety?

TY :smile:
Reply 1
While i havent been in your position, i think you should look how much you wanna be a vet and if u could imagine yourself doing anything else. Ultimately, youll never know until you try, but i think you should go for it. You only regret the things that you dont do. You seem really passionate about it and i think itll come across in interview. Will the unis accept anaccess course instead of chemistry if your worried about it?
Original post by hannah.1995
Hi, firstly a bit of background: I have an Animal Science degree (2:1) and have applied to vet school (Oct 2017) but was unsuccessful because I don't have chemistry A-level. I am currently thinking of doing a chemistry A-level distance learning course, and applying again in October 2018 with a predicted grade (and doing those chem exams may/june 2019).
Going to try and address some of your points here.

I have doubts about vet school, because I'm not a high-flying 'type A' student which is usually associated with the profession, I put a lot of pressure on myself and I struggle with self doubt and (undiagnosed) anxiety/depression which hits me periodically. My university tutor advised me not to pursue vet school because I am not as strong in exams as I am in written assignments (which I agree with but I do think I vastly improved in 3rd year because I would not have achieved a 2:1 without it).

Mental health problems are well documented in the veterinary industry. Whether they're caused/exacerbated by the course/career or whether the career attracts people who are prone/already at risk is another discussion but I will say that you certainly would not be the first to go to vet school despite these health concerns, nor the last.

Obviously getting in is less of a concern compared to completing the course and surviving the career. I will say that mental health is taken extremely seriously by the profession. I can't speak for other vet schools but RVC have an advice centre you can make an appointment with (about anything), trained councilors you can speak to, and qualified psychiatrist you can make an appointment with. 'Out of hours' assistance like Nightline and the VetLife helpline are well advertised. There is a dedicated team of student welfare officers that are there for you to talk to and that also arrange things like trips out and puppy parties (and yes, I know that doggos are of limited help when you have a serious medical condition but hey, every little helps :wink: ) With all the support that's available, the hardest part can actually be admitting that you have a problem and reaching out, but given that you're so open about it that's a good sign.

With regard to academics, the course isn't entirely exam-based (although I will admit that is is heavy weighted this way). At RVC there are research projects to complete in second and fourth/fifth year, and we are also assessed on presentations and practical skills. For exams, in first and second year we have essay papers, (in addition to others), if that floats your boat more than other exam styles. We also have an exams officer that you can make an appointment with to discuss things like exam technique, revision methods, stress etc etc. I've never been but I've heard it's worthwhile. Actually a fair few students get diagnosed with a learning difference after coming here, which I think is credit to the fact that every effort is made to support people and find out what works best for them (and why some things don't work).

I tend to over think vet school and being a vet: I imagine scenarios where I get things completely wrong, or struggle to cope with the stress and end up having a massive breakdown, or worse.

Everyone worries about this. And everybody gets things wrong. I ****ed up when I was just doing work experience. I ****ed up while in preclinical years and on husbandry placements. I **** up practicals now. When I go on clinical EMS over Easter, guess what.... I'm gonna **** up! The point of vet school is to learn in a safe environment. You weren't born with all the knowledge otherwise you wouldn't have to go to vet school, and although you will make mistakes, you won't qualify until people think you're safe to practice. After that, you'll have support and guidance from colleagues and the RCVS to help you. I do understand your concerns about stress but that's another thing we're taught to deal with, for example we're given classes with actors to learn how to deal with situations when clients are being volatile.

Some clinicians that I hold in very high regard tell tales of atrocious mistakes they've made, it never made them less of a vet.

I want to be a vet more than anything. I have done plenty of work experience to see what the profession is like and saw the highs and the lows, and came away from every stint feeling more and more motivated. I want to work with animals and to potentially go into research in the future. I am particularly interested in one health, zoonoses, infectious diseases, gastrointestinal disorders, welfare and conservation. I want to help with spaying programmes in third world countries where stray dog populations are out of control and rabies programmes to help protect both people and animals. I did my dissertation on canine oral health and was so obsessively passionate about it. I feel that a vet degree would be the best route to take in order to follow and achieve these interests, and I want the job title of veterinarian. I just have so many doubts, and if I am so doubtful then does it mean I am not up to scratch?

I am not cut out for the rigour? I have thought about vet nursing, I have huge respect for the job, but I just don't think it would be for me. I am open to further study (MSc, PhD) but am so unsure about the career I can have, I think I just know that a vet degree can lead to a solid vocation/job title - maybe I'm being narrow minded.

I think my main issue is that I have cold feet. I'm scared to commit to chemistry a-level only to end up not getting a place when I could have been applying for other jobs and starting my career. I s'pose that's the risk I would have to take, I'd still have an extra a-level even if I didn't get a place. I just keep convincing myself to go ahead with it and then start to freak out and talk myself out of it again - how is this such a difficult decision!!

With respect, chemistry A level is absolutely not a full time commitment. I don't doubt that you'd be able to do that alongside a job (which may or may not become your career depending on whether you get a place at vet school). If you get in and it ends up being useful - great! If you don't get in to vet school the first time you apply and you don't want to try again then unfortunately you just gain some extra chemistry knowledge... oh the horror :wink:

Anyway, to get to the point, if you have ever experience a similar dilemma, I'd really like to hear how you coped, if you pursued vet school, and/or any advise you have for me please. I get that you need to be passionate and enthusiastic and everything to be a vet and get a place on the course. Don't get me wrong, I am. I love science, I am extremely interested in the health and welfare of animals (and people), and the farming and food industry. Its just all the other emo stuff that comes with it that scares me, especially when I know I am prone to letting stress get the better of me. Is anyone else effected by stress at vet school? Has anyone had to overcome social anxiety?

My situation is not the same as yours; I went straight to vet school from college, but your case does ring a bell with me. For years I thought I wasn't going to be good enough (still hung around the vet forum like a lost duckling though :rolleyes: ). I didn't think I stood a chance against kids with 52A*s at GCSE and the A levels to match, who personally founded an animal shelter in *insert third world country here*, had a job grooming horses for the queen, played oboe in the national orchestra and were olympic ice skaters etc etc :wink: . When my college took us to a UCAS convention, I vehemently refused to go to the RVC's stand because I felt like I'd just be teasing myself. I didn't know what else to do, though, I did more work experience with animals and nothing else quite seemed enough. I eventually applied I had every understanding that, despite my best efforts, I'd probably be applying for Clearing later in the year, but ding dong I was wrong.

My point is, you do not have to be a polished, straight A, private school kid to get into vet school. To survive at vet school is demanding absolutely (and I respect your mental health concerns, but only you can decide for yourself whether these will impose an insurmountable barrier), but not impossible. I would have been very unhappy to go though life with 'what if' forever looming in the back of my mind. My suggestion would be to at least try :smile: For the record I think vet school admissions value graduate candidates who generally have a bit more life experience and may be more mature.

As a last side note, I'm sure you've done your research but have you looked into Gateway courses? They may not require A level chemistry although I'm not sure if your previous degree disqualifies you for these.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
whether the career attracts people who are prone/already at risk is another discussion

just wondering, why do people think this?
Reply 4
Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to reply with such great insight. It really annoys me that my mental health gets in the way of my goals, but I am so
glad that it's an increasingly openly discussed topic within the industry (and in general). I think what worries me is that because I am already affected, the added stress of vet school will break me, but it really helps to know that there is a lot of support available - something I didn't, but should have, made use of as an undergrad. However, perhaps having already been affected will work to my advantage because I know how to deal with negative feelings and what situations make me feel that way... every cloud ey?!! I think it'll be important to go into it knowing exactly why I want to be there and what the ultimate goal is, and keep that in mind during difficult times, whilst also seeing the bigger picture, and realising that it is not the end of the world if I fail a test or whatever.

I have been struggling with anxiety for years (4 years, started completely out of the blue the summer before going to uni),it is constantly changing and affecting me in different ways, and yet I have only been to one therapy session. I agree that I am open about it on the internet, but I find it so so hard to talk about it IRL, just like I'm sure many people are. I feel like I'm just a moaning middle-class 'millennial' who has never experience true hardship! I have no idea why I'm like this, but I am, I actually can't help it, and I feel like it's about time I swallowed my pride and spoke to someone!

Thanks so much for being so open about your experience, it's quite hard being and independent candidate because I don't have peers round me to discuss stuff with and stress about things with! I have been in contact with the vet schools to find out exactly what they want, some want chem because the animal science degree I did (Aberystwyth) didn't teach enough chem for their liking, but RVC aren't bothered apparently (the only school who rejected me based on work experience!). I agree though that even if I do do chem a-level but don't ultimately go to vet school I'll still have an extra qualification under my belt, and hopefully over the course of doing it I'll have a better idea of where I'm heading.

My alternative plan is to do an MSc (E.g. vet microbiology at Surrey, one health at RVC, or Global wildlife health at Bristol) and potentially pursue research in subjects mentioned earlier that I'm really interested in. I do think it's important to keep an open mind in these circumstances, and although I know a vet degree requires a lot of commitment, if you're prone to self-inflicted pressure, it's good to remember that if all else fails there are other ways to contribute towards a cause that you're really passionate about. I think it's easy to say 'well if you're so unsure, do you really want to be a vet?'. Yeah, I do, but sometimes it's not that simple! Not for my brain anyway :colonhash:

Thanks for listening to me moan, and I hope this helps anyone else is struggling!

Quick Reply

Latest