The Student Room Group

Pharmacy panic! Should I withdraw my application and apply to a new course next year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kvds13
Good afternoon Izzy,
May I start by congratulating you on your grades. it looks like you'll be able to do whatever you like this year or next.
Firstly, I've learned to ignore others that disregard fields of work/study. I studied medicine, and thoroughly hated it for a while. I'm now in practice, and adore my career, and indeed the journey here. I was told to become a nurse, pharmacist, physiotherapist, list is endless. Everyone has different opinions, none matter.

- Do bear in mind that if you really don't like it, you can complete a conversion masters/top-up degree in something else. In Scotland, these are 1-3 years, and can be completed in lots of things, including Nursing, Psychology, and various other fields. England are similar, apologies, I don't have the details. Google will help.
- Also do bear in mind if you get to year 2 or 3 and hate it, various English universities will take you into their courses. Pharma is a solid base for Allied Health Professional Degrees (radiotherapy, physiotherapy, podiatry etc, you know what I mean) and is an accepted entry to year 1 medicine in various universities alongside your school qualifications, or as a graduate entry degree to medicine or AHP/NMC.

Moral of the story - whatever you really want to do, do it. If you really want to make it work, you will.
Degree in 19th Century French Period Furniture Restoration? David Beckham studies? Perhaps not. But pharma is a solid degree that can lead onto many masters/PhD programmes, or as entry to BSc/BA/MBChB degrees, and various different careers and pathways. If it's what you want, do it. :smile:

"Those who say it cannot be done,
Should not interrupt those doing it."
- Chinese Proverb

Thank you so much for your reply!! I really want to do pharmacy and I'm quite confident that I will enjoy doing the degree. You've given me the reassurance I needed.
Original post by Izzy32245
Oh cool, and they recommend it?

It's definitely a high-pressured job, but my parent who is a doctor always says to do medicine rather than mind-numbingly boring pharmacy.
Reply 22
The thing is personally I absolutely loved the pharmacy work experience day. I didn't find it boring at all.
Original post by unicorn.hoda
Hi,
Pharmacists don't just sit behind a counter and dispense medication. You can go into industry (where the real money is), you can do community, hospital, chain etc. You can also work in research in unis or private labs or go into teaching and Independent Prescribing (which is really cool).There are so many opportunities.

Qualified Pharmacist here for nearly 3 years.
Sitting behind a counter and dispensing medication is community pharmacy, and so is 'chain'.

Industry is a very difficult area to get into in pharmacy and in my cohort of roughly 200 students I heard of only one that managed to get a job in industry; and no it is not 'where the money is'

Hospital pharmacy is paid much less than community and it takes years to go up the bands - and involves more work and studying even after you finish university.

Research in unis - this wouldn't be very well paid and would require you to get a PhD after you finish your MPharm - some of my lecturers were pharmacists with PhD's in Pharmacology

Independent prescribing - you have to work for 2 years after qualifying and then you need to do a diploma and find a GP to take you on for free so he can train you up. In the end you just end up signing off repeats that GP's have already prescribed in the past for patients.

The vast majority of pharmacists end up in community, I advise you watch the BBC documentary that aired on 8th Jan regarding pharmacy.

The government are doing cuts to community pharmacy and I have seen a drop in pay for locums. I don't know what 'schemes' are being introduced to let pharmacists make more money? Please do tell me because I could really do with some extra money right about now!
Original post by MSmith90
Qualified Pharmacist here for nearly 3 years.
Sitting behind a counter and dispensing medication is community pharmacy, and so is 'chain'.

Industry is a very difficult area to get into in pharmacy and in my cohort of roughly 200 students I heard of only one that managed to get a job in industry; and no it is not 'where the money is'

Hospital pharmacy is paid much less than community and it takes years to go up the bands - and involves more work and studying even after you finish university.

Research in unis - this wouldn't be very well paid and would require you to get a PhD after you finish your MPharm - some of my lecturers were pharmacists with PhD's in Pharmacology

Independent prescribing - you have to work for 2 years after qualifying and then you need to do a diploma and find a GP to take you on for free so he can train you up. In the end you just end up signing off repeats that GP's have already prescribed in the past for patients.

The vast majority of pharmacists end up in community, I advise you watch the BBC documentary that aired on 8th Jan regarding pharmacy.

The government are doing cuts to community pharmacy and I have seen a drop in pay for locums. I don't know what 'schemes' are being introduced to let pharmacists make more money? Please do tell me because I could really do with some extra money right about now!

Thank you for posting this! I'm a first year student on the MPharm, and I'm thinking about transferring to Optometry. If you were in my shoes, and knowing what you know now, would you stay on the MPharm or look at other career and degree options instead?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by LeapingLucy
My cousin got glandular fever doing geography - there's no correlation between particular courses and illness rates!

You need to think about your life after your degree - a career in pharmacy would be so boring compared to medicine, where every day is different, you have to use your critical thinking skills to solve problems and interact with people.

A pharmacist also uses thinking skills to solve problems and interact with people
Original post by Icypricy
A pharmacist also uses thinking skills to solve problems and interact with people

that would be limited to why a patient's repeat prescription hasnt come through or interacted with supplies people to get good discounts on nappies and toothpaste
Original post by sachinisgod
that would be limited to why a patient's repeat prescription hasnt come through or interacted with supplies people to get good discounts on nappies and toothpaste

No when I did my work experience lots of people kept coming in every single day to see the pharmacist and speak to her about their problems like they would do at a gp and the pharmacist would give them medicine or refer them to the gp if it was very serious and that was basically her job

The pharmacist assistants did most of the dispensing and prescriptions and the shopkeeper at the front would be the one in charge of the nappies and toothpaste and baby food etc.

The pharmacist (the one that had the degree) just dealt with peoples problems and check the pharmacist assistants had got the right medicines for the prescription etc and check the gp hadn’t prescribed the patient the wrong doses (for one of the patients the prescription for doctor said that the guy needs 500g warfarin or something like this and pharmacist realised this was too much and had to call the doctor up and fix it because that much is dangerous. Turns of the doctor had a typo and prescribed the wrong amount).

Obviously doing medicine is different to doing pharmacy but you still get to interact with people and solve problems
Reply 28
Do optometry instead of pharmacy. The current pharmacy locum rates are mediocre at best 19/20£ is the going rate. Optoms are minimum 30/35£ an hour. Don’t do pharmacy for the money, you will be able to make an alright living but your gonna be stuck at the same pay unless you up-skill like doing IP course but even that’s gonna get saturated as everyone will jump on the bangwagon.
Don't do it Izzy. Please don't. Yes, it's an interesting degree. But do you want to spent 9 hrs a day in 5yrs time working for a chain for about £16/17 an hr.??
It's bad now and will only get worse.
Watch on iplayer the BBC Inside Out prog on BBC1 on 8th Jan about Boots and pharmacist stress. It wouldn't be so bad if you got a lunch break and thirty quid an hr but you don't and you won't. There are about thirty schools of pharmacy and when you come to look for a pre-reg you will be fighting for one, all to qualify and be a slave for a foreign owned chain that pays peanuts and expects blood 5 days a week for 9 hrs a day. One day's work experience can't possibly show you what to expect. Unless you get yourself to a Boots or Lloyds or Tesco because those are the big ones that you will probably end up at at some point. And it's soul destroying with all the knowledge you will have to just stick labels on boxes all day. and be expected to do a load of useless so-called 'clinical services' like medicines reviews that only earn the company £28 for each one and GPs aren't interested in and just bin.
Do some more research and get some work experience with at least 2 big chains before you decide.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by aaron.taylor
Thank you for posting this! I'm a first year student on the MPharm, and I'm thinking about transferring to Optometry. If you were in my shoes, and knowing what you know now, would you stay on the MPharm or look at other career and degree options instead?

Get out now while you still can. Pharmacy is a sinking ship and all those on here saying how good it is are likely students at Uni already who have been brain-washed by the tutors, like we all were, about the fantastic clinical future that never seems to appear ! If you go back thru all the journals over the last 20/25 yrs, it is all the same. The future for community pharmacy and services and being recognised by GPs and serving as the NHS gatekeeper, are always just around the corner, yet when you get there, they have moved ! And what people have said in the last few posts about IP courses and hospital still apply. Yes, a lucky few may benefit and get a good job, but most of you will end up stressed to the max in a chain chemist with one dispenser if you are lucky churning out hundreds of scripts a day and pointless services just to make your employer money, and you will be lucky to start on 25 to 30k if that. The golden days of pharmacy ended in the late 90s and early 00s.
Just do something else.. Anything !
The Unis are businesses now. They will tell you anything to get you in there and get bums on seats for 9k a year. Once you have been thru the 4 yr washing machine, they don't give a stuff.
Original post by Icypricy

So do pharmacy staff members. It's generally called what the big chains call 'customer service'.

If you work in a big chain and there is single staffing or pharmacist working completely on their own (it happens), it means a pharmacist will also get asked things like I want you to tell me whether this product has microbeads in, or the difference between this and that nappy or why you don't sell some product a pharmacist has never heard of. Pharmacists will also have people rapping their knuckles on the counter, making grunting noises, queueing up wanting to buy deodorant at the pharmacy because they are too lazy to go through the main tills at Boots where there are queues. All this whilst a pharmacist may be working on their own self checking and belting out prescriptions and interupted

Pharmacists are supposed to do what you say, they don't have time though. They are incredibly underutilisized in community.
Original post by aaron.taylor

You need to ask good questions of other people and think about why the 'negative' people of other people said on these sort of threads think they way they do. There's an argument of not going into pharmacy along the following lines

- most jobs are in community pharmacy (true) and whilst there are interesting jobs (hospital) and (IP), these are very competitive, need extra study and are in short supply.

- within community these jobs are dominated by big chains including the big three but others like asda and tesco.

- these are all retail companies (what does that tell you?). For anyone that thinks otherwise a gut reaction on sky news about boots the other day was they were referred to as 'the high street healthy and beauty giant', no mentions of them doing that pharmacy malarky.

- because very few people want to be actual employees of some of these companies there is an elaborate locuming system in community pharmacy

- this locuming system means that it is large companies vs thousands and thousands of self employed people

poor unionisation in the sector and the locuming means wages are falling as they can be squeezed

to make it worse, 90% of pharmacies' business is NHS. This is a very finite pot of money divided into 12,000 pharmacies (too many), which has to pay something like 80,000 support staff and somewhere in the ball park of 40,000 pharmacists

this means to make a profit companies have to squeeze the wage of pharmacists (they do) and off staff (they do minimum wage).

Because staff are already paid minimum wage, the only thing that can give is really locum wages which is very insecure work.

You also have to chase around getting services.

Because everything else in the NHS is so squeezed and people can come into some pharmacies any time they want day or night they do.

A pharmacy then has to deal with a myriad of NHS problems and moans and groans.

To supplement income a pharmacy has to sell as many other things as possible. Because you are a pharmacy this means you will be hit with the double whammy of having to give out detailed information, which takes time, the one thing you don't have to boost profits and distracting from your main business (dispensing).

If it were another business other than pharmacy I believe people would see these things more clearly, because it is a 'profession' and 'healthcare' people somehow see it differently.

If the government passed a law and created a 'barista' profession, that each coffee shop had to study 4 years at university and an additional one year. Every coffee shop in the land has to have one or it can't open. What would happen? The barista might get paid a lot of money, but do you think it'd be an easy job checking every single coffee? Ah yes someone says well it's not a great model, because it's basically a retail or service sector job that you have to pay someone £40k a year to on small margins, when the vast majority of your business is drinks, are you crazy?

So why does anyone think it's a good model in community pharmacy?The counter argument for pharmacy goes along the following lines.

- Pharmacy is just an undergraduate science degree with a title tagged on- it doesn't matter which uni you went to or even if you get a 3rd from University of Hertfordshire, unlike most graduate jobs.

- compared to a standard science graduate the wages are enormous.- compared to a standard science graduate the job prestige is huge.

- it may be bad in community, but if you wanted to get out no one is going to care about that 3rd from University of Hertfordshire and you'll do better than the physics/chemistry/computer science grad which had harder degrees from more distinguished universities and then ended up working in a shop/bar/coffee shop.

- pharmacy rocks, you just have to do it for a bit and plan your escape route into IP/hospital/something else.
Reply 33
Original post by crazy.chemist
Don't do it Izzy. Please don't. Yes, it's an interesting degree. But do you want to spent 9 hrs a day in 5yrs time working for a chain for about £16/17 an hr.??
It's bad now and will only get worse.
Watch on iplayer the BBC Inside Out prog on BBC1 on 8th Jan about Boots and pharmacist stress. It wouldn't be so bad if you got a lunch break and thirty quid an hr but you don't and you won't. There are about thirty schools of pharmacy and when you come to look for a pre-reg you will be fighting for one, all to qualify and be a slave for a foreign owned chain that pays peanuts and expects blood 5 days a week for 9 hrs a day. One day's work experience can't possibly show you what to expect. Unless you get yourself to a Boots or Lloyds or Tesco because those are the big ones that you will probably end up at at some point. And it's soul destroying with all the knowledge you will have to just stick labels on boxes all day. and be expected to do a load of useless so-called 'clinical services' like medicines reviews that only earn the company £28 for each one and GPs are interested in and just bin.
Do some more research and get some work experience with at least 2 big chains before you decide.

Hi, thank you for the reply, the way you describe the jobs I would be doing as a pharmacist does not sound ideal, but I genuinely think pharmacy is the degree I would enjoy the most. I checked, and once I've completed a pharmacy degree, I can do a post graduate and become a physican associate instead (if I cant get into a hospital pharmacist role like I would like to) do you think this is a suitable back up option? Also, I watched the bbc are pharmacists under too mich pressure thingy when it came out. I agree there does seem to be a so far unresolbed problem. Im just gutted because the course contents look so interesting :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Izzy32245
Hi, thank you for the reply, the way you describe the jobs I would be doing as a pharmacist does not sound ideal, but I genuinely think pharmacy is the degree I would enjoy the most. I checked, and once I've completed a pharmacy degree, I can do a post graduate and become a physican associate instead (if I cant get into a hospital pharmacist role like I would like to) do you think this is a suitable back up option? Also, I watched the bbc are pharmacists under too mich pressure thingy when it came out. I agree there does seem to be a so far unresolbed problem. Im just gutted because the course contents look so interesting :frown:

Doing pharmacy and then the masters to be a PAssoc. is certainly an option i suppose. But then why not do Biomed Science and the PAssoc course? If you did Biomed, you could then use that as a base for Medicine. There are many options. And only you know which is right for you. But it is good you are asking all the questions now. Go in with both eyes open and not like a lot of people do in August thru Clearing. Good luck.
Just be careful about planning to do a postgraduate medicine degree after BSc biomed - under the current rules, you would not be eligible for a student loan to fund this second degree (presuming you took a loan to fund the first). So unless your family are financially able to pay up front, you won't be able to do the graduate medicine degree.

Of course, if Jeremy Corbyn gets elected in 2022, then you might not have to worry about it, but there's no knowing what will happen in the future.

Original post by crazy.chemist
Doing pharmacy and then the masters to be a PAssoc. is certainly an option i suppose. But then why not do Biomed Science and the PAssoc course? If you did Biomed, you could then use that as a base for Medicine. There are many options. And only you know which is right for you. But it is good you are asking all the questions now. Go in with both eyes open and not like a lot of people do in August thru Clearing. Good luck.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Just be careful about planning to do a postgraduate medicine degree after BSc biomed - under the current rules, you would not be eligible for a student loan to fund this second degree (presuming you took a loan to fund the first). So unless your family are financially able to pay up front, you won't be able to do the graduate medicine degree.

Of course, if Jeremy Corbyn gets elected in 2022, then you might not have to worry about it, but there's no knowing what will happen in the future.

You mean graduate entry medicine? If so then currently you would have to pay the first £3,465 of the first year of the tuition fees yourself then sfe loan for the rest, then years 2-4 is a mixture of sfe loan + nhs for fees

Then living also receives a mixture of loan and nhs bursary too

sources (look at GEM section of first link obvs)

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/oxford-support/funding-for-medical-students

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studentservices/support/financialsupport/studentfunding/fundingforgemstudents.aspx
Well you clearly love everything about it. Keep the article. Frame it even. Something to look back on and laugh at when you’re graduated, smashing life, doing something you love! 😂 💕
Hi, I'm currently a pre-registration pharmacist training in a GP/mental health split. I have been told in the past that I am very anti-pharmacy, for good reason mind you. Currently there is no cap on the number of pharmacy students (and therefore graduates) in the UK, meaning that we are seeing roughly 4000 new graduates each year with only 12000 community pharmacies in the UK, something that the NHS has promised to reduce by 25% in the next few years anyway so job prospects are becoming slim. As such, universities have started to use courses such as pharmacy and optometry as 'cash cows', IE courses where they can take on as many students as possible and take from each of them £9000 a year. For proof of this, look at the sort of universities offering pharmacy as a course, for instance Hertfordshire where I trained. The average pharmacist wage is listed as £35k a year at the moment, but I would argue that the level of stress involved is not worth the money. You have interesting jobs with high stress (medicine), not interesting jobs with low stress (stacking shelves at tesco), and not interesting jobs with high stress such as pharmacy, if you make a mistake a patient may potentially die but it is in essence stacking shelves and labeling boxes. So now, the actual job. You will be sold pharmacy by the university from year one, for instance reading these other students comments about clinical pharmacy and how there are opportunities within industry, there aren't. Industry will be looking for medics and pharmaceutical chemists rather than pharmacists on the whole. 'Clinical pharmacy' is essentially checking the medicines someone is taking whilst in hospital, you won't be expected to use your brain you will be using a book to check someone else's work, if this is for you then by all means continue in your application. Opportunities within GP practice are growing however you would have to be a prescriber to run clinics and this would only deal with ongoing chronic conditions rather than treating and diagnosing new ones, and you must be at least 2 years qualified before taking a prescribing course. A recent survery done by chemistr and druggist (a respected pharmacy news provider) said that of thousands of pharmacists interviewed, 83% would not recommend pharmacy as a career.My advice is to do any other degree (maybe apart from optometry). You will be told you are the expert in medicines in hospital etc, what your job will really entail is checking stock levels of wards and looking at computer screens. If you have a passion for communication and speaking to patients, pharmacy is not the choice for you as electronic prescribing is taking us further and further away from patients and more time behind computer screens. Please feel free to contact me regarding the realities of pharmacy, I have recently applied for medicine and should be hearing back in the next few months. Do not be duped by the course content, the job is far different to what they teach you.
Original post by joehearty
Hi, I'm currently a pre-registration pharmacist training in a GP/mental health split. I have been told in the past that I am very anti-pharmacy, for good reason mind you. Currently there is no cap on the number of pharmacy students (and therefore graduates) in the UK, meaning that we are seeing roughly 4000 new graduates each year with only 12000 community pharmacies in the UK, something that the NHS has promised to reduce by 25% in the next few years anyway so job prospects are becoming slim. As such, universities have started to use courses such as pharmacy and optometry as 'cash cows', IE courses where they can take on as many students as possible and take from each of them £9000 a year. For proof of this, look at the sort of universities offering pharmacy as a course, for instance Hertfordshire where I trained. The average pharmacist wage is listed as £35k a year at the moment, but I would argue that the level of stress involved is not worth the money. You have interesting jobs with high stress (medicine), not interesting jobs with low stress (stacking shelves at tesco), and not interesting jobs with high stress such as pharmacy, if you make a mistake a patient may potentially die but it is in essence stacking shelves and labeling boxes. So now, the actual job. You will be sold pharmacy by the university from year one, for instance reading these other students comments about clinical pharmacy and how there are opportunities within industry, there aren't. Industry will be looking for medics and pharmaceutical chemists rather than pharmacists on the whole. 'Clinical pharmacy' is essentially checking the medicines someone is taking whilst in hospital, you won't be expected to use your brain you will be using a book to check someone else's work, if this is for you then by all means continue in your application. Opportunities within GP practice are growing however you would have to be a prescriber to run clinics and this would only deal with ongoing chronic conditions rather than treating and diagnosing new ones, and you must be at least 2 years qualified before taking a prescribing course. A recent survery done by chemistr and druggist (a respected pharmacy news provider) said that of thousands of pharmacists interviewed, 83% would not recommend pharmacy as a career.My advice is to do any other degree (maybe apart from optometry). You will be told you are the expert in medicines in hospital etc, what your job will really entail is checking stock levels of wards and looking at computer screens. If you have a passion for communication and speaking to patients, pharmacy is not the choice for you as electronic prescribing is taking us further and further away from patients and more time behind computer screens. Please feel free to contact me regarding the realities of pharmacy, I have recently applied for medicine and should be hearing back in the next few months. Do not be duped by the course content, the job is far different to what they teach you.

Thank you for your honesty. I hope you get into Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending