The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Is Leeds LGBT+ friendly?

I live in Brighton. Some of my friends from the north of England say that the Yorkshire area is really bad for homophobia and it's not safe for gay or trans people. I'm a lesbian & want to study at Leeds (made my application in October). Is it going to be safe for me ?
They don't lynch them, as far as I know. You have to go to Bradford for that.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Hi, im also a lesbian, and also applied to leeds uni this october. I went to visit the university this summer, and the weekend after was pride weekend there, i was surprised with the acceptance there, like every restaurant and shop had a pride flag, THE FLAG AT THE TOP OF THE UNI ENTRANCE WAS A PRIDE FLAG!!!!
Original post by oniins
I live in Brighton. Some of my friends from the north of England say that the Yorkshire area is really bad for homophobia and it's not safe for gay or trans people. I'm a lesbian & want to study at Leeds (made my application in October). Is it going to be safe for me ?

You will be fine. The university has a very active LGBT* society that you can get involved with if you wish and Leeds Pride in August is always a huge event!
Original post by oniins

Leeds is an insanely inclusive university. The editor of the Gryphon (student newspaper) this year is gay and a number of other high ranking lecturers and staff are openly gay. The union has an equality and diversity officer to try and promote inclusivity and goodness throughout the university, and the city holds Pride every year. They also have a rainbow painted on the rail bridge over Lower Briggate, where most of the gay clubs and bars are (Cloud 9 (a club night), Viaduct (Drag showroom), Queens bar, and Fibre - I may have missed a couple). The city, on the whole, is fairly inclusive, though you get d***heads everywhere.

My gay friends (a couple) don't hold hands in public as a drunk man yelled slurs at them when they did once. I certainly understand their trepidation, but most people aren't like that at all.

Also the LGBTQ+ society is really good for inclusivity and making firneds, though they can sometimes be a little cliquey (or so my gay friend tells me). I hope this eases your worries a little.
It's kind of close minded to presume that all of Yorkshire is homophobic! Leeds, both the Uni and the city, have a long history for being diverse and inclusive of lgbt.
Where are your Northerner friends from exactly?
Original post by oniins

I live in York and viewed Leeds and pride is a huge event here every year and tbh I’ve never noticed any Homophobia in the middle of either cities... there are rougher areas of Yorkshire but these are still not really near any cities.
Hope you get in!

Quick Reply

Latest