username1003420
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What do these standard deviation error bars show in the image I attached, I don't really understand themName:  error bar.png
Views: 301
Size:  6.2 KB
username1003420
Rep:
?
any clue?
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tammie123)
any clue?
Standard deviation is variation about a mean. The bigger the error bars, the larger the variation is around the mean.

Generally, in the context of biology questions like this, it's asking you to say something about the significance of the results. If the error bars overlap, do you think this implies the results are significant or not? As in, do you think the sets of data are significantly different from each other?
username1003420
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amefish)
Standard deviation is variation about a mean. The bigger the error bars, the larger the variation is around the mean.

Generally, in the context of biology questions like this, it's asking you to say something about the significance of the results. If the error bars overlap, do you think this implies the results are significant or not? As in, do you think the sets of data are significantly different from each other?
so say the x axis was 'different diagnoses' and each bar represented a specific disease and the y axis was mean serotonin levels then the larger the error bars then the greater the standard deviation about the mean of the bar the error bars attached to i.e. for that specific disease. Is this correct?
Amefish
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
so say the x axis was 'different diagnoses' and each bar represented a specific disease and the y axis was mean serotonin levels then the larger the error bars then the greater the standard deviation about the mean of the bar the error bars attached to i.e. for that specific disease. Is this correct?
Yep, that's right
username1003420
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amefish)
Yep, that's right
How can you tell if standard deviation error bars are big or not?
Nuba123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How can you tell if standard deviation error bars are big or not?
Statistically speaking, all 3 bars don't mean anything in terms of significance/big/small - you gotta do statistical analysis and find the p value (try minitab).

Although, it depends on what level your comment needs to be. At A level you could get away with 'not significant since error bars overlap' but at uni you have to justify via statistical analysis ie p value is > 0.05 therefore not significant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.39%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.13%
I'm really nervous (50)
19.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed