The Student Room Group

dx meaning in integration????

Hi. I am confused why an integrated equation is called dx. I looked up what dx means and I was told it is, “an infinitely small width of x" (I attached the definition). But if you integrate the gradient of a line to get the equation of the line, you have not been given the difference in x, but just the equation of the line. I heard in lesson that dx means with respect to x, but isn’t the equation of a line in regard to y? For example the line equation of y=x^2 is regard to y isn’t it? And then when you integrate a line to get the area underneath a certain bit of it, this is still called dx which confuses me more.

The rule for integration is provided .
The dx baffles me.

dgdgd.PNG
Original post by Al4stair
Hi. I am confused why an integrated equation is called dx.

Short answer 1: Don't worry about it at this level.

Short answer 2: The dx means that xx is the variable with respect to which you are integrating. So, for example
[br]2xydx=yx2+C[br][br]\int 2xy \: dx = yx^2+C[br]
whereas
[br]2xydy=xy2+C[br][br]\int 2xy \: dy = xy^2 +C[br]

Long answer, may be a little too sophisticated for a beginning A-level student - but do ask me if you want it explained a bit more!

Define the (definite) integral abf(x)dx \int_a^b f(x) dx as the area under the curve y=f(x)y=f(x). Then it is possible to show that
[br](d/dx)axf(y)dy=f(x)[br][br](d/dx) \int_a^x f(y) dy = f(x)[br]
so that integration with respect to x is the 'reverse' of differentiation with respect to x. This is called the fundamental theorem of calculus.
(edited 6 years ago)
[QUOTE="theOldBean;75525756"]Short answer 1: Don't worry about it at this level.

Short answer 2: The dx means that $x$ is the variable with respect to which you are integrating. So, for example
[br]2xydx=yx2+C[br][br]\int 2xy \: dx = yx^2+C[br]
whereas
[br]2xydy=xy2+C[br][br]\int 2xy \: dy = xy^2 +C[br]

Long answer, may be a little to sophisticated for a beginning A-level student - but do ask me if you want it explained a bit more!

Define the (definite) integral
Unparseable latex formula:

\int_a^b f(x) dx [\latex] as the area under the curve [latex]y=f(x)[/latex]. Then it is possible to show that[br][latex][br]\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^x f(y) dy = f(x)[br][/latex][br]so that integration with respect to x is the 'reverse' of differentiation with respect to x. This is called the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Could you explain a bit more!
Original post by MajorFader

I'll try to write something up later today, and edit this post accordingly. It might take several hours though.

EDIT: Ok, here it is!

Consider a function f:RRf: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} . A function is like a 'number machine' - you put a real number in, and it converts it into another real number (possibly the same one). For example, we could have f(x)=x2 f(x)=x^2 , which sends a real number x to its square. Notice that the variable x is not fundamental, it's merely the name we've chosen to give the input variable. For example, if g sends y to y^2, and g and f have the same domain, then f and g are identical functions.

Given our function f, let F (note this F is capital) be given by

[br]F(p)=apf(x)dx[br][br]F(p)= \int_a^p f(x) dx[br]

Here, a is a fixed point, and p is a variable point. Convince yourself that F really is a function of p - that is, if you specify p, then the value of F(p) is uniquely determined. In particular, F(p) is equal to the area of the region shaded yellow in this picture:

Attachment not found

again, we integrated with respect to x, but this was not fundamental, we could have equally written F(p)=apf(y)dy F(p) = \int_a^p f(y) dy . However, the P is fundamental, since changing the location of the point P on the horizontal axis will change the area of the yellow region.

Now, what is the derivative of F? Well, the derivative is equal to F(p+h)F(p)h\frac{F(p+h)-F(p)}{h} when h is small.
This is equal to the area of the green region, divided by h. However, the green region is approximately equal to a rectangle of width h and height f(p)f(p), as shown in the diagram. [Caveat: Actually, I have drawn the wrong rectangle in this diagram - it should be a little shorter, so it has height f(p)f(p) rather than f(p+h)f(p+h). So the derivative of F with respect to p is F(p) as required.

I'm not really sure if this answers OP's question or not, but it difficult to answer it unless OP has a definition of integration. I have tried to give this (informally) here; hopefully it helps.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MajorFader

dx in this case means integrate in terms of x.
Uhmmm I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The integration equation is not called dx, it's the EQUATION. dx is a part of the equation. About the equation of a line, it is y in term of x, or y with respect to x. So integrating dx make perfect sense. And the final equation doesn't contain dx (it is ax^n+1 or something) so I'm not sure what you mean by "this is still called dx".

As you move on, you will know that you can integrate dy, dx, dt or whatever d you can come up with. Integrating is just "finding the area under a line".

When you have y=f(x)\displaystyle y=f(x) and evaluate I=abf(x).dx\displaystyle I=\int_a^b f(x) .dx, you are calculating the area between f(x)f(x) and the x-axis by summing up areas of rectangles of height f(x)f(x) and length dxdx - so really f(x).dxf(x).dx is just multiplying the height by the width. The symbol \displaystyle \int here means 'sum' when working with infinitesimals like dxdx. The limits denote the region between which you are finding the area for.
(edited 6 years ago)
Think of it as the sum of rectangles, as above the integral sign means sum. The height is the f (x) bit and the width is the dx, where dx is an infinitesimally small width.

If you Google "Riemann integration" you will be able to find a more sophisticated explanation.
(edited 6 years ago)
‘dx’ means that you integrate with regards to x.
Reply 9
Original post by theOldBean
I'll try to write something up later today, and edit this post accordingly. It might take several hours though.

EDIT: Ok, here it is!

Consider a function f:RRf: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} . A function is like a 'number machine' - you put a real number in, and it converts it into another real number (possibly the same one). For example, we could have f(x)=x2 f(x)=x^2 , which sends a real number x to its square. Notice that the variable x is not fundamental, it's merely the name we've chosen to give the input variable. For example, if g sends y to y^2, and g and f have the same domain, then f and g are identical functions.

Given our function f, let F (note this F is capital) be given by

[br]F(p)=apf(x)dx[br][br]F(p)= \int_a^p f(x) dx[br]

Here, a is a fixed point, and p is a variable point. Convince yourself that F really is a function of p - that is, if you specify p, then the value of F(p) is uniquely determined. In particular, F(p) is equal to the area of the region shaded yellow in this picture:

Attachment not found

again, we integrated with respect to x, but this was not fundamental, we could have equally written F(p)=apf(y)dy F(p) = \int_a^p f(y) dy . However, the P is fundamental, since changing the location of the point P on the horizontal axis will change the area of the yellow region.

Now, what is the derivative of F? Well, the derivative is equal to F(p+h)F(p)h\frac{F(p+h)-F(p)}{h} when h is small.
This is equal to the area of the green region, divided by h. However, the green region is approximately equal to a rectangle of width h and height f(p)f(p), as shown in the diagram. [Caveat: Actually, I have drawn the wrong rectangle in this diagram - it should be a little shorter, so it has height f(p)f(p) rather than f(p+h)f(p+h). So the derivative of F with respect to p is F(p) as required.

I'm not really sure if this answers OP's question or not, but it difficult to answer it unless OP has a definition of integration. I have tried to give this (informally) here; hopefully it helps.

Thank you for your very in-depth response. In your previous post you said that "dx means that is the variable with respect to which you are integrating", other people have said this in the comments and it is what my teacher told me. However when I look up the meaning online I am told that dx means "an infinitely small width of x" (I screen-shotted this definition in my post), so this conflict of definitions confuses me. The definition of dx meaning "that is the variable with respect to which you are integrating" makes sense to me, but the definition of it being "an infinitely small width of x" does not make sense in the context I am using dx in. However the width definition makes sense to me when doing dy/dx as this is the gradient, which is indeed found by dividing the difference in y by the difference in x. Until I came across dx by itself I always dy and dx made difference in that particular axis. Also, you said about me having a definition of integration. I would define integration as the reverse process to differentiation.

Btw, someone else mentioned of how that the value after d isn't just limited to x. I understand this, I just kept to dx as an example.
I'm doing a maths degree and I'm not sure how I'd go about explaining that
Reply 11
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Uhmmm I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The integration equation is not called dx, it's the EQUATION. dx is a part of the equation. About the equation of a line, it is y in term of x, or y with respect to x. So integrating dx make perfect sense. And the final equation doesn't contain dx (it is ax^n+1 or something) so I'm not sure what you mean by "this is still called dx".

As you move on, you will know that you can integrate dy, dx, dt or whatever d you can come up with. Integrating is just "finding the area under a line".

Hi. Thanks for your response. It is mainly the definition of dx (or dy, dt, etc.) I have an issue with. I have been told "dx means that is the variable with respect to which you are integrating", other people have said this in the comments and it is what my teacher told me. However when I look up the meaning online I am told that dx means "an infinitely small width of x" (I screen-shotted this definition in my post), so this conflict of definitions confuses me. The definition of dx meaning "that is the variable with respect to which you are integrating" makes sense to me, but the definition of it being "an infinitely small width of x" does not make sense in the context I am using dx in. However the width definition makes sense to me when doing dy/dx as this is the gradient, which is indeed found by dividing the difference in y by the difference in x. Until I came across dx by itself I always dy and dx made difference in that particular axis.
And you said of how that the value after d isn't just limited to x. I understand this, I just kept to dx as an example.
Reply 12
Original post by y.onderly
‘dx’ means that you integrate with regards to x.

Hi. Thanks for your response. It is mainly the definition of dx (or dy, dt, etc.) I have an issue with. I have been told "dx means that is the variable with respect to which you are integrating", other people have said this in the comments and it is what my teacher told me. However when I look up the meaning online I am told that dx means "an infinitely small width of x" (I screen-shotted this definition in my post), so this conflict of definitions confuses me. The definition of dx meaning "that is the variable with respect to which you are integrating" makes sense to me, but the definition of it being "an infinitely small width of x" does not make sense in the context I am using dx in. However the width definition makes sense to me when doing dy/dx as this is the gradient, which is indeed found by dividing the difference in y by the difference in x. Until I came across dx by itself I always dy and dx made difference in that particular axis.
Reply 13
Original post by Hammad(214508)
dx in this case means integrate in terms of x.

Hi. It is mainly the definition of dx (or dy, dt, etc.) I have an issue with. I have been told "dx means that is the variable with respect to which you are integrating", other people have said this in the comments and it is what my teacher told me. However when I look up the meaning online I am told that dx means "an infinitely small width of x" (I screen-shotted this definition in my post), so this conflict of definitions confuses me. The definition of dx meaning "that is the variable with respect to which you are integrating" makes sense to me, but the definition of it being "an infinitely small width of x" does not make sense in the context I am using dx in. However the width definition makes sense to me when doing dy/dx as this is the gradient, which is indeed found by dividing the difference in y by the difference in x. Until I came across dx by itself I always dy and dx made difference in that particular axis.
Thank you for your very in-depth response.

So as I understand it you are confused between two separate 'definitions'
(i) dx means a small piece of x
(ii) dx means integrate with respect to x

Perhaps the following remarks might help.

(i) Don't think of dx as having any meaning by itself. It is the dx, together with an integral sign, that has meaning. For example, the integral x2 \int x^2 has no meaning, because we haven't said what variable we are integrating with respect to, so we need the integral sign together with a 'dx' or 'dy' for our notation to make sense.

(ii) But where does the 'dx' notation come from? And what is the connection with 'a small piece of x'? This is easily explained if you know the definition of the definite integral. To find, 'the area under a curve', you approximate this area with a bunch of rectangles. Usually your curve is of the form y=f(x), and to get a good approximation we use a lot of tall, thin rectangles. 'Thin' means that their width - measured along the x axis, is small. So dx reminds us that our integral is defined by using lots of rectangles which are small in the x direction.

You can read more about (ii) by looking here, although it is a little technical:
http://math.feld.cvut.cz/mt/txtd/1/txe3da1a.htm

EDIT: You said you define integration to be the inverse of differentiation. This is a good definition for the indefinite integral. The definition of the definite integral is that it is the area under the curve between the limits. It is a theorem (i.e. a non-obvious fact) that these definitions amount to the same thing - I tried to explain why in my earlier post.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
So as I understand it you are confused between two separate 'definitions'
(i) dx means a small piece of x
(ii) dx means integrate with respect to x

Perhaps the following remarks might help.

(i) Don't think of dx as having any meaning by itself. It is the dx, together with an integral sign, that has meaning. For example, the integral x2 \int x^2 has no meaning, because we haven't said what variable we are integrating with respect to, so we need the integral sign together with a 'dx' or 'dy' for our notation to make sense.

(ii) But where does the 'dx' notation come from? And what is the connection with 'a small piece of x'? This is easily explained if you know the definition of the definite integral. To find, 'the area under a curve', you approximate this area with a bunch of rectangles. Usually your curve is of the form y=f(x), and to get a good approximation we use a lot of tall, thin rectangles. 'Thin' means that their width - measured along the x axis, is small. So dx reminds us that our integral is defined by using lots of rectangles which are small in the x direction.

You can read more about (ii) by looking here, although it is a little technical:
http://math.feld.cvut.cz/mt/txtd/1/txe3da1a.htm

EDIT: You said you define integration to be the inverse of differentiation. This is a good definition for the indefinite integral. The definition of the definite integral is that it is the area under the curve between the limits. It is a theorem (i.e. a non-obvious fact) that these definitions amount to the same thing - I tried to explain why in my earlier post.

Okay, thanks. This has made dx clearer to me. But you only talked about integration for finding the area underneath a curve; yet does the concept of the rectangles work when integrating the dy/dx of a line to get its original equation?
Okay, thanks. This has made dx clearer to me. But you only talked about integration for finding the area underneath a curve; yet does the concept of the rectangles work when integrating the dy/dx of a line to get its original equation?

Yes it does - I don't think I can explain this any better than I already have; perhaps you should reread the paragraph marked 'EDIT' in my previous post, and also my post before that, where I show (or, at least, give a plausible argument that) the 'inverse of differentiation' concept is consistent with the 'area under the curve' concept.

It might help to realise that the indefinite integral f(x)dx=F(x)+C \int f(x) dx = F(x) + C is the same thing as axf(y)dy=F(x)F(a) \int_a^x f(y) dy = F(x) - F(a) . In the first expression, the arbitrary constant is +C and in the second it is -F(a), but since these constants are arbitrary, these amount to the same thing.
Reply 17
Yes it does - I don't think I can explain this any better than I already have; perhaps you should reread the paragraph marked 'EDIT' in my previous post, and also my post before that, where I show (or, at least, give a plausible argument that) the 'inverse of differentiation' concept is consistent with the 'area under the curve' concept.

It might help to realise that the indefinite integral f(x)dx=F(x)+C \int f(x) dx = F(x) + C is the same thing as axf(y)dy=F(x)F(a) \int_a^x f(y) dy = F(x) - F(a) . In the first expression, the arbitrary constant is +C and in the second it is -F(a), but since these constants are arbitrary, these amount to the same thing.

Okay. Thank you. I can't say I completely understand, not due to fault on your explanation, but just on my fault for failing to fully understand. But you have certainly helped me a lot, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest