Laurel
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Gotta give a little presentation on women in the 2000's, not formal but I'd like to look into it.

Basically, the view/role of women in the 2000's. My initial thoughts were: equal, thing pretty much fine. But on not very much reflection I'd quickly changed my mind on that.

I know there's a thread on feminism just a little below but still, I'm asking your thoughts on it.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You could write about sexual politics (women being viewed as sluts or as frigid etc) and rape trials.
britishseapower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you could also discuss WAGS and Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan/Britney Spears or if you want some more credible women, Ellen Mcarthur (world record beaten recently), Paula Radcliffe, Jane Tomlinson and maybe even Hilary Clinton
Vampyrcorn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This isn't really going to help you, but i saw a slightly amusing/ somewhat silly article in the times the other day about how in the future men won't be needed at all and women will be all-powerful.
clicky

I wouldn't like a world without men. lol

Edit: Oh, by the way, I think you should write about women trying to balance work/families and the effects of this (women having children later on in life etc) and perhaps compare the benefits of women being equal (-ish) with how it was in the past, perhaps raising some of the problems that women's rights have caused too - possibly mentioning how greater autonomy has coincided with women seeking divorces (I've heard that women are more likely to file for divorce than men) and greater family breakdown. But whatever really.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There are more women than men at University now!
Thats got to be a major point...
JPL81
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The fact that women who achieve are still seen as remarkable surely has to say something about how far (or not) we've come. Also, why do most young women shirk away from the idea of feminism? bell hooks is worth reading on this issue. Can't deny we have moved forward, but how superficial is this? Language is a good indicator, we still talk about 'mankind' and 'man' when we mean human beings (not that I'm advocating mental political correctness but it's worth looking at). Most women I know still assume responsibility for the majority of housework. Not me mind, my other half soon learned to use the washing machine when I wouldn't wash his clothes!

Good luck.
Oswy
Report 11 years ago
Think about how work that has been traditionally associated with women (cleaning jobs, shop work, care work) are still generally low-paid or minimum-wage.

I'd also highlight the amazing level of gendering that is present in children's toys - bright pink cooking stoves and navy blue water pistols. Having said that I did see a pink pair of garden clippers recently, but that's not exactly rocking the boat.
Nadinus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah. We still haven't abolished specific gender roles. You only have to watch a film or turn on your tv to see that certain stereotypes are still being enforced. The thread on feminism (I don't know if it's still on the front page of GD but it's very recent) gives an idea of people's attitudes towards the subject (some stupid bickering in it, but still).
Could discuss female icons, who we look up to (celebrities, most of the time), the modern view on beauty. Even if you take just a simple topic you'll find loads of information on it.
Oh yeah, and postmodern feminism is worth a look (kind of difficult to read though).
randomgirl
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Um, maybe mention the pay gap. The idea of the more independent woman. The stuff mentioned above like wags and celebrity culture. Importance to somepeople, of gossip etc magazines. The whole size zero and body image stuff of more recent years.
Nadinus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
An interesting topic is the contradiction in magazines: on one hand you get all these articles saying "we love curvy girls!!!" but then along side it the advertisments portray girls in exactly the same way which is supposedly be condemned.
laced
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ Or an article alongside it criticising stars for being on the large side/putting on weight. Especially beach photos.
louisedotcom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Based on my experiences at uni and working in nightclubs, id say women on the whole were alot more promiscuous than I thought before.

By which I mean, when I lived at home and before I worked in clubs, I didnt realise how equal the whole one night stands, and just going to clubs to pull was. I mean I wasnt completely naive, I knew there were obviously women that did it, but it seems generally acceptable and rather widespread now for a whole group of girls to sit down and just discuss who they pulled the night before. I thought it was by far more men that did that kind of thing. I dont think that anymore- but perhaps the university setting or the people ive encounterned.

(Note: I am not saying all women are sluts, or that any woman who has a 1 night stand is a slut :p:)

So yeah basically Id say women in the 2000's are probably more sexually liberated than they probably were in previous decades.
Nadinus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The problem being that there's still double standards regarding promiscuity.
ie, a guy can crudely brag "I'm getting bare pussy atm" while a girl cannot openly discuss her sex life without being seen as vulgar or "unladylike" :\
JPL81
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Gender weighting of language is telling. Very rarely hear of men being described as promiscuous. Still remember my mam telling me not to sleep around beacuse it would ruin my 'reputation'. Can't imagine she had the same discussion with my brother!
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Marriage seems to be coming back into fashion - perhaps an unexpected development? Also think about the role of prenups - women seem much more savvy about their rights. However, conversely women have also been known recently to take the piss during divorce, basically leaving their ex-husbands financially broken men.

louisedotcom: out of interest, do you really think of it as sexual liberation, or do you think of it more as a warped throwback from more oldfashioned times (i.e. women acting in a certain way in order to please men)?
Nadinus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Angelil)
Marriage seems to be coming back into fashion - perhaps an unexpected development? Also think about the role of prenups - women seem much more savvy about their rights. However, conversely women have also been known recently to take the piss during divorce, basically leaving their ex-husbands financially broken men.

louisedotcom: out of interest, do you really think of it as sexual liberation, or do you think of it more as a warped throwback from more oldfashioned times (i.e. women acting in a certain way in order to please men)?
Interesting you say that - I read a passage in which it stated that women's sexuality was purely masochistic ie, whereas men can completely indulge in sexual activity, for women it is by being an object of desire and pleasing men that they get their pleasure.
JPL81
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sorry, this is my third post, but on the subject of marriage, why do women persist in taking their husband's name? I did, and I'm mad at myself for doing it. I wasn't under any pressure from my other half to do so, I was just very lazy about constantly explaining to his scottish presbytarian family my reasons for keeping my own name.
Angelil
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think it matters whose name you take as long as both partners have the same one. Impression of unity, means the kids (if you have them) all have the same name too, avoids confusion...
JPL81
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree with that, but my kids will definitely get my unmarried name as a middle name. My objection is the historic reasoning behind women taking their husband's name. When I get stuff addressed to Mrs James Laird I go beserk!
Angelil
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Tbh I don't really care. So you get your husband's name instead of your father's, big deal. Still all slightly misogynistic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads