noiseytoucan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have a homework question that says "State and explain the effect a single Be2+ ion would have on a Cl- ion, and explain how the above effect would lead to the formation of a covalent bond". I don't know if the question means the ions form covalent bonds with other species, but probably not.
I thought that the ions would just be attracted together like any other ionic bond and form BeCl2, but that doesn't explain why it would lead to a covalent bond. If this covelant bond is with another species my best guess would be that some sort of dative covelant bond, but I am still not sure what the 'above effect' is.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by noiseytoucan)
I have a homework question that says "State and explain the effect a single Be2+ ion would have on a Cl- ion, and explain how the above effect would lead to the formation of a covalent bond". I don't know if the question means the ions form covalent bonds with other species, but probably not.
I thought that the ions would just be attracted together like any other ionic bond and form BeCl2, but that doesn't explain why it would lead to a covalent bond. If this covelant bond is with another species my best guess would be that some sort of dative covelant bond, but I am still not sure what the 'above effect' is.
Be2+ is very small, which means that it has a very high charge density (charge/volume) and hence polarising ability.

It can polarise the chloride ions electron pair back towards itself resulting in a shared pair of electrons (covalent bond)
noiseytoucan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by charco)
Be2+ is very small, which means that it has a very high charge density (charge/volume) and hence polarising ability.

It can polarise the chloride ions electron pair back towards itself resulting in a shared pair of electrons (covalent bond)
Thank you, I don't think I've come across this before but it makes sense now!
Medic Mind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there! Although your question was answered very well, if you would like to read more about this topic and many other topics, check out our FREE resources covering: FULL revision notes of Biology, Chemistry and Economics written by a tutor who attained nearly full UMS in these subjects (all A*s), past paper questions and model answers compiled by topic - we believe that making notes based on model answers, memorising and understanding them consolidates your knowledge, and confidence in answering various different question types given to you in the exam! That’s how our expert tutors have all attained As and A*s in their A Levels!

Resources: www.medicmind.co.uk/resources

If you would like more support in your studies, feel free to contact us - do not hesitate to ask us questions! We provide 1-1 tutoring for A Level and GCSE Students, and A Levels covering: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Economics and more, from as little as £25 per hour!

All the best!

Dhaval N - Medic Mind Tutor

Best UK Medical Startup 2017

www.interviewcourse.co.uk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (58)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (46)
22.66%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
10.34%
No - I live at home during term anyway (54)
26.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise