The Student Room Group

Presentation Anxiety at University

I have been asked to give a group presentation in 3 of my classes at university but I have extreme presentation anxiety so I am just feeling so stressed out and I don’t know what to do in this situation. The presentation is to my class of 18 people and although I get on and speak to everyone, the thought of presenting to them terrifies me. Although people always tell me presentations will get better with practice, for me they have just gotten worse to the point where I can’t face presenting at all.

I have spoken to my academic advisor and she has just basically told me that she can’t do anything about it. I know that she may not fully understand where I’m coming from and how I feel, but it seems that she doesn’t want to help in any way and she thinks I’m just being a pain which has just made matters worse. It may not sound like a big deal to the majority of people but it’s taking over my life and it’s making me feel so sick and ill all the time. I keep thinking that dropping out will be easier than carrying on but I know in the long run I will obviously regret my decision.

In general, I’m a confident person and I don’t have any problem when it comes to talking to people or handling stressful situations but for some reason, I just can’t present. These presentations don’t count towards my final grade and so they aren’t an essential part of the course they have just been given to us by lecturers to do in their classes. I was thinking of just not attending the class but I would be letting my group down.

Would anyone be able to offer me any advice on what I should do. Has anyone experienced this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I went through the same thing! My first time doing a presentation and I talked so much without breathing I constantly had to take in massive gulps and nearly passed out.
Tbh I think mostly everyone in your class will be going through the same thing so just take comfort in the fact that you’ll be presenting to many understanding people.
I don’t know if this will help but I found a stress ball and put it into my pocket, I clenched it and let go through the whole thing and it seemed to take my mind off it. I find that in the most stressful situations that if I have something I can fiddle with it can take my mind off what I’m doing.
Remember to breathe, talk clearly and make eye contact with the people you are talking to! One of the worst things is having your eyes on your cards and only imagining what people’s facial expressions look like. Better yet when you stand up find something to look at, like a centre point, look at your class but always find your way back to a certain point when you feel yourself getting worked up.
Practise, the more you know about your subject the easier it will be and try not to think too much about it when you’re not rehearsing.
Try the stress ball, a scrunched up piece of paper, present to family or friends, talk to a classmate who may be feeling the same. Concentrate on the elation you will feel when the presentation is over.
If you make a mistake or get your words mixed up, laugh it off. Remember that the audience will be going through the same situation as you and that they won’t judge you for feeling the pressure.
I hated presentations, it was the worst part of my course so I can definitely feel your pain. Don’t back out! You’ll feel worse when it’s over, get it over with and add to your presentation experience! The feeling of seeing it through and beating your own insecurities is the best! Good luck!
With presentations I think it's important to cover all your bases. Make sure you cover all potential questions and know your topic well. That in-itself should reduce anxiety. When you're doing the presentation make a conscious effort to slow down your words, maintain brief eye-contact with audience members and smile. Most important thing is to practice, ideally with family members and/or friends. When you're standing to do your presentation keep your head up and shoulders back. Adopting an assertive posture can reduce anxiety. Hope all goes well for you!

Quick Reply

Latest