Hangover free vodka Watch

bret
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I've recently been having some of the worst hangovers of my life--being sick, flu-like symptoms for days and generally loathing myself. So my friend recommended a brand of vodka called SKYY as an aparantly hangover free option. I went down to the supermarket and they'd run out, so I bought a similar looking brand called Svedka (I'm not sure if you can get these in the UK). Last night I got pretty drunk on it, at least to a point where blended scotch or gin would have had me throwing up the next morning. But I'm feeling really good, almost as though I'd not had anything to drink. Even when I was drinking it the physical effects didn't seem as bad. Am I just being a sucker for the brand (i.e. it's psychological), or has anyone else had similar experiences with a particular tipple?
username145063
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The clearer/lighter the colour of the drink, the better your hangover. E.g. Red wine gives a worse hangover than white wine. Obviously this doesn't apply in this case, could just be something to do with what you were drinking before.
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Also better quality spirits are more filtered so have less impurities = better hangover. Tesco value voddie, despite being clear, can still give you a nasty hangover. also SKYY is nasty american made stuff - stick to stuff from places that know vodka. Russia, Poland, Finland, Sweden etc.
SBP
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DHthe2nd)
The clearer/lighter the colour of the drink, the better your hangover. E.g. Red wine gives a worse hangover than white wine. Obviously this doesn't apply in this case, could just be something to do with what you were drinking before.
Serious?

And also, the idea of a hangover-free drink sounds cool, but wouldn't that just be like a placebo?
username156343
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think maybe it is just a lower alcohol conc.

And as you were drinking a lot of it, your mind helped you getting 'drunk' as if you drank a normal brand of vodka if that makes any sense???
SBP
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lodzinski)
better hangover.
When you say 'better' do you mean reduced, or more of a hangover? I think the obvious answer is reduced, right!? :confused:
qgujxj39
Report 11 years ago
I think it was probably all in the mind.

Similar to the myth that Stella has "something" in it other than alcohol that makes you violent, it has no basis at all except in people's heads.
JaSPLuNK!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Drink the vodka with a juice.

As above, the clearer the drink the less crap is in it (forgot the chemical name but it contributes to hangovers). Also drink like 1 or 2 pints of water before you sleep that night, it won't feel good but it's better drinking it in the morning when you can't bare to look at a glass of any liquid!

When I drink vodka, I prefer Smirnoff for consistency and pureness.

edit: "Congeners" make drinks darker
pretz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bret)
I've recently been having some of the worst hangovers of my life--being sick, flu-like symptoms for days and generally loathing myself. So my friend recommended a brand of vodka called SKYY as an aparantly hangover free option. I went down to the supermarket and they'd run out, so I bought a similar looking brand called Svedka (I'm not sure if you can get these in the UK). Last night I got pretty drunk on it, at least to a point where blended scotch or gin would have had me throwing up the next morning. But I'm feeling really good, almost as though I'd not had anything to drink. Even when I was drinking it the physical effects didn't seem as bad. Am I just being a sucker for the brand (i.e. it's psychological), or has anyone else had similar experiences with a particular tipple?
What do you usually drink?
bret
Rep:
?
I usually drink either scotch or gin and tonics when I'm in, but when I go out I have a few Stellas. I find blended scotch hangovers to be the worst, and it doesn't matter about the price of the blend either. Tesco value scotch actually gives me less of a hangover than Johnny Black Label or Cutty. Stella gives a horrid hangover if you have enough.

I'm not tryinbg to say that it's hangover free--that would be rediculous. One chenmical that does give us hangovers is alcohol, so drink enough of any spirit and you'll get a hangover any which way. I know Svedka is distilled 5 times (SKYY is distilled 4) and was voted 2nd best vodka by a wine magazine (after Grey Goose).

As for Smirnoff, I think it's nasty.
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I never get hangovers but pretty much used to stick to straight good quality vodka when I drank. Mixing drinks gives you hangovers. Drinking rubbish gives you hangovers.

As for SKYY being second best vodka, no wonder if it was by a wine magazine. :rolleyes: No ****ing way. Smirnoff is rubbish, whoever mentioned that.
Petit chou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I find red wine and beer gives me the worst hangovers, luckily i don't like either and stick to spirits, they get you drunk quicker and they're cheaper. Haven't really experimented with different types of vodka though, usually stick to smirnoff cos i know what it is i'm getting then so i'm not wasting my money lol.
bret
Rep:
?
No, it was Svedka that was voted second. SKYY didn't rank in the top five. Vodka has just overtaken the US and there are so many diff. brands.
chaywa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
Smirnoff is rubbish, whoever mentioned that.
Sensible drinker is sensible...

If you want hangover free vodka, then get a pint glass, fill it half with vodka, a third with water and the rest Ribena. it tastes like Ribena, you get mashed within 30 minutes and you wake up the next morning fine...but that may just be me :P
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by chaywa)
Sensible drinker is sensible...

If you want hangover free vodka, then get a pint glass, fill it half with vodka, a third with water and the rest Ribena. it tastes like Ribena, you get mashed within 30 minutes and you wake up the next morning fine...but that may just be me :P
Or you just fill the pint glass the whole way up with vodka and appreciate the taste.

Why would you want vodka to taste like ribena?

(Original post by bret)
No, it was Svedka that was voted second. SKYY didn't rank in the top five. Vodka has just overtaken the US and there are so many diff. brands.
Ah, makes more sense. I've not tried Svedka so no comment.
smalltownboy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I find Smirnoff much easier to drink straight, and gives much less of a hangover than ****ty value brands.
SBP
Report 11 years ago
I only have absolute or smirnoff. Up until today, had never heard of SKYY. Apparently it's distilled quite alot, so I'm guessing it's better than Glens or other cheap stuff :p:
All at once
Badges: 1
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
appreciate the taste.
...of VODKA?? Now i've heard it all.
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by All at once)
...of VODKA?? Now i've heard it all.
I wouldn't expect Brits to understand. Everyone is so obsessed with just getting as much alcohol down their necks as possible, which is to be expected; if I only drank smirnoff I'd want to cover the taste too.
SBP
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
I wouldn't expect Brits to understand. Everyone is so obsessed with just getting as much alcohol down their necks as possible.
Wouldn't that be similar to saying that all American's enjoy food, and lots of it?

A bit steretypical, no?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads