The Student Room Group

Goodreads Challenge 2018 Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

I know its nearly the end of January so already a month in, but is anyone doing the challenge this year on Goodreads? I've set mine to 20 which should be achievable throughout the year. :smile:

If so:

How many books are you challenging yourself to?

Have you done it before?

Are you increasing your target if you meet your goal? :tongue:

This is my fifth year doing it. :smile:

Spoiler

I've set my goal to 52 books again this year. It doesn't really feel like a challenge as I've done in twice already, but I didn't want to set it too high either. :tongue: If I hit my current goal I'll probably raise it. The only year I've raised my goal was in 2015 - which was from 30 to 35, IIRC. To keep things interesting I'm following the Around the Year in 52 Books theme list that @Michiyo posted a discussion thread about here. (:
Merged the two Goodreads Challenge threads, my fault for being a terrible section leader. :ahee:

I'm taking part in the standard 'Read X books this year' part of the challenge, but it's all manga. And I've cut down from my usual 250 volumes to just 50, to make more time for gaming. :o: So it's less of a challenge and more of an easy stroll, but here's a link in case anyone's interested. :giggle:
Original post by Michiyo
Read it for topic 16, maybe? :colondollar:

I ended up reading it for Prompt #5. It was fascinating. I'm having a moral dilemma in rating it though because it kind of feels wrong to take a stance on a real person's diary that ends abruptly and was published post-humorously.

I read up on her life post-diary after and realised that I once met a guy who was in the same concentration camp she died in. Then my next thought was I wonder if he's still alive because that was 12-14 years ago now. :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Merged the two Goodreads Challenge threads, my fault for being a terrible section leader. :ahee:

I'm taking part in the standard 'Read X books this year' part of the challenge, but it's all manga. And I've cut down from my usual 250 volumes to just 50, to make more time for gaming. :o: So it's less of a challenge and more of an easy stroll, but here's a link in case anyone's interested. :giggle:

Thank you, dearest jellyfish! :lovehug: And you are not a bad SL at all :jumphug:

That is so you! :rofl: I could do it with manga too (I am actually reading a manga right now and have finished seven volumes already), but I decided to stick to books for the purpose of the challenge. :yep:
I’m doing the challenge this year (it’ll be my second year). Last year I read 108 books from my target goal of 100 but I’ve kept it at 50 this year because I doubt I will have as much time.
Reply 46
Original post by sjbelkin
I’m doing the challenge this year (it’ll be my second year). Last year I read 108 books from my target goal of 100 but I’ve kept it at 50 this year because I doubt I will have as much time.

That is impressive! :zomg: Well done! :adore: I wish I had the same amount of dedication as you, but truth to be told, I have probably not finished as many books as you read last year in my entire lifetime :rofl:

My first goal was just 16 (as my yearly average is 14-15), which I am very close to achieving :biggrin: My other goal is 52; one for each of the topics :yep:

I understand you perfectly :console: I only got to finish three books last year because I was almost always extremely stressed or extremely busy :sad:

Good luck with reaching your goal! :cube: (But given how many books you finished last year, I doubt you will need it :wink2: )
Original post by Michiyo
That is impressive! :zomg: Well done! :adore: I wish I had the same amount of dedication as you, but truth to be told, I have probably not finished as many books as you read last year in my entire lifetime :rofl:

My first goal was just 16 (as my yearly average is 14-15), which I am very close to achieving :biggrin: My other goal is 52; one for each of the topics :yep:

I understand you perfectly :console: I only got to finish three books last year because I was almost always extremely stressed or extremely busy :sad:

Good luck with reaching your goal! :cube: (But given how many books you finished last year, I doubt you will need it :wink2: )

It’s more boredom than dedication but thank you! Good luck with your goal too
Reply 48
Original post by sjbelkin
It’s more boredom than dedication but thank you! Good luck with your goal too

I feel you :five: I read a lot when I am bored. My internet did not work for a while and I eventually ended up reading a book a day for fourteen days due to that. :ashamed2:

Thank you! :lovehug:

You're not a bad SL :biggrin:
I read wayyyy more manga than books too :tongue: I probably should get some more books in instead of translations :yes:
It's week six: a book originally written in a language other than English! :biggrin:
I'm going with Blackout by Marc Elsberg. Originally written in German. 🇩🇪

not gonna lie I totally thought I'd have given up by now. >.>
Procrastinated way too much from reading this week.:emo:

my fault for being a terrible section leader. :ahee:
:lies:
(edited 6 years ago)
Goal achieved, right at the last minute! :yay: How did everyone else do? :smile:
Goal achieved, right at the last minute! :yay: How did everyone else do? :smile:

I decided at the beginning of the year I'd do 25, but I managed 30. Decided to count the Highway Code in the end (it was boring). Discovered a huge range of books this year as well :woo:
Failed completely at the themed-based reading but as for quantity of books I set out to read 52 and in the end read 62. :smile:
Admittedly I haven't touched a book in months though - when uni began again in September my reading just stopped. My grades were much better this semester though so I'd say it paid off. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending