Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm applying for uni for entry this September, and my parents have told me they won't pay anything towards it - they expect me to get a job over the summer to save up for it. I'm not against this, however am worried about actually getting a job. I'm also worrying about financing uni while I'm there - I get the lowest student loan due to my parents' household income. Has anyone else had to deal with this/ know what I can do? :/
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm applying for uni for entry this September, and my parents have told me they won't pay anything towards it - they expect me to get a job over the summer to save up for it. I'm not against this, however am worried about actually getting a job. I'm also worrying about financing uni while I'm there - I get the lowest student loan due to my parents' household income. Has anyone else had to deal with this/ know what I can do? :/
Very few people have, or expect, their parents pay for university, so join the club. :lol: A student loan is paid when you start earning over a certain amount annually so why are they expecting you to get a job to pay for it now? You don't have to pay anything straight up for university. Where do you live?
username853993
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hannxm)
Very few people have, or expect, their parents pay for university, so join the club. :lol: A student loan is paid when you start earning over a certain amount annually so why are they expecting you to get a job to pay for it now? You don't have to pay anything straight up for university. Where do you live?
The op is saying their parents earn over the amount (think it is £60k) to get any more than the ~£4k minimum you get from sfe, sfe expect you to get help from your parents in this case due to their household income. So they would need to get a job over summer or in term time (if the parents dont help) as rent alone costs around or over that amount at almost every uni, so that would mean no money left for food, uni supplies etc
Anonymous #1
I live in the South East, it's more about affording accommodation/ student living (e.g. Bus pass, train fare) I'm worried about I realise there's a lot of others in the same boat (or worse) though

Just feels a bit stressful being told I have to get a paid job though as I have no clue where to start
Anonymous #1
(Original post by madmadmax321)
The op is saying their parents earn over the amount (think it is £60k) to get any more than the ~£3k minimum you get from sfe, sfe expect you to get help from your parents in this case due to their household income
Yup, they've said they won't though they haven't told me exactly how much they earn, just that it's over the threshold
Anna1029
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I live in the South East, it's more about affording accommodation/ student living (e.g. Bus pass, train fare) I'm worried about I realise there's a lot of others in the same boat (or worse) though

Just feels a bit stressful being told I have to get a paid job though as I have no clue where to start
Print out a bunch of CVs and go around local shops etc and hand them out. Chances are, you’ll get some replies
Also, look into any summer camps that you could help out at.
Hope this helps xx
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by madmadmax321)
The op is saying their parents earn over the amount (think it is £60k) to get any more than the ~£4k minimum you get from sfe, sfe expect you to get help from your parents in this case due to their household income. So they would need to get a job over summer or in term time (if the parents dont help) as rent alone costs around or over that amount at almost every uni, so that would mean no money left for food, uni supplies etc
Oh right, well that's not fair. Not every parent gives their kids money for things.
12ksmith
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the argument here is that the OP will only be entitled to the lowest band loan based on his parents income, even though they won’t be contributing!
username853993
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh right, well that's not fair. Not every parent gives their kids money for things.
It might not be fair but it is expected (and I can see why, as in most cases parents do)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anna1029)
Print out a bunch of CVs and go around local shops etc and hand them out. Chances are, you’ll get some replies
Also, look into any summer camps that you could help out at.
Hope this helps xx
Thank you luckily I'm near quite a few large shopping complexes so I'll try doing that
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is the thing with the maintenance loan that I discussed with my friend at some point. For tuition fees, there is no expectation whatever your parents earn for them to pay anything towards it. I don't expect my parents to chip in at all for that. But because of the way that the maintenance loan is worked out, there is a bit of an expectation from the companies that if you come from a family in the highest earning bracket they should help out with some of your living costs, hence why you're entitled to a smaller maintenance loan. But if you're in a situation like OP where parents in high bracket refuse to help you could say that those with parents that earn less tend are better of in this situation.

I suggest OP you do what I'm planning to do. Get a good 5 day job between A Level exams and university and save up as much as possible before you move out. Then if you come into dire straits because you're running low, ask for some financial help to see you through till next payday or whatever. You could even offer to pay them back. I think really what they mean is that they won't support you if say you want to buy some drinks on a night out or something similar. I'm taking a gap year just so I can save up even more for this situation. But because I'll be commuting my maintenance loan will be going on a season pass for the train and the money I've saved up will probably go towards paying a bit of rent.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should just try and get a job - your parents obviously think that's fair. Go round local places and ask how they hire and when they usually hire. Have some CVs but don't just ask if you can leave one as many places have online apps and will just bin it after you leave. So ask where you can find job adverts. Unfortunately this isn't a great time of year for it. But you'll just have to keep looking, something will come up.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depending on your uni course, there should be no reason why you can't also work a few hours during term time.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Get saving. Ask for cash for uni for birthdays (even instead of Easter eggs).

Look for weekend or evening work that you can start now. Offer to do extra odd jobs for cash for your family. See if anyone in yr12 is willing to pay you for tutoring in your A level subjects (teaching others is actually an excellent way to revise). Make and sell things (do you make amazing breakfast muffins? Sell them at sixth form for £1 a pop) Do your research about overdrafts available on student accounts. Look at the prices of accommodation at your universities (including renting privately) and decide whether you prefer a private toilet or having a budget to eat/go out. Think about what you spend money on now and start cutting down so that you can save more.

If all that fails arrange to marry a friend who is also off to university this year. You’ll both be classed as independent of your parents and get the full loan.
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Get saving. Ask for cash for uni for birthdays (even instead of Easter eggs).

Look for weekend or evening work that you can start now. Offer to do extra odd jobs for cash for your family. See if anyone in yr12 is willing to pay you for tutoring in your A level subjects (teaching others is actually an excellent way to revise). Make and sell things (do you make amazing breakfast muffins? Sell them at sixth form for £1 a pop) Do your research about overdrafts available on student accounts. Look at the prices of accommodation at your universities (including renting privately) and decide whether you prefer a private toilet or having a budget to eat/go out. Think about what you spend money on now and start cutting down so that you can save more.

If all that fails arrange to marry a friend who is also off to university this year. You’ll both be classed as independent of your parents and get the full loan.
In addition to this, I think its good to carefully consider the rental period of the accommodation. Your parents may not be willing to support you but they probably don't mind you returning home so if you can get accommodation that doesn't charge you for holiday periods and finishes right as term ends - that would be great. The difference between 36ish week accommodation and 51 week accommodation is not insignificant.
And definitely look ahead at the job opportunities the University you'll be going to, provide. They're quite often well paid - for example the res advisors at mine get #9ish an hr iirc. And are aimed at students so might be on campus and may be doable between lectures.
Fighter365
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My parents won’t support me because they can’t manage their money like a normal family which makes me angry enough to not want to do a gap year so I can get away. If I could I would stay there for 52weeks a year.
Fimum
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The student loan pays the tuition fee of approx £9,500 which will be paid back via your PAYE tax when you start working and earning over £25,000.... The Maintenance part (accommodation/living) is a different amount given by the government ranging from £5,000 - to £11,000 and that’s a means tested scale - so If your parents earn and over £60,000 household income your only entitled to £5000 and if they refuse to help you - you’re screwed basically! My brother is in exactly the same boat - his uni in London have said he needs £1,200 per month to survive (doesn’t include tuition fees) - He is 6,000 per year short and he’s never going to earn that whilst doing a very stressful full on course - he considering giving up his place at uni because of it 😢 so sad and unfair.
Last edited by Fimum; 11 months ago
Fighter365
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Fimum)
The student loan pays the tuition fee of approx £9,500 which will be paid back via your PAYE tax when you start working and earning over £25,000.... The Maintenance part (accommodation/living) is a different amount given by the government ranging from £5,000 - to £11,000 and that’s a means tested scale - so If your parents earn and over £60,000 household income your only entitled to £5000 and if they refuse to help you - you’re screwed basically! My brother is in exactly the same boat - his uni in London have said he needs £1,200 per month to survive (doesn’t include tuition fees) - He is 6,000 per year short and he’s never going to earn that whilst doing a very stressful full on course - he considering giving up his place at uni because of it 😢 so sad and unfair.
It’s so unfair. Is he able to work for a year, save and then go back?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Fimum)
He could get married. Then the household income assessment would be based on his spouse.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thank you luckily I'm near quite a few large shopping complexes so I'll try doing that
Ask them if they will give you what they are saving by not having to feed you or heat your room or wash your clothes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (221)
33.54%
No (438)
66.46%

Watched Threads