The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi5 on the late interview letter!!
aparantly it's the hardest after oxbridge *screams* but they assess you on teachability not what you know already, so it should be ok..
so im told.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Lies! Imperial's interview was jolly as anything! The interviewer gave us all a tour of the research labs, took us for tea and biscuits, had a chat. Then he did the interviews at the end. I found mine enjoyable. :smile:
Reply 3
Physics interviews arent really interviews :tongue: Computing ones are kind of tough though
Reply 4
HCD
Lies! Imperial's interview was jolly as anything! The interviewer gave us all a tour of the research labs, took us for tea and biscuits, had a chat. Then he did the interviews at the end. I found mine enjoyable. :smile:

Obviously it varys by department, but mine was more like this. Had the tour, lunch, a little lecture from the admissions tutor then individule interviews.

It was just a plesent chat about [academic] interests and some basic concepts. Nothing like the "Solve this nasty equation" you get from Oxbridge. TBH, I think that most of the time being asked to go to interview is not to asses your academic ability (as that's what you grades are for) but to check you arn't plain stupid. It's likley they have already decided to give you an offer, and will unless there is a serious problem... i.e. you haven't read what you said you have.

Relax :smile:
Reply 5
wais
Physics interviews arent really interviews :tongue: Computing ones are kind of tough though

They're nice, though! :p:
Reply 6
Thanks guys.
I just hope they don't give me some tough chemistry questions - although if anythings asked about the stuff I've already revised (for the exams just gone) then I should be fine.

Btw, seems a stupid question, but what should I where? I'm male btw :biggrin: . Do I need to be formal such as where a shirt and trousers. Or can I where 'proffesional' casual clothes such as smart jumper and dark coloured jeans?

And yeh, it says on my letter that I'll do what most people are telling me here actually. Tour, lunch and then hopefully, not a gruelling interview.

Thanks,
Jam.
unikq
hi5 on the late interview letter!!
aparantly it's the hardest after oxbridge *screams* but they assess you on teachability not what you know already, so it should be ok..
so im told.

nah, it depends on the course. Imperial is like UCL.... some of the interviews can be bitches, but only for the hardest courses in the country to get onto, some of which are at these 2 unis (ESPS at UCL is one, not sure about Imperial)
Reply 8
jam12
Thanks guys.
I just hope they don't give me some tough chemistry questions - although if anythings asked about the stuff I've already revised (for the exams just gone) then I should be fine.

Btw, seems a stupid question, but what should I where? I'm male btw :biggrin: . Do I need to be formal such as where a shirt and trousers. Or can I where 'proffesional' casual clothes such as smart jumper and dark coloured jeans?

And yeh, it says on my letter that I'll do what most people are telling me here actually. Tour, lunch and then hopefully, not a gruelling interview.

Thanks,
Jam.

I wore a shirt and tie, not a full on suit. I thought "Imperial", just listen to the classy name. Better dress to match! :biggrin: Most other applicants had suits (pinstripe jackets etc :p:), but it didn't bother me.
Reply 9
jam12

Yeah, thats what i went for, and wasn't at all out of place. Some where suits, some between the two (Like HCD) hell, one was even in shorts! Clearly a northerner who's used to the cold! (It was still october then)

And again, relax :smile:
Reply 10
:frown:.. computing ones are tough?
thats the one im going in for...
Reply 11
If you're good at Computing and Maths, I'm sure you'll survive! :p:
Reply 12
Master Polhem
If not you will probably die. (good luck! yes I am a really bad person)

At Imperial, if you're rejected you don't just get a letter. At the end of the tour, the Computing rejectees get taken into a "server room" to "have a look around". Or so they claim. The fact is, as soon as you walk in, you're sedated and the door is locked. You then have electrodes implanted into your brain, and join one of the many rows of Computing applicants who didn't quite make the grade - Imperial still have a use for you. You join one of the banks of biological computers linked up to the Mainframe to perform powerful algorithms using areas of the brain you never knew you had. You're fed through a drip, and you're in a line of similar applicants, unable to move or speak, a vegetable. It's like huge banks of electric chairs with more bleeping. Some say the unsuccessful applicants are conscious throughout. Some say that's impossible. Nobody knows, because they cannot respond, and if you try to remove them form the mainframe, they die.

Don't let that put you off, though! :p:
Quite an imagination you have :0
Reply 14
wais
Quite an imagination you have :0

Oh, imagination is it? You're a Computing student, so you're obviously in on the conspiracy. Trying to cover it up with the "imagination" tag, honestly...
Reply 15
It's a department-wide project. They've got a Tokamak going down there with a positive net energy output, supplying the power.
Reply 16
That's what they want you to think. :wink:
Reply 17
I'll probably just play safe and where a shirt and tie. I've been asking a friends who have been on interviews and they've said that literally everyone wore suits. I'm not going that far by wearing a suit and I'm sure a shirt, tie, black trousers and my old school shoes ( :biggrin: ) should look more than smart.

Bring it on Imperial!!

Btw, anyone got any useful answers to typical questions such as...."Why do want to come to Imperial"? The obvious one is because its so highly ranked but any suggestions on other reasons?
Reply 18
The fact that London is awesome, perhaps? The fact that it has such good prospects for PhD and further study? The chances are, being an academic who chose to work in London, they'll approve!
I'm going to do Chemistry at Imperial next year! Hopefully see you :P I had my interview back in November, and it was pretty academic. I wouldn't panic about it though, as you can't revise for it or anything, they just want to see if you can work stuff out for yourself! I have to admit mine was almost as difficult as my Oxford interviews, but it was short, and not until the afternoon after tours and lunch etc., so you're quite relaxed by then. Mine they started asking about something I'd mentioned on my PS that I was interested, and then from there went off into a load of new stuff which was definitely a challenge, but if you approach it like you would a hard exam question, you should be ok! They don't expect youto get it right, they jsut want to see you have a stab at it, to see how you can try to apply other stuff. Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending