struz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
you've probably heard this all before but i just wanted to get another person's opinion on the matter: I really like the idea of studying medicine as I love the course content and generally the role of being a doctor, but am just worried of only setting my sights on medicine and then hating it once i'm in it.

i'm just having doubts as i've heard so many horror stories of the stress and even regrets people experience of going into medicine in the first place. then on the other hand, i've heard med students say the work is easier than a-levels!

i also really love psychology though. I do not necessarily want to be come a psychologist, rather just study it at degree level as i enjoy it so much. what worries me about doing this is the job prospects afterwards. other than possibly being a doctor, i have no idea about what i want to do and i'm just worrying that i'll regret not doing medicine if i choose psychology!

sorry for this long post but it's just been really stressing me out! any advice at would be greatly appreciated! thanks
JammyP
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Get some work experience, talk to real doctors, Working as a Health care assistant or just volunteering at a local hospital, or care home or hospice.

Experience as much in a caring setting as you can, also I'm sure some of the med students on here will be willing to lend their opinions.
dont_trust_busdrivers
Report 11 years ago
Also see if there are any summer schools or health care careers fair things that you ca go to. They do give you an insight and gives you oppoutnities to ask questions to people in the field. Maybe ask your careers advisers...etc they should know something! x
struz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
thanks for the advice guys!
Spacemonkey the 2nd
Report 11 years ago
I would say do medicine.

If you decide partway through the first year that you do not enjoy it, you can always change to another subject. However, trying to get into medicine from another subject may not be as easy.

Also, you can take an intercalated year in your course to get a degree in another subject in addition to the medical degree. This option only extends your course by a year, but you come out with two degrees, so it is like two for the price of one lol

I'm a second year dentist and am thinking of intercalating at the end of this year to get a BSc in microbiology 'cos it seems like a fun subject.
pinkpenguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You need to think really really hard over what you see yourself doing in say 10 years time.

About 3 weeks ago, I changed my mind. I have wanted to do medicine since I got into sport etc around year 8, but i have always been creatively minded rather than scientifically. So, I get my good GCSEs and i pick 2 sciences, maths and politics (which is my favourite subject!!).

But now I DESPISE Biology and would hate to study Science post A Level, dont like the idea of studying for hundreds of years and am only really doing it for my parents anyways...

Therefore, my mind has changed, Im swaying towards PPE and im gonna apply to Oxford. You need to think carefully, because I would have picked completey different subjects if i made this decision in the summer.

Good Luck!! :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads