The Student Room Group

Bring A LEVELS on!! A ReadySalted Revision Blog...

Scroll to see replies

Hi quick update:

-I did no revision today
- As sad as it was, the neighbours have left for Pakistan :frown: There was some crying and stuff like that..
- The family has just landed in Pakistan, like 15 minutes ago.

Feeling much better today. But I'm just thinking what I should get for Mothers day. I haven't got anything yet.. *HELP*

See you on the next one, hopefully I'll find a present in town tomorrow.
Peace. :smile:

Hi,

Ok so today is Friday. Let's get it. Quite a late midnight blog but hey.

16.03.18-

Today I have been updating my List journal (the black book) I have.
-> I went through all the revision advise everyone put on the thread thing that was out- very useful advise- thanks.
-> I made rough notes which I thought were quite good and then transferred this over to the List journal in neat so I can refer to that as I'm revising and want to explore an array of revision techniques.

List Journal:
-> From the advise, I split the advises into 3 sections.
1) Revision techniques- a list with everything then added below.
2) Exam preparation- pretty basic ie. exam papers, examiners notes, progress checks etc
3) Organisation- My biggest downfall- literally!!! I am the worst person when it comes to organisation- I think its a force of habit I have picked up over the years where I leave things till the last minute, VERY BAD. The 'today to do list' has been deserted quite a handful of times. But to have something I can refer to is quite good as I can 'feel' more organised--> and thus motivated to actually use the to do list.

Looking ahead:

- Failing to be prepared also means not anticipating whats ahead and planning for it. So to combat this, in the journal I have added each subject and the module scores I got last year to what I want this year--> I know what I am working towards. I hate, hate doing this just because it makes me feel quite panicky and anxious to an extent. But actually listing what I got last year, to what I want this year and then how I will improve to get there (very, very basic on the journal) has somewhat motivated to flipping absolute smash it out this year like I know where I'm standing now.

I know where I'm at, where I was and where I need to get to. Even if it means, I need to sacrifice some things to get there.

Tomorrow:

I'm creating a roadmap for BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY AND GEOGRAPHY tomorrow- this will include:

1) Where I'm at at the moment
2) Where I want to get to (goal)
3) Time period (time from now to exams- 11 weeks)
4) Splitting that time into different periods ie. revision, exam practise, progress checks
5) We'll make it a bit fun- I'll put fancy names for each place I want to be if that makes sense- to keep me in a good sense of mood when I go through this journey.

Being organised is so damn important, not time wasting but creating something vital you can refer to over and over- acts like a progress check. So you know where you stand. The worse thing is not knowing where you at, and to have a visual of that in my bedroom will be so very handy. So can't wait for tomorrow.

ReadySalted- Is this procrastinating? And some rambling towards the end * DISCLAIMER*

No. One reason being because its Friday tomorrow, meaning Friday prayers, meaning time wasted- getting ready and then going and back etc..
So what I hope to do is wake up super early- in time to get ready for Friday prayers super super early and then work on this thing I want to do. Rather than sleep in and wake in time and leave the house for prayers, come back and revise.
So essentially I'm about to beat the system ahahah but there are concerns as its 2am now and Im gonna wake up at half 5. Although I did get a hours sleep earlier, just cos I was so tired I jumped on the bed and got some kip. Then to realise, it'd been sleep for an hour- normally I wake up with a banging head and proper annoyed, but I was quite happy as I felt quite refreshed hehe.

I can't think of anything I need to say here apart from what I've said... erm.. erm.. erm... damn it I forgot.

Advise of the day I'd say is Don't runaway from the problems, its one of the only races you know you will never win. INSTEAD run over the problems. Damn you for running away from your problems! :wink: Make your problems learn never to mess with ya.

All the best revising peeps.

p.s daym I need to get some sleep if I want to wake up on time tomorrow, alright see ya'll in the next one.

Peace.
Oh sorry, forgot to say I found a present for mother's day. It was Celebrations chocolates, flowers and a scarf from New look. Just a side note, I found it so damn awkward walking into a women's shop (no man in sight) and checking out women's clothes. Damn it, it makes me sound like a weirdo.

My mum loved the scarf, normally I have to return stuff (hence why I hate shopping for women/for others with a passion like I bought my little sister clothes for her birthday in December, and had to return them- yeah.... they're in my cupboard. Don't ask why it's been nearly 3 months!) I hate shopping for myself too but at least I know what I like and know that I want the thing.

PS. Mum loved the gift, in fact she went out as I was downstairs I saw the tags and the labels ripped and on the floor ahahah.. I was like YES! But to the fact I'm not going back to return it ahah. But yeah she wears it all the time now, apparently its warm and stuff she can wear around her chest and stuff. Pretty decent buy. Big up New look. Giving me a new look on women's fashion sense... erm no that dont even make sense. Shut up now. .. alright then.. aahaha

Alright I'm off bye.

PEAAAYYYYCEE.
Oooh, read your first post and I'm doing the same subject combination as you! Out of interest what do you want to apply for?

This looks interesting *you've got urself an potentional stalker*

Also how the hell are you doing so much geography revision! I haven't touched this at all :lol:

(PS I did a mini GYG but laziness got the better of me XD )
Original post by Nettled
Oooh, read your first post and I'm doing the same subject combination as you! Out of interest what do you want to apply for?

This looks interesting *you've got urself an potentional stalker*

Also how the hell are you doing so much geography revision! I haven't touched this at all :lol:

(PS I did a mini GYG but laziness got the better of me XD )

Thanks Fam. Don't worry, I'm a semi-pro at stalking lol. Lol, let's just say experience is the best of teachers ahaha- you in Year 13? btw I'm on the last spec for Geography this year, you must be on the new one?

Lol, you do know I'm heading over to stalk your posts inabit. (Nettled be like damnn, quick delete aha)
Justt came across this thread :smile: I do maths chem and bio so kinda the similar subjects as you and same exam board for bio and chem :smile: Good luck on everything :smile: How are you revising now ?
Chem and Bio are going pretty good as can be expected lol. I'm not consistent with them tho. Atm I'm revising the topics and doing questions at the end before moving on. Wbu how you finding it? Time is flying.!
Original post by nisha.sri
Justt came across this thread :smile: I do maths chem and bio so kinda the similar subjects as you and same exam board for bio and chem :smile: Good luck on everything :smile: How are you revising now ?

damn it ahah the reply is below lol
Original post by ReadySalted28
Thanks Fam. Don't worry, I'm a semi-pro at stalking lol. Lol, let's just say experience is the best of teachers ahaha- you in Year 13? btw I'm on the last spec for Geography this year, you must be on the new one?

Lol, you do know I'm heading over to stalk your posts inabit. (Nettled be like damnn, quick delete aha)

Wanna take lessons from the master :wink:

Jks

Did you neglect geography last year?

Yea, I'm in yr 13 and actually old spec because im also resitting. Wat exam board are you with for geog?

You'd see my shambolic flop of an GYG *hides in embarssment*
Chem and Bio are going pretty good as can be expected lol. I'm not consistent with them tho. Atm I'm revising the topics and doing questions at the end before moving on. Wbu how you finding it? Time is flying.!

Haha yesssss time is runniiingggggg :frown: Yeh im revising and then here and there i do past papers :smile:
Original post by Nettled
Wanna take lessons from the master :wink:

Jks

Did you neglect geography last year?

Yea, I'm in yr 13 and actually old spec because im also resitting. Wat exam board are you with for geog?

You'd see my shambolic flop of an GYG *hides in embarssment*

Oh sh** sorry, completely blanked you in the last message. I've applied for Biomed Science. Damn, I'm pretty shook rn to think if I was your master, you'd stick some thorns in me and wave a few nettles in my face. Hahah.

Yeah geography last year was neglected :cry: This year I've changed one of the topics I want to do - I'm doing Contemporary conflicts- it's so interesting, I kinda like it. I love learning about int. conflict and when I found out it was a choice, instantly dropped the other boring one.

I'm doing AQA- It's the last year. Pretty exciting huh.! Don't worry, post on my thread, If we end up winning the Mac- We'll cut it in half aha lol

What exam board you doing?
(edited 6 years ago)

Road-Map

So I have finally made the road-map I was talking about. I'd say it's a timetable to an extent.

So what I've done is created a timeline with dates and topics on there clearly showing how long I'll spend working on a unit (not hours wise, but days). So harder units I need more help on, I will spend more days working on it and topics that are not that difficult/or are short -> I will spend fewer time working on.

The time I spend on it will be all inclusive- so once I'm happy revising on it, I will start practising exam questions etc..
I have also taken into consideration the weeks are leading upto my exam- so essentially this is me working towards the bottom, #goal. So it's a timeline to the exam.

I have added review periods where I look back at my previous work.

I've done this for Bio, Chem and Geog--> and have priorities the more difficult topics at the top, so the further down I go- the easier it gets. I didn't get to complete it on Friday, I did it today- but I took me quite some time (practically the 3/4 day..!)- So I decided I will miss today's revision and work tomorrow as the motivation was officially dead lol..

I also synced all 3 subjects together- so I'm working on each subject on days where I'm comfortable with and in accordance of the most appropriate topics on those days. For example, if I have a chunk of a Bio topic to revise on Tue as well as a hard topic on Chem on the same day- its pretty demotivating, so I have added topics on days where I know will complement each other well and I am able to complete.

Let's guess you messed up with this roadmap huh?

Yeah... so there's a wedding on the 15th April up north, I thought its a great road-trip to take the flashcards (as I now know I'm a visual learner.. which I will explain) out on (they ain't pets!). Although I'm sure I'll be dead by the end as the wedding is starting at 8pm in the evening- whaaaat? (yeah.. even I don't know). But I forgot and now I have revision on that day.. Just great! But its adjustable hopefully if I'm able to work, work and finish the topic before that day.

I found out what I am..

A salty TSR user? .. no. I'm a Visual learner. I don't know if that's a good thing as it means I need to dedicate more time on creating mind-maps and 'creative' picturey stuff. But when I did the test, I found it so interesting and they were so right with the stuff they said that described me.

What am I listening to?

Listening to Man down - Shakka. Shakka is a under-rated artist, he's music are so dope.

The weirdest things happened to me today!

1. I log into UCAS to see if there is any updates of any kind that I'm unaware of. First, I couldn't sign it saying 'password/username are incorrect' - I'm like ok maybe its me (even though I had the correct password written). I reset both username/password to login to find out nothing.. absolutely nothing on UCAS. No choices, no history, nothing. I froze and was like whaaaaaaaaaaat, my face be like oh sh**, I am dead. I got that sick, anxious feeling in my stomach.. like full on panicking. I quickly log out and try again, still the same stuff. Later on, I don't know how, but I got my stuff back. I was so worried, first thoughts were like 'thats it, that's me done. Not uni, no education. F*** it I'm not taking another gap year... Mcdonalds you got any jobs going? I was so thankful to have everything back. It's the weirdest feeling when something important just goes like.. man.

2. My TSR update (this) disappears. When I remember, I copy it just in case it shuts/disappears before I post. Funny thing is, I didn't get frustrated/disappointed when I thought it disappeared cos its happened so many times to me- I'm immune lol. Then I realise it was on another tab haha.

Anyway story time is done. You're free to go now aha. You have 3 choices. 1) Go sleep. 2) Revise. 3) Say “If you must cross a course cross cow across a crowded cow crossing, cross the cross coarse cow across the crowded cow crossing carefully.” If you're a legend and done it on the first try, comment #I'mALegend. If you couldn't do it, please go to a corner, face the wall and contemplate on life. :wink:

Thanks Guys, see you tomorrow.
Peace.
Oh forgot to mention. The calender I was talking about at the very beginning of this thread right? Yeah I have added the subjects on there- so instead of looking at the roadmap which looks hard to remember the dates, I look on the calender and then look on the roadmap to see what topic or unit I'll be doing on a specific day.

Just a little something for all you peeps who may think the roadmap looks confusing, lol photo is too zoomed doesn't do it justice.
Update time!

It's been a bad revision week. I've done no revision this week. I've been pretty busy (lazy).
-> Friends uncle dies- attend funeral and burial etc..
-> Hospital trips.. :/
-> Phone distractions
-> Internet distractions. .. yeah.

As I start to get back onto revision, I start a new series- PRISON BREAK- I hate prison break cos it's so damn good. It's production, plot, cliff-hangers .... damn it's so addicting. In a few days, I ended up finishing season 1.

So here's the score.

- Today I can watch as much as I want, no revision.

Tomorrow

A new day, stricter enforcements to take place.

Disciplinary:

Rule number 1: No more prison break episodes, until I can complete the topics I was meant to do last week -> catching up, coming back on track for my work. As well as, complete the tasks on my to do list.. and not throw the paper away mid-away during the day because I'm unable/ demotivated to complete it!

Only then, once I see fit- I am able to watch prison break, 1 episode a day, before going to sleep.

Rule number 2: Bye bye phone, Yeah that's right- the phone's getting the chop. No more whatsapp, snapchat, facebook... etc the list goes on. Only at night once I've completed my work I can review my phone/ or in- between revision times during breaks.

Rule number 3: No more computer, Computer is solely for revision purposes or music. No more youtubing, other things, and generally using any excuse to procrastinate.

Rule 4: Wake up at 05.30am every day- prep up for the day, pray etc, and be revising no later than 7am.

-----------------

'Have a little faith'- something gets said a lot in season 1, Prison Break. So, I'm having a little faith with my revision, even though I'm kinda nervous to find myself in the situation. But work hard and enjoy the fruits of your labour- I'm stealing that saying now. Expect to find it at the bottom of blogs hehe. Keep me a bit motivated! :>

Fun facts

-> AUS-> UK 19 hour non-stop flight landing successfully today in London Heathrow. First time non-stop from Australia. Pretty sik huh.

Come on, I got this. Remember, you gotta work hard, hard, hard so hard that the only thing you know for the next two months is exams + revision. Come on, we got this! For now, forget about the world and work on your revision and then after these exams you can chill as much as you want in the heat of the sun in Pakistan.

But work hard and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Motivation

(personal note)

Dont worry you can skip reading this blog today... o_O

Ok, so we working on revision now yeah. We gotta smash exams this year. This year is the last year for the Geog spec, the last year!!! Biology looks kinda hard right, but remember you have all the notes, knowledge all you need is to embed this in your mind (similar to what Michael does.. prison break lol). This includes mind-maps, revision cards, tons and tons of post-it notes. You know you're a visual learner, thinking back from last year I remember some of the stuff? Why? Cos I learnt I visually.. Now I can recall it. You gottta apply that in your revision and bro you can smash it. Revise and find order for the material for Bio. Remember you have Youtube videos and most importantly your notes to help you. Ok Chem. Chem is applying the knowledge, so work through the road-map, go through the topics you don't understand, once you get a grip try a few questions, and booom move on to the next topic. Remember although Bio is more knowledge based, Chem is more practise based. You gotta understand the formula, the structure of the in and outs of the Chem topics to then apply this knowledge. Ok back to Geog. For Geog, I know it sounds pretty tough, but learning the material/the revision bit is the easiest bit, but how to apply this on paper, how to create the best essay, that synoptic stuff the teacher banged on about. That's gold. Find a structure that works best for you, plan and structure your essays -> and go for it.

But remember, all the stuff I said above require work. Nothing in life is possible, without a little bit of work. Once you reach success, no one talks about how long it took to get there/ the best days, the worst days/ what they did. As long as you reach that, that's the bit that counts. Have a little faith. You will smash it. You can. But remember, it's about working hard, and once you reach that goal- only you, only you will know how hard you worked, no one will care how you worked. On paper, they will just care about that specific grade.

Just like when your on a marathon or a sprint, you dont stop halfway just cos you need water or its getting a little hot or your breathless. You go harder, you run faster, you block out the world and the cheering, the people around you. You just run to the finish line. Just run and run but never stop. Why? Cos there is a time for everything. And this is your time. Once this is gone, that's it. You can chill and have fun as much as you want later but this period from now till June, that working period, that production period will be gone. Halas. Done and dusted. There will be people cheering on Results day, there will be people crying on results day. You gotta win this race, come out 1st. Number 1.

Motivation:

Pakistan sounds lit asf. Tickets are all booked now. July soon come, family will start packing, getting ready, shopping literally every asian shop they know of in the whole of UK lol, but heres the thing- so will you too. Knowing you not only done well in them exams, but absolutely bloody smashed them, you will not give two craps about anything but simply having a good time, enjoying yourself cos you deserve it. Cos you worked so bloomin hard to absolutely get what you deserve. Whats yours. Then going to PK, boarding that plane- Shout-out to crappy PIA, although its S***- it's still carrying the flag for our beautiful country. Then have a proper lit weddings, lit to the max Visiting loads of places, celebrating eid there for the first time and just have a chill before Uni kicks in.

This is a time to prove yourself and others wrong who doubted you. Never underestimate your worth, you have a brain much like everyone else. It's how you decide to apply that thing is what will determine what you are. Smashing these exams will prove to others (not that I care) but to your self that mannn, that was all me, I knew I could do it and guess what I've just done it. Feeling more confident in myself, my self-esteem. Restoring self-worth.

Of course, buying myself an Armani watch - kinda expensive, but work hard and play hard. A Beats headphones- go on that plane, chilling in some decent headphones and jamming to some tunes. Ngl Apples headphones are corrupt asf- one earphone always stops working lol. Damn you Apple.

So if you think about it, imagine that huh so much lies on you passing and smashing these exams. Not in the sense of stress and pressure, but so much great things to come at the end of this, its just a matter to see if your man enough to pass this hurdle and not just do well this year but absolutely smash this years exams!!!!! But before that, you gotta work hard, hard, hard. Biggest advise is- focus on yourself alone. Don't look at what your friends are doing, feelin pretty worried they may have started papers and you havent. They're on a different path to a different goal to a different life. You are on a different path. Focus on yourself and smash these exams, your main, biggest priority right now. If you feel your not working hard enough, find out why and fix it as soon as possible. Much like when there is a pipe leak, people don't wait for the pipe to explode/flood, you get stuck in and find out where this leak is, and you stop it progressing any further.

Alright, feeeling much more motivated. We got this, let's do this. May the odds be in your favour *Shout out hunger gamesss*

(personal note)
Would love to see how you are revising during the easter :wink:
Original post by nisha.sri
Would love to see how you are revising during the easter :wink:

Updates soon come! :awesome:
Updates soon come! :awesome:

Ayyy :biggrin:

*slowly walks into the thread*

Hi.

I had a great idea, I thought why not create a weekly blog, so give a week blog update instead of a day update. Alright smarty pants fine. It's wifi issues man, it messes up our daily updates. Screw you BT! *disclaimer- this is not a paid sponsor by BT* I need to get back into the focus of updating each day you know. Starting tommorow don't worry, we got this.

ok the real truth.. I'll tell you why I haven't updated, so believe it or not, after revising- it takes me 40-60 minutes to blog, no word of lie. So instead since I started watching Prison Break, I can watch a whole damn episode of prison break instead. Imagine that huh. Gold dust.

Prison Break Vs. TSR

Oh boy. You gotta watch Prison break, I hate it cos it's so good. When you finish a episode, it's so tempting to watch another one (is it bad if I said I do watch another one..) Fear not though, this is outside revision time.

TSR users don't hate me man, I'm still one of you. But Prison Break is the new kid on the block.

Revision- related

Revision is going pretty well, I'm following the roadmap I created. Btw I haven't created a timetable cos I cannot work by it. Period. So this is pretty cool, because I try completing the topics on the dedicated days, some days I have struggled and done no work at all (suicide.. I know) or done little bit (still not enough) but I cover on the next day. It works out pretty well.

I've also got this new roll of transparent sticky paper. So I can stick a piece on the wall and basically write on the wall (basically transparent wall-paper). How cool is that? Yeah I've set up, can't wait to utilise it.

Struggles?

Chemistry mechanisms are a piece of ****. I can't remember them. I mean I get it, I need to UNDERSTAND the info, so I'm trying to focus on that as well as just read revision cards to solidify it after.

Advise for others

Some days I wake up not motivated at all. Lazy and just want to do anything beside revision, like cleaning my room yesterday. Yeah I even went to the shoes bit and changed it around a bit, got rid of old papers. I went all out. Don't get me wrong, the room was a little messy but let's be real its quite convenient it needed a clean when revision was about to begin. So I just want to let you guys know if your doing the same thing, procrastinating it's totally normal, don't get too worried and stress yourself out. Keep calm and collected and start working hard again. Everyone goes through it, but don't lose yourself and stick your head in the sand. Cos thats preparing to fail.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail- teacher used to preach this, like proper preach this @ school.

Spoiler

see y'all tomorrow.. :wink:

(edited 6 years ago)
Oh yeah.! forgot to say. Today's shout-out goes to @nisha.sri for bringing me back to this blog life.!!!!!

Bless up Nisha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending