Rennie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Right, well, we've been told we need to start thinking about our Extended Essays now and I've got a vague idea of what I want to do but I am at a loss.

I've contacted one of my tutors to ask him what he thinks, but he's new to the IB so I thought I would consult people who know!

So... I currently study:

HL Biology
HL Chemistry
HL English A1
HL Psychology
SL Spanish ab initio
SL Maths

I really want to do something in biology. I am interested in medicine and have an interest in livers specifically, but could not think of any sort of experiment that I could do in college.

I would be open to any kind of suggestion, it doesn't have to be about livers. Just a few sort of areas with the sort of thing I could look into would be helpful. That way it might spark an idea off in me.
22KT22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My friend did biology.. she grew bacteria in the petrie (sp?) dishes as control and then tested anti bacterial mouthwash to see which one got rid of most bacteria. you could do liver as a natural catalyst in experiements (not sure which one) but i spose that would be chemistry. sorry i did mine in psychology so im not much help. just research an idea you find interesting and speak to your teacher it can be on anything in biology.
andy_cole2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
statistically english is where students do best. do you need this for your uni application etc? science ones do ok but its not a subject naturally associated with essay writing so they're not on the whole as good.
Rennie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Well, I want to go into medicine or something similar so I thought that doing a science would be the best option for me.

But I considered doing history for mine. I got an A* in history at GCSE but did not take it this year. I figured, however, that having quite a good grade before in it should help me do okay for this. I didn't really want to do English. Just because I do a lot of essays about English in English and I think I'd rather do something else that interests me more. I used to love English, and I still do, it's just that I find writing about science more exciting.
andy_cole2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i got A* in history gcse and did history even though i didn't study it, worked my ass off + amazing tutor for it = an A grade. but that was just me, bio and chem are tough, if u go with it pick something with day to day relevance, like no measuing hcl effect on a lump of metal but something u can relate in your conclussion to something real.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (112)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (34)
20.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (22)
13.1%

Watched Threads