Universities selection for Investment Banking or Consultancy

Watch
yangcc328
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all

Recently I got offers from several universities.
How will you choose if you were me?
I plan to work in investment banking or consultancy after graduation...

The University of Edinburgh- MSc Finance
The University of Manchester- MSc Finance
Lancaster University- MSc Finance
The University of Nottingham, MSc Finance and Investment
The University of Warwick- MSc Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation
thatapanydude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yangcc328)
Hi all

Recently I got offers from several universities.
How will you choose if you were me?
I plan to work in investment banking or consultancy after graduation...

The University of Edinburgh- MSc Finance
The University of Manchester- MSc Finance
Lancaster University- MSc Finance
The University of Nottingham, MSc Finance and Investment
The University of Warwick- MSc Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation
Read this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4197597

Warwick > Nottingham = Edinburgh > Manchester >>>> Lancaster (Don't consider this uni)
yangcc328
Rep:
?
(Original post by thatapanydude)
Read this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4197597

Warwick > Nottingham = Edinburgh > Manchester >>>> Lancaster (Don't consider this uni)

Thank you for your reply...
But I'm still wondering why Edinburgh is equal to Nottingham. Because the entry requirements for Edinburgh MSc Finance is higher than Nottingham, so the students' ability should be better on average.
Don't know why Nottingham is still a semi-target for Investment Banking or Consultancy industry.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yangcc328)
Thank you for your reply...
But I'm still wondering why Edinburgh is equal to Nottingham. Because the entry requirements for Edinburgh MSc Finance is higher than Nottingham, so the students' ability should be better on average.
Don't know why Nottingham is still a semi-target for Investment Banking or Consultancy industry.
Entry requirements for a university's Masters program mean absolutely squat diddly in whether they're targeted by banks or not.

And honestly.. At the MSc level the only programmes worth going to for a boost to your prospects are at LSE, LBS, Oxbridge, Imperial College Business School, Cass, Warwick and the top european business schools (i.e. Bocconi, HEC Paris, St Gallen etc).

It's very rare for MSc students to come from other places and realistically, an MSc at a semi-target is just a way to get a chance at recruiting season again rather than a signficant boost to your CV. I guess it would help getting a decent uni name on there if your undergrad school is unheard of.. but apart from that, you're better off at a more top uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yangcc328
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
Entry requirements for a university's Masters program mean absolutely squat diddly in whether they're targeted by banks or not.

And honestly.. At the MSc level the only programmes worth going to for a boost to your prospects are at LSE, LBS, Oxbridge, Imperial College Business School, Cass, Warwick and the top european business schools (i.e. Bocconi, HEC Paris, St Gallen etc).

It's very rare for MSc students to come from other places and realistically, an MSc at a semi-target is just a way to get a chance at recruiting season again rather than a signficant boost to your CV. I guess it would help getting a decent uni name on there if your undergrad school is unheard of.. but apart from that, you're better off at a more top uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In fact I'm an international students from Taiwan and I graduated from top 3 university in Taiwan.

For me, I hope this MSc degree can help me better to find a decent job in Asia (China, Singapore, Korea, Japan...)
And I found that Warwick Business School seems to be very prestigious in UK(especially for Investment Banking or Consultancy), while in Asia Edinburgh seems more famous and well-known.

I know it's still depends on my ability, overall CV profile and interview performance. But it is still hard for me to choose between Edinburgh and Warwick.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.71%
Uncertainty around my education (83)
11.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (76)
10.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (92)
12.81%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.71%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (77)
10.72%
Financial worries (47)
6.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (43)
5.99%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (69)
9.61%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (56)
7.8%

Watched Threads