The Student Room Group

Does failing a module affect applying to masters?

I am a first year student studying classics at UCL. I am now struggling with one of my modules which requires two pieces of essays. I got one essay with a high 2:1, but I was experiencing a mentality breakdown, time management problems and family problems when writing the another one in the past few weeks. I submitted the essay so late that it was capped at the pass mark, and it was hugely under the word limit (for 500 words). I don’t believe I am incapable since I have been done pretty well in other modules, it is just these few weeks that have been hard and peculiar. I can legitimately forego that module since UCL only take 3 out of 4 course units into account. I would like to know, if I fail and retake it, does that affect my master application to other places (e.g. lse and Cambridge) provided that I got a first in the end? Will that hamper my career by much? Thank you!
Original post by Freiiiiiii
I am a first year student studying classics at UCL. I am now struggling with one of my modules which requires two pieces of essays. I got one essay with a high 2:1, but I was experiencing a mentality breakdown, time management problems and family problems when writing the another one in the past few weeks. I submitted the essay so late that it was capped at the pass mark, and it was hugely under the word limit (for 500 words). I don’t believe I am incapable since I have been done pretty well in other modules, it is just these few weeks that have been hard and peculiar. I can legitimately forego that module since UCL only take 3 out of 4 course units into account. I would like to know, if I fail and retake it, does that affect my master application to other places (e.g. lse and Cambridge) provided that I got a first in the end? Will that hamper my career by much? Thank you!

Hopefully you got a doctors note and submitted an extenuating circumstances claim? When applying for your masters then you an get your referee to refer or just make an informal enquiry as to how they would like it presented i.e an extenuating circ form. If all your other grades are good, then your application will be strong as they look at all aspects. You also have the advantage it is only first year.

Sorry didnt see you were working on the basis you have a first, then I doubt it, especially for a masters. You would probably have an amazing reference by then so I wouldnt worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending