Why do really bright students get rejected from universities? Watch

alevelstudentttt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I was watching a video from Unjaded Jade where she said that she was rejected from Oxford university. She got all A*'s at GCSE and was predicted all A's at A level too. As well as his she did ncs, Duke of Edinburgh and was the head girl at her school. HOW did she get rejected? How do people so bright get rejected from these universities? I don't understand. It makes me even more anxious for when I will be applying for universities (I won't apply for Oxford but I'm still scared.)
CaraStudying
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by alevelstudentttt)
I was watching a video from Unjaded Jade where she said that she was rejected from Oxford university. She got all A*'s at GCSE and was predicted all A's at A level too. As well as his she did ncs, Duke of Edinburgh and was the head girl at her school. HOW did she get rejected? How do people so bright get rejected from these universities? I don't understand. It makes me even more anxious for when I will be applying for universities (I won't apply for Oxford but I'm still scared.)
I just got rejected from Cambridge, 7 A*s 4 As at GCSE, predicted A*A*A*A at A level. Everyone who applies to Oxford or Cambridge is extremely bright and it’s very difficult to know why people get rejected. Everyone expected me to get in but I got rejected. The process is so long as well with so many different aspects to take into account that there’s no way you can say that it was this exact point. Oxbridge is extremely oversubscribed and they can’t possibly take everyone, so people who would do really well there do get rejected simply because there’s not enough space and there may be some people who are marginally better or the uni haven’t seen the full picture of a person.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Someboady
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I was rejected from Oxford and I got 6A*s and 5A's at GCSE at and underperforming school and I was rejected despite being predicted 5 A*s.

I subsequently achieved A*A*A*A*A at A-level at another underperforming college.

Oxford if you're reading this... its your loss
I'm now studying at Imperial so I mean theres always a silver lining
eliza154
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Oxford wouldn't care about any of the NCS/DofE/head girl stuff because it's not related to her subject. maybe it was her interview/assessments
Pigster
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
If 100 people with straight A*s at GCSE and straight A* predictions apply for a course with 10 places, 90 people will get rejected. That's why. Simples.

Worse than this, IMO. I know of a uni who have rejected all applicants who applied this year as they had sufficient people who got the grades last year but took a gap year. The uni still advertised their course and accepted applications knowing that all their places were already taken and that they would reject everyone! Essentially wasting one of the five UCAS spaces.
eliza154
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Pigster)
If 100 people with straight A*s at GCSE and straight A* predictions apply for a course with 10 places, 90 people will get rejected. That's why. Simples.

Worse than this, IMO. I know of a uni who have rejected all applicants who applied this year as they had sufficient people who got the grades last year but took a gap year. The uni still advertised their course and accepted applications knowing that all their places were already taken and that they would reject everyone! Essentially wasting one of the five UCAS spaces.
that's so bad! do you not want to say which uni it was?
xxxtentaci0n
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I guess there is more to it than education, me and my friends all applied to RG unis and we had similar grades but not all of them made it
Where as the ones that did (including me) were very active outside our academic lives
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Maybe the interview didn’t go as well as it was supposed to. I think high achieving students tend to apply to universities with higher requirements, putting themselves in a little riskier position. But why shouldn’t you apply if you meet the minimum requirement grades? I think as long as you meet minimum grades you should apply to top unis. Grades aren’t everything at the end of the day, remember you have personal statements, work experience and possibly interviews/portfolios to give in. A smart student is more than a bunch of grades on a paper and although some students may be academically capable they may not be well rounded individuals.
iodo345
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Too many people get a* at GCSE and A level now so it doesn't really mean much when people get full ums.
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I got 4A*s, 5As, 3Bs at GCSE and AAC at A Level and got offers from 5 Russel Group universities
arizonaidiot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
because they are actually dark,not bright
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
All As at A level is not very competitive at all for Oxbridge...
the_queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I have been rejected from Oxford with 5A*s at A Level.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Most people (except Medics) get 4+ out of 5 offers. Even "really bright" ones.

For Oxbridge, "ncs, Duke of Edinburgh and was the head girl at her school" aren't important. But admissions assessments/tests, submitted work, the interview(s), etc all are.

If you are on target to achieve the typical requirement at Cambridge or Oxford, and you like the course, you really could consider applying. Plenty of anxious, but capable, applicants *do* get offers and it would just be 1 of your 5 UCAS choices.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Having good grades will get you a lot further at some universities than others. Someone with all A*s and As at GCSE and A level is pretty much guaranteed an offer from somewhere, and has a good chance of getting into the top universities. However, Oxbridge base their decisions mostly on subjective factors, like your 'thinking style' and how well they think the tutorial system would suit you. Exams don't really prepare you for that, so having good grades won't necessarily translate into good performance at interview or in admissions tests.
mayur patel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Oxbridge based their decision over how have you changed over the years with education. I know a friend who got bad gcse grades due to extentuanting circumstances and performed good over a levels and and openly answers about his gcse grades at interviews. He got an unconditional offer at last.
_NMcC_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
They simply don't have enough places to take every full-A* pupil in the UK. So they look for people who can geniunely think deeper under the pressure of another person (which is often the way in scientific and academic work).

A lot of people can think deep and solve problems in their own space just fine but can't do it under pressure or can't discuss their ideas with another person. That's how they separate the students out. It's finding the combination of intelligence and communication skills.

So you don't need to be a genius but you do need to be able to communicate.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
obviously not that bright
Medrat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I actually think that the question should be, "Why do students with lower aptitude test and other scores get places over higher scoring people?". There's a lot more to getting a place than meets the eye. I wonder if future generations will stop applying to Oxbridge because of the unpredictability of the process? I applied for Medicine and didn't get an interview whereas many people with lower scores on all fronts including the aptitude test got not only interviews but a place. I'd certainly expect people with higher scores to succeed over me (that's a meritocracy) but not with lower scores. What's all that about? Other unis are a lot more transparent. I have told my siblings not to bother applying (straight A students). A wasted application.
Bham369
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It's good being smart on paper but you need to be able to talk the talk and walk the walk too. Maybe they mess up at interview?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.83%
No (498)
72.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed