Pork and Beans
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi! I'm in year 12 studying for further maths. I've already done C1, C2 and S1, and in May I'll be doing M1, D1, C3 and either C4 or S2.

The head of maths at my school wanted me to do S2 in May (so it'll be at the same time as his statistics class (I'm in the mechanics class (yay brackets!))), but I said it might be better to do C4 instead, so that I can put on my UCAS form that I've done A2 maths.

So, two questions:
1: Is having 7 modules but not C4 (meaning no A2) not as good as having 7 modules including C4, or are they just as good? (hopefully that made sense )

2: In your opinion, which is better: C4 or S2?

Thanks
ben_walker446
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
C4
Kashya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
C4.
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
S2 is known as a 'cheap' module... easy to get marks, along with S1 and D1.
Barry Scott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends really, S2 is easier than C4 but if you want to have it on your UCAS to show a full A-Level you could do that. But, then again, you may want to mix and match your additional modules in year 2 so you can put the higher marks in with FP1-3/4 so you can get an A more easily. That's what somebody in my year is doing
Pork and Beans
Rep:
?
So universities would prefer C4 over S2?

Thanks
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DanielJBaker)
So universities would prefer C4 over S2?

Thanks
undoubtedly. They only like 1 statistics unit in a maths A level anyway, I checked (as I almost applied for maths at oxbridge). Only if you do further maths is S2 ok, really. M2 is more preferable than S2, though.
Barry Scott
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Greatleysteg)
undoubtedly. They only like 1 statistics unit in a maths A level anyway, I checked (as I almost applied for maths at oxbridge). Only if you do further maths is S2 ok, really. M2 is more preferable than S2, though.
Well it depends, I asked at some of my unis when applying for economics and they said S1/S2 was better than S1/D1 or S1/M1 because statistics makes up a large part of economics and econonometrics. Thats why im doing (well, done them now) S1/S2 for A-Level Maths.
Pork and Beans
Rep:
?
Well I'm going to be doing S1-2 and M1-2 eventually anyway. I'm just wondering whether C4 or S2 would be better to put down as already done on UCAS.
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by matt54)
Well it depends, I asked at some of my unis when applying for economics and they said S1/S2 was better than S1/D1 or S1/M1 because statistics makes up a large part of economics and econonometrics. Thats why im doing (well, done them now) S1/S2 for A-Level Maths.
yeah I agree with what you said about economics, but I said they only like one stats module for maths which is what I know from personal experience.

OP, you're really lucky to have been able to be taking maths early... *curses stupid comprehensive schools* my school doesn't let anyone take anything early, or let anyone move up a year *wishes he'd gone somewhere where it's possible* - it was all I could do to get them to enter me for German GCSE when I proved to them I'd been teaching it to myself.
Make sure you don't waste this really good opportunity. I'd think that with a 95 in core 1, easy as it is, taken very early, you'd be ultimately aiming for Oxbridge/London or a good maths uni like Warwick.

If you enjoy pure maths and are a natural mathematician, you might even find core 4 easier than stats 2, which is just computation and number crunching (I found core 3 more interesting, and therefore easier, than stats).
username21537
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do C$ over S2, but if possible, why not just do S2 as well?
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mr_jr)
Do C$ over S2, but if possible, why not just do S2 as well?
he is doing both, he just wondered which he should do in June, as if he does c4, he'll have done a full maths A Level, but if not, he won't, as he'll only have 3 regular pure modules and 4 applied.
jobo3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Deffo do C4, it isn't much different to C3 anyway, just a few extra rules.

Plus it'll help you more if you have any admission tests to do than S2 would.
Trevor 12345
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It will make no difference whatsoever to your application.

One advantage that doing the C4 module could give you though is that you would be better prepared for the AEA at the end of Y12.
I timetable C1-C4, M1,S1 + AEA in Y12
FP1-FP3,M2,M3,S2 + optionally STEP2/3 In Y13

For the reasons mentioned in a previous post, we do not Cash in Any A-level modules in Y12.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
21.74%
No (36)
78.26%

Watched Threads