munkysox
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I got an offer from Cambridge yesterday but my boyfriend didn't. We've been together for a year and a half and it's really hit him hard. He has an offer from ICL and I have one from UCL, and he's from a tiny village so is daunted about living in a big city alone. The offers I have are: Cambridge A*AA (not sure if I can get it) or UCL ABB. Where should I go?
Barbecuetime123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by munkysox)
So I got an offer from Cambridge yesterday but my boyfriend didn't. We've been together for a year and a half and it's really hit him hard. He has an offer from ICL and I have one from UCL, and he's from a tiny village so is daunted about living in a big city alone. The offers I have are: Cambridge A*AA (not sure if I can get it) or UCL ABB. Where should I go?
Cam hands down - what if you split up the second you get to UCL - then you're stuck there.

You have to be selfish in life.
G1na
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Where do you want to go?
At the end of the day, studying a course at uni will last a couple years but the degree will last a lifetime. You want to get the best grade out of it as possible and not regret your decision in the future.
madmadmax321
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you and your boyfriend werent together where would you want to go? the answer to that is where you should go
dutchstudent123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Omg why would you ever turn down a Cambridge offer? Does that actually happen??
munkysox
Rep:
?
I wanted to go to Cambridge, but I think my relationship matters more to me than universities and degrees and stuff
chance23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cam firm, and UCL back up.

Your boyfriend will hopefully eventually understand- and if he doesn't then that should make things more clear for you.

I know it may sound like a harsh thing to do, but if it was the other way round what would he do? You need to think, 5/10 years down the line when you look back, you don't want to regret making a decision based on someone else when really you need to think about yourself.

I know it may sound harsh, but just being honest. Good luck with your decision and well done on the offers!
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please please please go to Cambridge. This is for your future.

What would have happened if it was the other way around, would he give up studying at cambridge to be with you in London? Think about it.

What happens if you go to UCL and then break up? Would you regret being there?

Do not mess this up for yourself. London to Cambridge is about 45 mins on the train, so it will be easy to see each other.

Make the right decision. Good luck.
munkysox
Rep:
?
I think I might accept Cambridge- it's just really difficult when we've been together so long and helped each other through some tough times. I feel like if I do go to Cambridge it will probably result in us splitting up...
Nana_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't jeopardise your future and studies for love. Relationships don't last forever, what if a break up comes along the way?
Your boyfriend on the other hand should be focused about your happiness and success rather than being rejected from Cambridge. You don't go to universities to be in love or spend time together, you got here to enhance your knowledge and get education. And I think we both know that Cambridge will offer you better, even though UCL is top on its own.

I hope you come to your senses and realise that there's more to life than a relationship especially if you're young at 18(I assume).

Edit: Also he's daunted to live in a big city coming from a small village? Is the only reason for you wanting to go to UCL with him is so that you can babysit him around until he feels good enough to venture on his own? Give me a break.
nutz99
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wanted to go to Cambridge, but I think my relationship matters more to me than universities and degrees and stuff
That comment alone suggests you are not right for Cambridge.
Snufkin
Report 1 year ago
If you want to go to Cambridge, go. It's not that far from London by train and the terms are fairly short so you can see your boyfriend often. Let's be honest, even if you do go to UCL, he probably won't be your boyfriend by the time you graduate, so why plan your life around him?

(Original post by dutchstudent123)
Omg why would you ever turn down a Cambridge offer? Does that actually happen??
Yes it does happen - turning down Cambridge is fine if you don't want to go there or prefer another university/course.
chance23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think I might accept Cambridge- it's just really difficult when we've been together so long and helped each other through some tough times. I feel like if I do go to Cambridge it will probably result in us splitting up...
If it's meant to be, it will be.

I know couples who've survived going to different unis (about 3 hours apart) and are still together 5 years later. I also have a friend who went to same uni city as her bf and they eventually broke up.

So the fact that you both will only be a short train journey away should be seen as a positive for you.

Go for Cambridge, don't let your fear of breaking up stop you from taking amazing opportunity.
munkysox
Rep:
?
Okay, I've decided go for Cambridge with UCL as a back-up, even though it feels a bit selfish. I just hope we can stay together or I'll be happy without him. Thank you all for your advice
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, I've decided go for Cambridge with UCL as a back-up, even though it feels a bit selfish. I just hope we can stay together or I'll be happy without him. Thank you all for your advice
Good decision. If your relationship is strong enough the temporary separations will be fine. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
merlynnn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if he splits with you because he wanted to drag you down with him, **** him
AmmarTa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge is honestly the better university, it'll shape your entire life.
madmadmax321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by merlynnn)
if he splits with you because he wanted to drag you down with him, **** him
I mean that probably wouldnt be the reason though would it, it'd just be because he didnt want a long distance relationship which is good enough reason
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.28%
No (175)
34.11%

Watched Threads