The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage wants a second EU Referendum

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-nigel-farage-second-referendum-eu-membership-wright-stuff-video-ukip-maybe-leader-a8153106.html

Nigel Farage says he wants a second EU referendum to kill the issue off and to stop the 'moaning' of politicians.

What are your thoughts?

What do you make of this? Should there be a second vote? Would you vote differently?

Scroll to see replies

Why can't he piss off.....
Reply 2
Original post by JMR2018
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-nigel-farage-second-referendum-eu-membership-wright-stuff-video-ukip-maybe-leader-a8153106.html

Nigel Farage says he wants a second EU referendum to kill the issue off and to stop the 'moaning' of politicians.

What are your thoughts?

He's upset he's not getting on TV anymore.
Ex-UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said that it may be time to hold a second Brexit referendum. He said that this may put an end to the "moaning" politicians who haven't accepted the result of the previous vote.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Should there be a second vote? Would you vote differently?
But no, I would not support a second EU referendum, what will it become, a best of 3?
no. the decision has been taken to throw our country to the wolves. let's just get on with it.
Reply 6
Perhaps he's realised his MEP salary is about to dry up, so he wants a second referendum so he's got a chance to continue milking money off the taxpayer for doing nothing. :beard:
Reply 7
If there was (do not want) another referendum I would still happily vote 'Leave'.
Why are people still giving that irrelevant man attention?
He's cocky and desperate for attention. Would love it if he got his second referendum and it came down heavily to remain. His tantrum would be a glorious spectacle
I supported Leave but would now reluctantly vote to Remain having reconsidered my priorities (I used to care about immigration a lot more and wasn't so clued-up on the economic benefits of being in the EU). That said, I don't think there should be a second referendum - I worry that it would effectively send a message to the half the country that voted Leave that the victory their vote contributed towards didn't mean anything, and would thereby undermine confidence in democracy, which is ultimately more dangerous than leaving the EU.
Original post by Dez
Perhaps he's realised his MEP salary is about to dry up, so he wants a second referendum so he's got a chance to continue milking money off the taxpayer for doing nothing. :beard:

Or perhaps he can't wait to get out to end the arbritary fines of tens of thousands imposed by the EU on eurosceptic MEPs.

You're right MEPs do nothing meaningful except give speeches, because of course in the EU nobody elected would be able to make legislation. Thank goodness the taxpayer will save £10bn a year from Brexit which Nigel Farage and others campaigned so tirelessly for.

It's interesting all the users with a TSR job/position giving a view here except the OP are anti-Brexit, anti-Farage, and all going for the man instead of the ball. Maybe I should use an unbiased debate forum...
Probably wants to keep his cushy EU parliament job.
Except the story doesn't say he wants a second vote, rather that he thinks it might be a way to kill off the whinging from remainer-politicians.
Reply 14
Original post by JMR2018
But no, I would not support a second EU referendum, what will it become, a best of 3?

Why not? Should people not be allowed to either reaffirm or bin their original decision when more facts are known on the matter?
Original post by Napp
Why not? Should people not be allowed to either reaffirm or bin their original decision when more facts are known on the matter?

Would you have supported a second referendum if Remain won by 52-48?
Reply 16
Original post by JMR2018
Would you have supported a second referendum if Remain won by 52-48?

In principle yes but otherwise no. Either way I am a firm proponent of a supermajority in a vote of such national consequence. After all Brexit cant just be undone once it has been executed.
Original post by Drewski
He's upset he's not getting on TV anymore.

:lol: Yes.

Also I suspect he's actually quite worried about the Blair campaign - Blair got a huge amount of airtime over the last few weeks and the message, why not put it to another vote now that we know more, is a simple and convincing one.

I don't share Farage's conviction that the Brexiteeers would sail to an even bigger win. People are definitely waking up to the full implications now. This is a strategic error by Farage, but good news for us Remainers.
He wanted a second referendum when he thought Leave had lost, then he didn't want a second referendum, now he does again because the government is moving (slowly) away from the hardest type of Brexit. :rofl:
Original post by Napp
In principle yes but otherwise no. Either way I am a firm proponent of a supermajority in a vote of such national consequence. After all Brexit cant just be undone once it has been executed.

It should most definitely require a 60% majority and a minimum 50% national turnout. Whoever heard of such a decisive national decision being down (potentially) to a single vote?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending