Hey, hope someone can help clarify something, I got an offer:

The conditions of the offer are:

This offer is subject to you obtaining

GCE A level
Grades ABB

Alternative conditions

GCE A level
Grades AAC
and this is from sussex, currently one of my top choices, now the problem is, I did general studies full A2 in the first AS year (last june), got an A for it, and since sussex claim they accept general studies, I'm happy that now I only need two more B's out of my 3 other A2 subjects to get in right since I already have an A?

The problem is, I just read the fine print on the UCAS site beneath the offer, added by ucas and not by the uni, and it says:

If your offer is conditional you must achieve what the university or college requires to gain the place offered. If the conditions are shown as grades, marks or completion of current course then your offer refers only to qualifications you are currently taking. Qualifications you listed as completed on your application cannot be used to meet these conditions.
Now this would be fine if I were finishing the General Studies A2 this year and got an A, but I already put it down as completed in my application, so according to the last line...I'm not allowed to use it? Which has screwed me right over now, because I'm currently on AAC, but since getting the offer have practically stopped caring about maths (the C) because it's just so boring, and had thought I didnt need it for my offer, was going to drop it completely had there not only been a few months left of it...so I'm probably on course for a D a best in that, which really puts my offer out of reach even if I get the A's in the other two (Geog and Econ).

Can someone help clarify this...is it just the university and ucas not running on the same guidelines or is the univeristy genuinely asking for a further 3 A2's at AAC and ignoring my General Studies which they are meant to include, or would my offer have been just BB if they had already included it?
Barry Scott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
did you cash in your general studies? If you did, then this offer excludes it.
Kashya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Phone Sussex.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, you need to phone the Uni just to double check but it does sound like in your case they are not including the general studies from last year.
Report 11 years ago
Most Uni's dont accept general studies as an As, so its going to be very unlikely that they accept it as a full A-level!!
IChem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you didn't actually certificate the qualifaction it should be alright.
Midnight-Soul
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm fairly certain Sussex does accept it, it doesn't say excluding general studies either on the course info on ucas search, or in the offer itself, which it usually does, and it says it does on the uni website. And no, unless my school cashed it in I havnt certified it, I mean I havnt had a certificate yet so I guess that means it hasnt, though I'm not sure on the process of cashing in points, when it happens n who does it.

The problem is, whether or not I cashed them in, there was still an A in the Grade achieved area for the subject, implying it's completed, so unless the uni checks whether you've cashed it in or not then I'm not sure whether they would know otherwise and therefore make a difference to the situation.
Midnight-Soul
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
OK, logically, surely they'd put 'excluding general studies' if they didn't want it from someone who was applying with it, they wouldn't leave it this unclear... If they don't accept it, looks like I won't be going to uni then, meh I wasn't fussed about going anyways :P.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads