The Student Room Group

Fashion Design & Fashion Illustration in university

Hello, I went to open days at Norwich uni and Ravensbourne uni. So far and I discovered that they only do in NUA - BA (HONS) Fashion and in Ravensbourne BA (HONS) Fashion too, but they don't do the course - fashion illustration. The tutor of the course asked us if we had any questions so I said that I'm not really that good/confident on the making side so would I be aloud just to illustrate the clothing but then he said you would need to make the clothes too. He then suggested for me to do - fashion promotion because it involves fashion illustration but I wouldn't want to take a different path I just want to design clothes for companies so what course would be more appropriate for me? I'm guessing you all would say fashion illustration so can you list me some art universities that do fashion illustration please? maybe I'm over thinking this and should just go into fashion design (Fashion BA) so I can learn in year 1 how to make garments and maybe I'll love the making side? I just don't wanna pay 9 grand to get into the course and figure out that the course isn't for me.. any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply 1
I didn't find many courses that went along the name of "Fashion Illustration", but here are some courses I found that may intrigue you.

1. http://www.arts.ac.uk/fashion/courses/undergraduate/ba-fashion-illustration/
2. http://www.arts.ac.uk/fashion/courses/short-courses/fashion-design-courses/fashion-drawing-illustration-course/
3. https://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/fashion-graphics-ba
4. https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/courses/fashion-communication-ba-hons-uusfhc1/#
5. http://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/fashion-image-making-and-styling
6. https://aub.ac.uk/courses/ba/fashion-branding-and-communication/

Maybe drawing courses would link into the stuff you wish to do? Not sure. Sorry but hope this helps.

Original post by laura_morse
Hello, I went to open days at Norwich uni and Ravensbourne uni. So far and I discovered that they only do in NUA - BA (HONS) Fashion and in Ravensbourne BA (HONS) Fashion too, but they don't do the course - fashion illustration. The tutor of the course asked us if we had any questions so I said that I'm not really that good/confident on the making side so would I be aloud just to illustrate the clothing but then he said you would need to make the clothes too. He then suggested for me to do - fashion promotion because it involves fashion illustration but I wouldn't want to take a different path I just want to design clothes for companies so what course would be more appropriate for me? I'm guessing you all would say fashion illustration so can you list me some art universities that do fashion illustration please? maybe I'm over thinking this and should just go into fashion design (Fashion BA) so I can learn in year 1 how to make garments and maybe I'll love the making side? I just don't wanna pay 9 grand to get into the course and figure out that the course isn't for me.. any suggestions? Thanks.
Reply 2
Thank you so much, those links really helped me I got told that you can choose up to 4 courses on UCAS so I can put some of them down and also by reading the course description seeing what course I like the most but now at least I know I don't have to just take fashion, as theirs so many other names/courses under fashion. Now this has given me a clearer mind about what I want to study. Thanks again!
Reply 3
Thank you so much, those links really helped me I got told that you can choose up to 4 courses on UCAS so I can put some of them down and also by reading the course description seeing what course I like the most but now at least I know I don't have to just take fashion, as theirs so many other names/courses under fashion. Now this has given me a clearer mind about what I want to study. Thanks again!

You're welcome, you can choose 5 choices for £24 but after that you would have to pay extra for more choices.
Reply 4
If I choose 5 courses how would I know what course is really the course for me would I judge it by the interviews and see what I get/if I get in? But that would be a lot of interviews and uni's to attend?! Sorry I don't really get it but thanks for telling me that, I didn't know that.
Reply 5
If I choose 5 courses how would I know what course is really the course for me would I judge it by the interviews and see what I get/if I get in? But that would be a lot of interviews and uni's to attend?! Sorry I don't really get it but thanks for telling me that, I didn't know that.

Well, you should be able to tell what uni/course is for you as if you get invited and attend you'll see what place you like the most, what accommodation you like the most, but most importantly what the uni facilities are like and if you enjoy the course. If you have your eye on one university that's fine but always keep an open mind on others in case you get rejected. Yes, it'd be a lot of interviews to attend but they should be worth it if you're applying to courses you like and interested in.
Reply 6
Sorry to bother you but altogether I applied to to the courses - fashion business promotion, fashion with business studies, fashion illustration, fashion design and fashion graphics altogether because I love the sound of all of the courses and I would rather see what one I get in the interviews (even though its going to be a lot to attend). I 'wish' there was fashion illustration and business course but I don't think there is but if there was I would just put that down on my UCAS. I'm fine if I just go for the fashion with business studies or the fashion illustration course because I'm sure when I leave university and start illustrating clothes for designers/companies they would happily make it for me (after paying them to do so ofc)
I just wanted to say thanks for telling me that you can choose up to 5 courses, I know it must be easy just to choose the one course and be done with but in this subject area there are so many courses under fashion and at the end of the day you can't choose them all lol.
Reply 7
Sorry to bother you but altogether I applied to to the courses - fashion business promotion, fashion with business studies, fashion illustration, fashion design and fashion graphics altogether because I love the sound of all of the courses and I would rather see what one I get in the interviews (even though its going to be a lot to attend). I 'wish' there was fashion illustration and business course but I don't think there is but if there was I would just put that down on my UCAS. I'm fine if I just go for the fashion with business studies or the fashion illustration course because I'm sure when I leave university and start illustrating clothes for designers/companies they would happily make it for me (after paying them to do so ofc)
I just wanted to say thanks for telling me that you can choose up to 5 courses, I know it must be easy just to choose the one course and be done with but in this subject area there are so many courses under fashion and at the end of the day you can't choose them all lol.

Happy for you! Yeah I guess traveling to all the interviews will be a pain but you'll get to see the uni's facilities and accommodation-pay attention to them the most usually art unis have better facilities. Also, check on the sites about what to include in the portfolios, some may ask for an online portfolio (I'm certain the fashion graphics course does).

Quick Reply

Latest