ashestostardust
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so I currently do geography at GCSE and I secretly love studying it. I just find both physical and human geography (especially human) very interesting. For my third A Level option I was pretty much decided on sociology instead but looking back over the specs, geography draws me in more. The uni courses I’ve been looking at (English Lit + Media or Sociology) don’t require sociology but if I was going to apply for them, would it be wise to do sociology instead of geography? As it stands, I have no desire to take geography further than A-Level. Furthermore, are there any pros to doing one over the other?
omarathon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do maths.
ashestostardust
Rep:
?
(Original post by omarathon)
Do maths.
No
KalliePenguin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I take both Geography and Sociology for A-level at the moment and I'm in my second year. I find them both super interesting and beneficial. They both help me with either course also because there are similar aspects in each (especially the human geography). I think it would help if you note what aspects of either you find most interesting and see what overlaps or see if either has more favourable aspects than the other.
Postgraduate study at NTU
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ashestostardust)
Okay so I currently do geography at GCSE and I secretly love studying it. I just find both physical and human geography (especially human) very interesting. For my third A Level option I was pretty much decided on sociology instead but looking back over the specs, geography draws me in more. The uni courses I’ve been looking at (English Lit + Media or Sociology) don’t require sociology but if I was going to apply for them, would it be wise to do sociology instead of geography? As it stands, I have no desire to take geography further than A-Level. Furthermore, are there any pros to doing one over the other?
Hi ashestostardust

If your university doesn't require you to study sociology beforehand then you may as well study geography as your 3rd A level - you enjoy it and will probably do well because of that!

If you're struggling to decide I would put it down to what is going to help you get to university the best.

I hope this helps, let me know what you choose!

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
choose whichever one you would enjoy more geography may be a good subject to study as it can help keep your options open but if you wish to study or are considering sociology for uni, maybe do it at a-level; it's possible that you don't need to study it at a level to study it at uni.
omarathon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No
It's better than a humanities subject... You're doing english lit + media studies so it would be good for a variety of A levels. Maths is very fascinating you should consider it
tastupee11
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From the sounds of that, I would do sociology if you're looking to go and study something to do with that at uni. I did both geography and sociology at A-level. Plus, in AQA sociology there is a topic about Globalisation and that includes quite a few aspects of human geography, but it depends on whether your school is doing that.
sureofit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do Geography at A-Level (and love it so much I applied to uni to read Geography!) and I have a couple of points to add

There is quite a lot of content (at least for Edexcel) so sometimes can be quite intensive creating case studies, but as long as you do that in advance it should be fine! There’s a lot of transferable skills e.g. essay writing, coursework etc. that will help you with uni.

Good luck!
ashestostardust
Rep:
?
(Original post by KalliePenguin)
I take both Geography and Sociology for A-level at the moment and I'm in my second year. I find them both super interesting and beneficial. They both help me with either course also because there are similar aspects in each (especially the human geography). I think it would help if you note what aspects of either you find most interesting and see what overlaps or see if either has more favourable aspects than the other.
Thank you for the reply!! I’ll definitely try it out!
lauren667
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am in my A2 year of A Level Geography and Sociology and honestly I love them both. They compliment each other so well and allow me to have a much wider scope, in terms of international processes and phenomena. I would advise you to try and take both. Sociology literally has blown me away and opened my eyes; I lot of my common-sense thoughts have been proved completely wrong. Geography I just love overall and plan to do a degree in it at University.

But ultimately, listen to your heart. A levels are death... the work load combined with a part time job, social life and UCAS/CV building activities are draining, so pick subjects that you think you might enjoy. It really takes the edge off of the pain when you actually enjoy a class.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (697)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (875)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.07%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.47%

Watched Threads