OCR GCSE History Paper 1 J410 4th Jun 2018 [Exam Discussion] Watch

Aimeepxxx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am studying Crime and punishment, Henry and his ministers, The Cold War and USA for this years History GCSE. Does anyone have any tips about revising for History effectively and how they tackle exam questions? I seem to know most of the information, I just need help improving ways in which I write them. I'm aiming for at least a grade 6 or above as I am desperate to continue doing History at A level. Please help!! Thank you!!
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aimeepxxx)
I am studying Crime and punishment, Henry and his ministers, The Cold War and USA for this years History GCSE. Does anyone have any tips about revising for History effectively and how they tackle exam questions? I seem to know most of the information, I just need help improving ways in which I write them. I'm aiming for at least a grade 6 or above as I am desperate to continue doing History at A level. Please help!! Thank you!!
Hey Aimee you sound like you are in a good place with your studies.

I'm assuming you are happy with your notes an that you have good revision books?

By the time you are in control of the core material , then its just a case of learning to do exams.

You do this by practising exam papers.
Presumably you have the spec and know the different exams.
If not download it. Ive had a look and cant decide on the exact code
Theres the new 9-1 spec to be first sat this year. J410 Explaining the moern world and J418 The modern world?

Anyway all you do is get all the past papers and mark schemes then just consistently practice answering them. I cant see precisely but one of the papers usual involves examining sources rather than just an essay, so you need the technique for that.

Essays in general you need to answer the question- and then compare to mark scheme.

If your knowledge is good, then what you need is more understanding into how to apply and how it fits together. A good way of doing this is by doing essay plans. By doing this you are focusing on structure and analysis upon which you can hang the facts you already know.

Keep doing a couple a day against the clock. 15-20 mins each.

Compare against the mark scheme.

Another way of revising will be to group question so you understand different ways of being asked to argue. To what extent, how far can it be said, the real reason etc etc. Its the same sort of essay argument just different facts.

Learn to answer the question and practice will help you focus on structure and analysis. You already seem to have cracked the hard part which is remembering those facts. Good luck. sorry if that rambled the syllabus got me confused.
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications.../gcse/history/
Evil Homer
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Good luck today for anyone taking the exam !
Evil Homer
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey guys, how did the exam go today?
Dirac_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hey guys, how did the exam go today?
The exam went quite well today
I studied Cold War and Germany
Evil Homer
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Dirac_)
The exam went quite well today I studied Cold War and Germany
oooh amazing, what questions came up?
Dirac_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
oooh amazing, what questions came up?
The paper was mainly on the Great Depression If memory serves me correct, with interpretation questions and life’s of women and those persecuted in Nazi Germany
schoolerxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dirac_)
The exam went quite well today I studied Cold War and Germany
Do you know what the 18 marker question was about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10.22%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.23%
No, but I want to start (133)
35.75%
No, I am unable to (84)
22.58%
No, I chose not to (105)
28.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise