The Student Room Group

Received interview from Brighton, parents won't let me go because it's far away...

Preface: I live in Newcastle. My mum is too busy working to pay attention to me and my dad doesn't care so I applied where I applied and now I am receiving interviews they're not happy. I just told my dad I have an interview with Brighton and he flew off it, screaming, swearing and insulting me and flat out said no. I already have one rejection and I kind of really need to go, has anyone got any advice?

I am paying for the travel and accommodation for my other interview in Kingston and my dad still wasn't happy. I am almost 19 and they won't let me go alone. I feel deflated honestly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I come from a poor family so money is the only issue since the trip to Kingston is quite a lot for us, can the university help with travel?
Reply 2
lol he just came in and told me he hopes I don't get into university. I wish I had supportive parents.
Original post by autistic
Preface: I live in Newcastle. My mum is too busy working to pay attention to me and my dad doesn't care so I applied where I applied and now I am receiving interviews they're not happy. I just told my dad I have an interview with Brighton and he flew off it, screaming, swearing and insulting me and flat out said no. I already have one rejection and I kind of really need to go, has anyone got any advice?

I am paying for the travel and accommodation for my other interview in Kingston and my dad still wasn't happy. I am almost 19 and they won't let me go alone. I feel deflated honestly.

Our head office is in Brighton and I can assure you that it's a really lovely and safe city. It's super easy to get to from London (under an hour on a direct train) so it wont be much difference from Kingston. It may feel far for your parents, but it's a really easy journey, Newcastle Central to King cross, jump on the tube to Victoria and then it's a direct train to Brighton. Lot's of my friends who grew up in Brighton went to uni in Newcastle and said the journey and distance really isn't that bad. There are also a few hotels near the station, like the ibis and jurys inn, both under a 5 min walk from the station, so they wont have to worry about you finding your way around the city. Brighton is also relatively small so you wont get lost and Brightonians are really friendly, easy going and approachable so if you do get lost, there will be lots of people to help you (not all southerns are unfriendly!).

I hope you parents are happy to let you go, but if you have any further questions, please let me know.
Really sorry to hear this. Please contact Brighton and frankly explain the situation. They may be able to help. Your father sounds pretty dreadful, if I speak to you honestly. Maybe you should speak to someone about his behaviour towards you.
I've only just seen about money to. It's worth contacting the uni directly.
It's also worth having a look at megabus and national express coaches to london and then getting the train from london to brighton. It will be a longer journey but might be quite a bit cheaper.
Reply 7
s
Original post by Danny Dorito
Our head office is in Brighton and I can assure you that it's a really lovely and safe city. It's super easy to get to from London (under an hour on a direct train) so it wont be much difference from Kingston. It may feel far for your parents, but it's a really easy journey, Newcastle Central to King cross, jump on the tube to Victoria and then it's a direct train to Brighton. Lot's of my friends who grew up in Brighton went to uni in Newcastle and said the journey and distance really isn't that bad. There are also a few hotels near the station, like the ibis and jurys inn, both under a 5 min walk from the station, so they wont have to worry about you finding your way around the city. Brighton is also relatively small so you wont get lost and Brightonians are really friendly, easy going and approachable so if you do get lost, there will be lots of people to help you (not all southerns are unfriendly!).

I hope you parents are happy to let you go, but if you have any further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for the quick response, it seems like a lovely area and I would love to go, the interview options I can select are kind of convenient too since my Kingston interview is on the 18th of Jan and there are interview spaces for Brighton on the 17th but it's just the money. Hopefully, I'll think of something.
Original post by Danny Dorito
I've only just seen about money to. It's worth contacting the uni directly.
It's also worth having a look at megabus and national express coaches to london and then getting the train from london to brighton. It will be a longer journey but might be quite a bit cheaper.

This is also a really excellent point, I've just looked at this for you OP. It looks like Megabus doesn't offer a direct service, but you could get it to London Victoria and then get a train to Brighton, coming back to London in the evening. Or, National Express does offer a service to Brighton. I looked on dates about 3 weeks from now and it worked out to be just over £50 return.
Reply 9
Original post by Paracosm
Really sorry to hear this. Please contact Brighton and frankly explain the situation. They may be able to help. Your father sounds pretty dreadful, if I speak to you honestly. Maybe you should speak to someone about his behaviour towards you.

Truly thank you it was comforting to read; it has been difficult doing this alone and it's just been more stressful actually getting replies from universities and having to tell my parents. Both my parents have diagnosed narcissists so I can't really do anything so university is my chance to move on in life. I will try and call them tomorrow, I am just unsure of how to bring about the conversation.
s

Thanks for the quick response, it seems like a lovely area and I would love to go, the interview options I can select are kind of convenient too since my Kingston interview is on the 18th of Jan and there are interview spaces for Brighton on the 17th but it's just the money. Hopefully, I'll think of something.

Ah that would be convenient as you would only have to pay for travel one way. Def check out mega bus.
Maybe give Brighton and Kingston a call and explain your situation, that you live in Newcastle and money is tight and they might be able to put you up in halls for a night (obviously I can't guarantee anything). If they can't do this, why don't you see if they'd be prepared to do a skype interview?
Reply 11
Original post by Paracosm
This is also a really excellent point, I've just looked at this for you OP. It looks like Megabus doesn't offer a direct service, but you could get it to London Victoria and then get a train to Brighton, coming back to London in the evening. Or, National Express does offer a service to Brighton. I looked on dates about 3 weeks from now and it worked out to be just over £50 return.

Ah that sounds more reasonable, I'll tell my dad and then book the interview, I suppose if he wants to come with me he will but that requires more money so I'll see. Thanks! WIll look up now :smile:
Truly thank you it was comforting to read; it has been difficult doing this alone and it's just been more stressful actually getting replies from universities and having to tell my parents. Both my parents have diagnosed narcissists so I can't really do anything so university is my chance to move on in life. I will try and call them tomorrow, I am just unsure of how to bring about the conversation.

Just be direct and tell them what you've told us. This must be very difficult for you and hopefully there will be a solution. :smile:
Wtf, how was that username not taken lol?

I'm so sorry that you didn't feel supported by your parents. Before your phone call, sit and think about what you want to say and right down some notes or a bullet point list of things you want or need to bring up, that way you won't feel overwhelmed.
Reply 15
I'm not sure that the university will have a fund to support applicant's travel costs but if you are keen on Brighton then you could explain your situation and ask them if you can have a Skype interview. What course are you applying for? I suppose it depends on whether they expect to see a portfolio, e.g. as for some art and design courses.

Story of my life. I hope something works out for you and tbh my parents are the same and Im also applying to brighton which is a trek so we will see how that goes down...
s

Ahhh what it is to have supportive parents. Ignore them its your money and sorry they arent letting you get on with it. You are old enough t make your own decisions.

Just to say I agree with Dannys good advice in #11.
Skype is also an excellent alternative.

Unis sometimes have a discretionary travel budget but it varies. No harm in asking. They might pay special interest due to the autism. Besides Megabus, then the three alternatives are

The coach with a coachcard. It says 11.5 hours on the coach.
prices one way im looking at are £17.40 without CC, so I think that could reduce to £11.50 with CC or £23 amendable (means you can change for a fee if you miss a coach). Theres also an overnight coach which sets off kust before midnight and you sleep all the way through or try and gets into Brighton at 9:30ish.

Lift share, but you have to be luck to get one for that distance.
https://liftshare.com/uk/community/faqs

Train but as far in advance as possible

You cannot afford to miss any connections or you would be seriously stranded.

Dont give in and am sure they will work out a solution. Dont antagonise your parents, just carry on with doing your own thing. Its really food you can see Kingston and Brighton in one trip. If you d skype then you can always visit another time. GL.
Reply 18
Original post by HH
I'm not sure that the university will have a fund to support applicant's travel costs but if you are keen on Brighton then you could explain your situation and ask them if you can have a Skype interview. What course are you applying for? I suppose it depends on whether they expect to see a portfolio, e.g. as for some art and design courses.

I am applying for pharmacy but the email said it would be a group interview.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
Story of my life. I hope something works out for you and tbh my parents are the same and Im also applying to brighton which is a trek so we will see how that goes down...

I hope you can sort it out too, I understand how it sucks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending