Tim00
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I am currently 24 and have been out of education for a while, working in mainly retail jobs which I have grown to really hate now. I never knew what I wanted to do when I picked my options so basically picked anything at the local college, I did sports and business. This year I really want to sort my career problems out and the issues of not really doing anything worthwhile.

But the more research I do and the more I find out about myself I could see myself working within healthcare but upon doing research into cardiac Physiology or that area requires basically a science A level/or some kind of science course. To be honest, I have not studied science since GCSE and that was pretty basic compared to any potential degree. I am gutted that I did not consider this path when I was younger, as now I would be 28 when coming out of university, which means I would be pretty poor financially up until then.

Could any see this being a possibility or do you think its too late and not really a viable option?
Beth286
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m not sure personally, I thought you would’ve had to do an a Level in atleast Biology and maybe chemistry. But I guess you could ask. Don’t let age put you off that’s the same as someone going to uni for a long period of time like medicine
1+5t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tim00)
Hi,

I am currently 24 and have been out of education for a while, working in mainly retail jobs which I have grown to really hate now. I never knew what I wanted to do when I picked my options so basically picked anything at the local college, I did sports and business. This year I really want to sort my career problems out and the issues of not really doing anything worthwhile.

But the more research I do and the more I find out about myself I could see myself working within healthcare but upon doing research into cardiac Physiology or that area requires basically a science A level/or some kind of science course. To be honest, I have not studied science since GCSE and that was pretty basic compared to any potential degree. I am gutted that I did not consider this path when I was younger, as now I would be 28 when coming out of university, which means I would be pretty poor financially up until then.

Could any see this being a possibility or do you think its too late and not really a viable option?
You can always do a Science Access course at your local college, ring up the unis which you wanna apply to and ask of theyll accept it.
JMorty97
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely not too late! Some hospitals will have vacancies for Healthcare Science Assistants/Cardiographers which are band 2 positions that can serve as an entry point to working in cardiac science. From there you would most likely receive training in basic diagnostic procedures (such as ECGs, fitting ambulatory monitors etc.) before being given the chance to sit the SCST certificate and diploma to allow you to work as a Healthcare Science Associate (band 4). If you do want to become a cardiac physiologist (Healthcare Science Practitioner) at band 5 then you'll probably have to study for the degree (Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)), however I know cardiology departments will often send staff to do the degree on a part-time basis as there's such a shortage of qualified physiologists.

While it may take a bit longer than it would if you went straight to study the degree, the benefit of this route is the additional clinical experience you'll receive in addition to a salary and most likely having your tuition fees paid by your employer. Definitely something to think about!
jamiejay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're never too old, and if you don't do it now you'll probably regret not giving it a go in a few years time.
Look into Access to Higher Education courses at colleges. They're aimed at 'mature' students, and are taught over a year with the aim to get you straight into uni. Science or Healthcare pathways would be perfect.
Search for "Healthcare Science (Cardiac Physiology)" degrees. These degrees are accredited by the HCPC, and include placements which means they're more efficient at getting into the job you ultimately want.
Zubeda patel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am 40s plus and I am a pharmacy technician, but I wanna change a career and after doing some research I got interested in cardiac physiology is it too late to start another career will you guys help me
Last edited by Zubeda patel; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (85)
31.72%
Less motivated (183)
68.28%

Watched Threads