Punkypunk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
His everyone! this is my first time using this site so I hope it gets to where it needs to be. 😜
I have my first ever interview at uni next week and I am feeling really nervous about the individual interview. I am trying to prepare, but no idea on what sort of questions I'll be asked. I have applied for mental health nursing. I really want to get it right, I'm 30 years old and have 3 children. I have only applied to this one uni, so it's my only hope of achieving my dream.
Any pointers on preparation and Q's I may be asked will be greatly appreciated!! I really need to secure a place, so I can finally get out into the big wide world and help those in need. 💙💚💛💜
J x
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You will probably be asked:

Why that university?

Why that course?

Also,

MR's top 3 tips for a successful interview:

- Act comfortable not confident. Trying to appear confident risks looking cocky. Behave as though you are enjoying being in the environment and that the idea of a one-to-one is something you would like and be suited to. So relax and feel as though you fit naturally into that academic environment.

- THINK ALOUD. This is the big one. Listen to the question, think about the answer, communicate these thoughts to the interviewer. Don't feel that you have to deliver a succinct answer quickly: this is a discussion, not a quiz. The interviewers wish to see your thought pattern, they wish to see the logic you are following in order to reach your point of conclusion (i.e. your definitive answer). Don't rush that. Don't be afraid of silence either, but if you are thinking seriously about the question then do it out loud.Image

- Stop and evaluate yourself as you go. Don't feel like you need to stick rigidly to everything you've said. I found myself partly disagreeing with my first sentence in my response after I'd thought about it (aloudImage) for a couple of minutes. Don't be afraid to stop and say "well actually, when I first said that... it might actually be ..." This doesn't show indecision, it shows you're open to other ideas and it means you're making your answer stronger. The interviewers will try to throw problems at the answers you give anyway, so anticipate what those might be as you're delivering your response and answer them before they're asked.
Punkypunk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you both. That's put me at ease somewhat. I am also worried that they will decline me because of my appearance 😥 I'm covered in tattoos. Do you think this will mark me down?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Punkypunk)
Thank you both. That's put me at ease somewhat. I am also worried that they will decline me because of my appearance 😥 I'm covered in tattoos. Do you think this will mark me down?
Unless it's a case where tattoos might be significant (e.g. Teachers aren't allowed visible tattoos and I imagine they'll be other scenarios) then this shouldn't matter. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to make decisions based on appearance in interview (I might be getting that confused with jobs though). So just relax, keep calm and focus on what matters and what you're passionate about.:yep:
kodakid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hey, I am in my first year of mh nursing at uni of nottingham and for there I had an mmi (multiple mini interview) and my other university interviews were individual interviews.

Generally:
-stay calm
-trust yourself
- remember they want you to do well
- expect the unexpected
- focus on the positives but also be aware of things you can/are looking to improve on while on the course
-remember you have been selected for an interview so they must have liked your application

specifically for you:

- why mh nursing specifically
- why uni at this point in your life/ mature student

things that came up a lot for me: communication skills, what would you do in X situation, why nursing and why that field of nursing, expectations of the course e.g. placements, experiences of leadership/teamwork/helping people/effective commuincation

In a nutshell always keep in mind why you want to do the course and why you think you'd be good at it! Remember there is only so much prep you can do (could write down things from your personal statement to keep in mind/ future ambitions/ specific interest on the course such as a module you are looking forward to/get people to ask you why you have chosen that course and frame a response) but the most important thing is to believe in yourself (soppy, I know)

Good luck! Don't hesitate to ask me any other questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (2)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (2)
16.67%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (4)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
16.67%

Watched Threads