Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    I have received lots of manifestos for the position of deputy speaker. I wish you all the best of luck.

You may now ask questions.

Jacob E

04MR17

AphI, Aph, doth hereby proclaim that I, Aph, doth hereby announce that I, Aph, doth hereby stand to become the deputy speaker of the house. As DS I would work with Dayne to create new and interesting debate threads to try and encourage activity in the house, I wouldn’t make Cran’s mistake and leak any information, and indeed will actively work against Skype making further inroads into the house and lastly I would bring my knowledge, experience and thick skin to the bare in helping our new speaker get to grips with how things are different and handling troublemakers.

Thanks.

AFCWimbledon2

Saracen's Fez

SakuraCayla

joecphillips

Jacob E 04MR17 Aph Afcwimbledon2 Saracen's Fez SakuraCayla joecphillips
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Good luck to all candidates.

(Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    04MR17 so could you clarify what your strategy will be to draw new people into participating here?
    A few things.

1. I'd try to be a friendly face to existing members to try to make sure they stay around, particularly those MPs who vote without contributing much to discussion.

2. Using the News and current affairs forum to our advantage. If TSR users find a particular issue is really worth talking about, we should capitalise on that while it's still in the news, write some legislation (probably just a motion will suffice). If it's a subject TSR users are passionate on, we may as well try and use that to draw more people in.

3. Using the Debate and current affairs section in two ways.

3.a.) to discuss issues that more people can get involved in. If there are people who are actively involved in these debates then I'd send them a PM asking if they'd like to be involved.

b.) To raise issues that are being discussed in MHoC that the rest of TSR users could happily contribute too. I've already tested this out, in the Educational debate forum and I think the results based on number of replies are quite exciting.

4. If elected, my first thread would be in Chat, and it would be "I've just been made Deputy Speaker of TSR's Parliament AMA". While advertising the forum isn't a done thing, reminding users it's there wouldn't hurt.

5. Asking the CT for more promotion during election periods, or casual promotion during quiet periods on the site. I'm pretty sure they'd oblige too.:yes:

6. An idea that I shall shamelessly steal from Lord_Mediocre is trying to get more women into the forum. I think that will fit well with some other things going on on TSR now and in the future, and I'm sure it will be a positive addition to the site, and our forum.

ReputationRep:
    So DayneD89 finds out I’m a Mackem and I magically end up last, seems more than a little coincidental

Good luck to everyone

ReputationRep:
    Wowser ok.

There are three people on there I will consider voting for so to all candidates I ask this.

- There has been clear complaint about the non binding aspects of the Guidance Document in recent times. Would you be willing to undertake a full review to clear up what is binding and what is not and move what is binding to the constitution.

- How would you help to change the 'toxic atmosphere' that has developed between certain members of the house.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So DayneD89 finds out I’m a Mackem and I magically end up last, seems more than a little coincidental

Good luck to everyone
    I hadn't even noticed that! In fairness, though I found out that you're a mackem way after I had done the randomiser to sort the order. Or that's what I'm going to claim anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    Wowser ok.

There are three people on there I will consider voting for so to all candidates I ask this.

- There has been clear complaint about the non binding aspects of the Guidance Document in recent times. Would you be willing to undertake a full review to clear up what is binding and what is not and move what is binding to the constitution.

- How would you help to change the 'toxic atmosphere' that has developed between certain members of the house.
    It should be said that two full reviews have been completed in the past, because MPs are lazy the reviews are rejected leading to the problem getting worse. To show how bad the problem is, one review corrected all of the grammar in the guiding documents and removed clauses not used because they related to the MUN or other things not in operation: it was rejected. If the Constitution and GD are going to be cleared up MPs should start considering the amendments they are voting on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    Wowser ok.

1. If that is something dayne would like me to do as ds I would happily do it, I believe the ds is there to assist.

2. I believe that is something that only individual members can change, I may be pretty great but I can not control people.

If the house decided to include rules for conduct outside of tsr rules then I would help enforce them but I can see that causing more problems.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is a strong field of candidates and I look forward to a fascinating campaign. My vote will be going to Afcwimbledon2 as I think he would compliment DayneD89 the best and give the type of advice that he needs, specifically with regard to opening speeches, events and building a press.

My question to all is a simple one that I hope will make people's decision easier if they are yet undecided: name the main reason why people should vote for you over the other candidates for Deputy Speaker.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    If you became DS what, if any, pet projects would you like to oversea?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have a rough idea in my mind. I'll ask questions to narrow it down.

1) What is the biggest problem the MHoC faces and how are you going to address it?
    2) What will you do to ensure that the community's image is not toxic and unattractive to observers and new members?
    3) How long do you intend to serve as Deputy Speaker?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the wishes of Good Luck. I wish the best of luck to all of the candidates

I've just been to see Hamilton (And yes it was amazing) so once I get back on my train I'll try to answer as many questions as I can
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to all candidates.

Afcwimbledon2 @Fez (won’t let me tag you for some reason)

Why should the house vote for you over the other candidates when you have refused to resign your respective leadership positions? Especially when the last DS went down in disgrace over a politically motivated scandal.

Particularly to Wimbledon, this would mean you potentially be Liberal Leader, DPM, Chancellor and Deputy Speaker. How can the house trust you to execute all of these offices to the best of your best ability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I don’t have any pet projects I would like to oversee but I am always happy to lend a hand to any member who asks and I will oversee any you ask me to.

(Original post by Saunders16)
    This is a strong field of candidates and I look forward to a fascinating campaign. My vote will be going to Afcwimbledon2 as I think he would compliment DayneD89 the best and give the type of advice that he needs, specifically with regard to opening speeches, events and building a press.

My question to all is a simple one that I hope will make people's decision easier if they are yet undecided: name the main reason why people should vote for you over the other candidates for Deputy Speaker.
    I won’t try to force my ideas into what dayne wants to do, I will do the job and assist him in any way he asks whether that’s advice/giving an opinion or running/overseeing something.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    So questions:
    Jacob E one of your aims in your manifesto is ‘stories’. If you were elected deputy speaker, how often would we expect to see ‘stories’ and to what role would you take part in producing them? (I really don’t have anything specific to ask)
    04MR17 so could you clarify what your strategy will be to draw new people into participating here?
    Aph why did you decide to use ‘doth’? In all seriousness, you say you have thick skin, but how will you assure us you can handle the stress of the role?
    Afcwimbledon2 you mentioned helping to build up a press: any specific details on this and how exactly would this change things?
    Saracen's Fez well we can trust you know what’s needed to the job. Would you be offering something new that none of the other candidates are suggesting or will it be a ‘don’t fix it if it isn’t broken’ sort of of strategy?
    SakuraCayla you wish to ensure the house is kept enjoyable, so what measures would you employ to address the concerns of a ‘toxic atmosphere’ that some of our members have brought up?
    And finally joecphillips nice to see the admission that you have no life 😜 along with the mismatch of colours in your manifesto; I don’t know what to think of that. How exactly will you help out Dayne in regards with automation, if in anyway?
    Edit: good luck to all anyway!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)

1) What is the biggest problem the MHoC faces and how are you going to address it?
    2) What will you do to ensure that the community's image is not toxic and unattractive to observers and new members?
    1. I would say the biggest problem is an activity issue, I would support dayne however he wishes to do it or take the lead if he asked me to.
    2. That’s on members to police themselves, unless they want to give the speaker the ability to punish people the say are toxic.
    3. As long as the house wants me.

(Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    So questions:
    Jacob E one of your aims in your manifesto is ‘stories’. If you were elected deputy speaker, how often would we expect to see ‘stories’ and to what role would you take part in producing them? (I really don’t have anything specific to ask)
    Aph why did you decide to use ‘doth’? In all seriousness, you say you have thick skin, but how will you assure us you can handle the stress of the role?
    Afcwimbledon2 you mentioned helping to build up a press: any specific details on this and how exactly would this change things?
    Saracen's Fez well we can trust you know what’s needed to the job. Would you be offering something new that none of the other candidates are suggesting or will it be a ‘don’t fix it if it isn’t broken’ sort of of strategy?
    SakuraCayla you wish to ensure the house is kept enjoyable, so what measures would you employ to address the concerns of a ‘toxic atmosphere’ that some of our members have brought up?
    And finally joecphillips nice to see the admission that you have no life 😜 along with the mismatch of colours in your manifesto; I don’t know what to think of that. How exactly will you help out Dayne in regards with automation, if in anyway?
    Edit: good luck to all anyway!!!
    I’m unsure at this time that is something we would have to discuss as soon as you all vote for me
    I don’t deny it, I always campaign strongly for that award in Jacob’s alternative awards.
    My manifesto is different, the original draft was a bit brighter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Personal projects would be satirical story-writing to be able to give weekly to monthly stories based on the doings of the MHoC, and look to hold Alternative Awards on-site to bring more activity to the MHoC because they provide long conversations off-site which other members miss out on. From the projects members like to bring up, I would choose to oversee MP appointments, voting reviews, and verifying results.

(Original post by CoffeeGeek)

1. Members need to do more things, it could be writing bills, debating, or chatting: members need to do more. I would fix the problem by increasing my own rate of doing things to set an example.
    2. I do not believe it is toxic, some members get along more than others; it reflects reality.
    3. I do not plan to quit; I would leave the role when I am elected Speaker or removed from the position.

CountBrandenburg the ideal situation would be to have weekly story updates based on the weekly doings of the MHoC but they would likely be monthly because there are weeks when not a lot happens. I would be the writer, the editor, and the publisher; I worked well with QQ so we might do more together.

ReputationRep:
    Joe manifesto design is pretty crap those colours hurt my eyes. Now on to questions.

Afcwimbledon2 Why should people vote for you when you have said you were planning on leaving in 6 months? This house needs stability don't you think your short tenure as DS will cause instability?

SakuraCayla Why should people vote for you when you quite inactive and have a habit of disappearing from the house? We need someone who is active and reliable.

Jacob E Why do you continue to run in these speakership contest knowing the odds are stacked against you?

04MR17, SakuraCayla Afcwimbledon2 Do you think you are capable of handling constant criticism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Best of luck to all candidates.

Afcwimbledon2 @Fez (won’t let me tag you for some reason)

Why should the house vote for you over the other candidates when you have refused to resign your respective leadership positions? Especially when the last DS went down in disgrace over a politically motivated scandal.

Particularly to Wimbledon, this would mean you potentially be Liberal Leader, DPM, Chancellor and Deputy Speaker. How can the house trust you to execute all of these offices to the best of your best ability?
    That's because you are tagging the wrong person lol

Saracen's Fez ^^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Joe manifesto design is pretty crap those colours hurt my eyes. Now on to questions.

Afcwimbledon2 Why should people vote for you when you have said you were planning on leaving in 6 months? This house needs stability don't you think your short tenure as DS will cause instability?

SakuraCayla Why should people vote for you when you quite inactive and have a habit of disappearing from the house? We need someone who is active and reliable.

Jacob E Why do you continue to run in these speakership contest knowing the odds are stacked against you?

04MR17, SakuraCayla Afcwimbledon2 Do you think you are capable of handling constant criticism?
    You have forgotten Fez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob E)
    You have forgotten Fez.
    I did not forget Fez or even Aph I have no questions to ask them yet.

Will you answer my question above?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.