?
Report 11 years ago
your joking?!
naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Interesting to me as I'm thinking of moving to Manchester. I found that people were very snobby about my Midlands accent when I went down south.
A Stranger in Moscow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmm, well my cousins are from Liverpool/Wales and are always teasing me about being a Southener...
And telling me I'd have a better time at Leeds than Exeter 'cos it's North vs. South.
coldwind
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by blondevalkyrie)
your joking?!
Joking about what?
zillysteph
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
its just banter - blimey dont think there's any 'direct' attacks still going on...
milly.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My great uncles used to call my dad a "Southern streak of piss". I *think* he was joking...
coldwind
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by zillysteph)
its just banter - blimey dont think there's any 'direct' attacks still going on...
Oh no I hope not...that'd be awful. I meant as in general different treatment, eg, being ignored maybe? comments about accent?

Not actually shootings or anything lol
Sidhe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I read that a local youth had held up a driver with a gun and snatched a laptop out of a car in Leeds the other day. Then I realised the story must be false as there are neither laptops, roads or cars in the North and the primitive natives are simple hunter gatherers with only rudimentary stone tools.
Spinal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I prefer the North due to my infatuation with chips and peas/gravy that unfortunately, the South cannot satisfy.
ThatLauren.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Erm, no I have never experienced any brutal Northern racists when I've been up there.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When I lived in the South, I didn't think there was a North/South divide at all. However, when I moved to Preston I noticed that a lot of Northerners seemed to have prejudices/false beliefs about the South.
My flatmate had a particularly strong belief that people from the South were snobby, that the South was boring, and 'grey', and that Southerners were unintelligent. He took every opportunity to point these beliefs out to me, as I was the 'new Northerner' then, and had no regional accent - he was always making fun of the fact that I'd grown up in the South, and could be quite rude to both me, and my other Southern flatmate.
When I confronted him one day, when he was being particularly harsh about it - he said 'Well, I bet Southerners are exactly the same about Northerners'; and I told him that as far as I knew, they weren't - that kind of thing was never mentioned at all when I was growing up.
Other Northerners are the same, but on a much less serious level; my ex-flatmate was the only person I've known to have real prejudice on more than a joke level.
So yeah, it seems to be a very one-directional thing from my experience.
Overground
Badges: 17
Report 11 years ago
I'm from the Midlands so get called Northern in the South (all Southerners I speak to think its bloody hilarious to say 'anywhere further than Watford is North... lolz') and a lot of people I've met that are Northern considers me Southern, even though I speak with a Brummie accent! I would consider myself neither really, despite having Southern parents..

Anyway it is more 'banter' than anything, no actual attacks or violence lol.

However when I was near London and met a load of my cousin's mates, they were constantly ripping the piss out of me for being 'Northern' (not that I can't handle this, I give as good as i get ), but I did think they treated me difference because of it, if not intentionally. I got the impression they thought I was some sort of hard-as-nails pikey, when in reality my area and surroundings are far nicer than there's

Don't think there's any real animosity, just banter and a fair amount of ignorance.
Metamorphosis_S
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I went for a week to Newquay in the summer and the amount of aggression between northerners and southerners (men mostly ) absolutely astounded me. There were so many fights and people got really really hurt. A group of boys from the hostel I was staying at 'got started on' by a group of northern boys (not saying it didn't happen the other way round too), and one of them ended up with a broken wrist and a bleeding nose.

It's so stupid, I can't believe this stuff actually still happens
lucyb-90
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Tsk you should trying lving with Scots who have prejudice against the English and accus the English of being "arrogant and ignorant"...
Jason Sparks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, personally, the only people I have known from 'up North' have quite shocked me. One said that they frequently went 'gay bashing'. I'll be quite honest here, from the representations on display, my stereotype of the typical 'northern' person is not favourable. Quite honestly, they scare me; that, and they seem to have quite primitive attitudes towards women, race and sex.

I'm not saying our Southern counterparts are any better, actually. In fact most men i have encountered in Brighton and Sussex have been idiots. I don't think it's so much regional divide as it is a class divide. Polite society is polite society, whatever region; and, consequentially, polite attitudes are polite attitudes; perhaps they sound a little better espoused with a certain accent.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by lucyb-90)
Tsk you should trying lving with Scots who have prejudice against the English and accus the English of being "arrogant and ignorant"...
I can imagine. Possibly the lowest and most worthless variant of humanity you're likely to come across. What worries me is how people in Scotland tend to shrug it off.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
I can imagine. Possibly the lowest and most worthless variant of humanity you're likely to come across.
To be fair there are bigoted idiots everywhere, Scotland is no worse than most places that way.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
To be fair there are bigoted idiots everywhere, Scotland is no worse than most places that way.
Yes, but what confuses me is the way it is laughed off, belittled and even encouraged by those who should know better.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Yes, but what confuses me is the way it is laughed off, belittled and even encouraged by those who should know better.
It always seems that the most confident kind of scots aren't like that about England, but maybe thats a misperception...?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.08%
Not great so far... (220)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.09%

Watched Threads