The Student Room Group

Heath Ledger found dead: Your reaction

Hollywood actor Heath Ledger has been found dead at a downtown Manhattan residence, a New York Police Department spokesman has said.

Police are investigating whether the Australian actor, who earned an Oscar nomination for 2005 film Brokeback Mountain, died of a drug overdose.

The 28-year-old was found dead in the SoHo flat at around 1530 (2030 GMT). US television reported that his body had been found surrounded by pills and police said they did not suspect foul play.

Ledger played the Joker in the soon-to-be-released Batman film, The Dark Knight. He also starred in A Knight's Tale and The Patriot, and played a suicidal son in Monster's Ball.

What's your reaction to the news? Did you ever meet him? Send us your comments

Click here to read the main story (on the BBC website)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is really sad I feel for his daughter.
I'm wondering if it was because of his split from M Williams.
Its really sad, i never pictured him as the type of person that would take drugs but i guess the life of the rich and famous is completely different to ours so we'll never understand.

R.I.P.
I'm shocked, I was watching a few of his films today. It's so sad. Also, it's such a shame that 15 years on from River Phoenix's death, these tragedies are still happening. It's a celebrity culture that needs to be questioned, in my opinion.

Heath was such a talented and promising actor, with so much more to give. I truly feel for his family, especially his young daughter, at this time.

RIP Heath Ledger
1979-2008
I'm heartbroken and sad, but as I mentioned here, Sky "News"'s coverage of the news was really questionable.
My reaction? Just another exampel of a weak man who wasted his life - he had any and all resources at his disposal to sort himself out.

ultimatley he was weak and has now left his chidl without a father.
Reply 7
So sad and a waste of life :frown: He planned it cos in this interview about The joker - he says 'this will be the most fun I've ever had on a film', how can you predict the future?
Harriellie
I'm wondering if it was because of his split from M Williams.

Sky were almost trying to shove the blame onto Naomi Watts. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
I highly, highly doubt he planned it. Dont jump to conclusions!

But I'm shocked and deepy saddened! He was a fanatstic actor, such a waste of a life and great talent.

RIP Heath Ledger.
Reply 10
xmisshapenchaos
I'm shocked, I was watching a few of his films today. It's so sad. Also, it's such a shame that 15 years on from River Phoenix's death, these tragedies are still happening. It's a celebrity culture that needs to be questioned, in my opinion.

Heath was such a talented and promising actor, with so much more to give. I truly feel for his family, especially his young daughter, at this time.

RIP Heath Ledger
1979-2008

I agree with this. Look at Owen Wilson (yeah I know he failed at it), Kurt Kobain, Marilyn Monroe...there seems to be something really strange about it that turns the people in to drug addicts, or dead.
I mean, Britney started off as a bright young thing with a great future, with her it just seems like she was just used by the media and now they're demonising her. Obviously these people must have some responsibility but people don't tend to look outside the issues of the individual.
Reply 11
I got the impression it was an overdose of painkillers or something, not drug drugs, the way they described he was surrounded by "pills". Maybe it's just me. Anyway, sad news.
I'm really really shocked.
Reply 13
I'm surprised- he hasn't been one of those people who are well-known for using drugs. It's really sad. A lot of people are saying it was suicide as for the last few months he has rejected a lot of film offers. I don't know if there is truth in that. I do think it's a shame- he was just beginning to show his true talent. RIP
Reply 14
I am truly in shock.. he was such a great actor in 10 Things I Hate About You, one of my favourite films

I honestly can't quite get my head around it

RIP Heath
I'm saddened by the loss his family and friends must feel right now, but I'm even more saddened by a HaveYourSay thread within minutes of the news. Can't we just let the police finish the investigation and give the family some room to react?? I know no one close to Heath will ever see this thread but this will no doubt be the reaction across the globe.
Reply 16
You should see how fast wikipedia updated...
Reply 17
It is kind of a wake-up call- People die every day; young,old,rich,poor: no exceptions.

It's just sad that people who on the outside seem to have everything shockingly turn to suicide, which in my opinion is the most selfish act a person can do.

Not implying that Mr Ledger did commit suicide, but just in general.
Reply 18
It's really sad.
Apparently he was found by his housekeeper with lots of pills scattered round him.
&he's been linked with Owen Wilson's over-dose as well.
Reply 19
It's so sad, i was shocked when i saw it on facebook.

Latest

Trending

Trending