Trying to decide - psychology, criminology or some other course? Watch

Traore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm in Year 12... I always got A*s in my GCSE mocks but for some reason I got a high C (the teacher said the grade boundaries changed by 13% but I must've still done bad).

I've always been engrossed by crime and seized the opportunity to take this further in my EPQ, looking at serial killers.

I'm not sure what course to think about doing at uni though..
Nottingham Trent University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Traore)
I'm in Year 12... I always got A*s in my GCSE mocks but for some reason I got a high C (the teacher said the grade boundaries changed by 13% but I must've still done bad).

I've always been engrossed by crime and seized the opportunity to take this further in my EPQ, looking at serial killers.

I'm not sure what course to think about doing at uni though..
Hi Traore

Great to hear that you are starting to look at the choices available to you at University.

Based on your interests, there's a range of courses that you might want to think about studying (but no limited to):

BA Hons Criminology - The course offers an exciting combination of the theory, policy and practice of criminology and criminal justice studies, a flavour of the modules that you'd be taught are:

. Explaining Criminal Behaviour
. Law, Sentencing and Punishment
. Miscarriages of Justice

Msci Forensic Science - This course provides you with a deep knowledge and experience of techniques relevant to forensic science, both at the scene and in the laboratory, and an understanding of legislation and legal procedures. Some of the modules that are taught on the course include:

. Professional Skills for Forensic Science
. Forensic Analysis
. Ballistics and Firearms

BSc (Hons) Psychology with Criminology - This course degree combines a comprehensive training in Psychology with the study of criminal behaviour, types of crime, and knowledge of the criminal justice system. Some of th emodules you wouls study include:

. Understanding Crime and Society
. Policing

Some university courses will differ in what the course includes but hopefully this will give you a flavour of th etype of courses you could study if you wanted to persure your interests

Chris
Traore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Nottingham Trent University)
Hi Traore

Great to hear that you are starting to look at the choices available to you at University.

Based on your interests, there's a range of courses that you might want to think about studying (but no limited to):

BA Hons Criminology - The course offers an exciting combination of the theory, policy and practice of criminology and criminal justice studies, a flavour of the modules that you'd be taught are:

. Law, Sentencing and Punishment
. Miscarriages of Justice

Msci Forensic Science - This course provides you with a deep knowledge and experience of techniques relevant to forensic science, both at the scene and in the laboratory, and an understanding of legislation and legal procedures. Some of the modules that are taught on the course include:

. Professional Skills for Forensic Science
. Forensic Analysis
. Ballistics and Firearms

BSc (Hons) Psychology with Criminology - This course degree combines a comprehensive training in Psychology with the study of criminal behaviour, types of crime, and knowledge of the criminal justice system. Some of th emodules you wouls study include:

. Understanding Crime and Society
. Policing

Some university courses will differ in what the course includes but hopefully this will give you a flavour of th etype of courses you could study if you wanted to persure your interests

Chris
Thanks Chris!

These are the three courses I am most interested in. I don't consider myself to be a scientific person yet the prospect of working within forensics is compelling. I also spend a lot of time watching and reading about crime (my EPQ is about Jeffrey Dahmer) so I'd love to learn about criminology or psychology too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads