Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    G601 is going to be a better choice if solely focusing on a software development career, right? But for an IT job in general, is G601 going to be looked down by G400 because G601 focuses more on a specific aspect of computer science, rather than all of it in general. Or is it the opposite, G601 is going to look better on a CV in any job because its still computer science, but focused in greater detail at a certain element of it instead of the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    The most important questions are -
    - What do you enjoy doing most?
    - What kind of job are you most interested in applying for at the end?

Firstly, you will have no problem getting a programming job with a computer science degree as long as you are actually competent at programming - that's a fairly normal thing to do.

If you do a software engineering degree and then decide you want a job in some other IT discipline later on, then that's also not uncommon. The important thing employers look for in a graduate is having technical skills, the ability and willingness to learn, a good attitude, good "people" skills, etc. Your choice of career isn't going to be cut off just because it's not a perfect match for your degree.

There'll always be some variation at different universities, but at least for my course at Staffs Uni, G600/G601 has been heavily focused around programming and various aspects of software development, so I imagine most universities will be similar. You'll probably find about half the modules are programming-based, with several others which are related (directly or indirectly) to programming in various languages and software projects (e.g. Object Oriented design, UI design, web development, mobile development, databases/SQL, project management..)

With that said, there's almost certainly going to be some some general Computer Science thrown in with software engineering, because programming is based on that - data structures, algorithms, some maths, hardware, electronics, networking, etc.

Even on the G400/401 courses, you'll probably find at least a few courses cover those software engineering modules - most likely at least one or two programming languages (perhaps assembly too in a hardware-related module), and I'd assume it'll cover databases and project management too. There'll be a lot of cross-over.

Some courses include a placement/sandwich year as well, so that's something else to consider from a career point of view, although with G600/G601 you'll probably be expected to go out and specifically get a programming job, whereas I imagine a computer science/computing degree will give credit for almost any kind of technical IT placement.

Also, for G600/G601 it'll probably be mandatory that your FYP is a software development project. I think you get a lot more choice with computing or computer science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterscoming)
    The most important questions are -
    - What do you enjoy doing most?
    - What kind of job are you most interested in applying for at the end?

Firstly, you will have no problem getting a programming job with a computer science degree as long as you are actually competent at programming - that's a fairly normal thing to do.

If you do a software engineering degree and then decide you want a job in some other IT discipline later on, then that's also not uncommon. The important thing employers look for in a graduate is having technical skills, the ability and willingness to learn, a good attitude, good "people" skills, etc. Your choice of career isn't going to be cut off just because it's not a perfect match for your degree.

There'll always be some variation at different universities, but at least for my course at Staffs Uni, G600/G601 has been heavily focused around programming and various aspects of software development, so I imagine most universities will be similar. You'll probably find about half the modules are programming-based, with several others which are related (directly or indirectly) to programming in various languages and software projects (e.g. Object Oriented design, UI design, web development, mobile development, databases/SQL, project management..)

With that said, there's almost certainly going to be some some general Computer Science thrown in with software engineering, because programming is based on that - data structures, algorithms, some maths, hardware, electronics, networking, etc.

Even on the G400/401 courses, you'll probably find at least a few courses cover those software engineering modules - most likely at least one or two programming languages (perhaps assembly too in a hardware-related module), and I'd assume it'll cover databases and project management too. There'll be a lot of cross-over.

Some courses include a placement/sandwich year as well, so that's something else to consider from a career point of view, although with G600/G601 you'll probably be expected to go out and specifically get a programming job, whereas I imagine a computer science/computing degree will give credit for almost any kind of technical IT placement.

Also, for G600/G601 it'll probably be mandatory that your FYP is a software development project. I think you get a lot more choice with computing or computer science.
    OK, a lot of good points and some great insight. I've definitely decided to go with software development, I was just wondering if there will be any disadvantages if I choose to stray a little off that path. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.